Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sucks to have this shit happened in winter and it totally ruined my plan. I might just go for all season tires this year and don't bother snow tires cuz February is coming...I don't feel like spending money on winter tires again at this point in time.

So I need to drive the car uptown, maybe to Missisaugar? but I don't know if it is safe to do so. What do you think? :(

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Take the back ways in, and don't do more than 80 kph. Your spare is good for up to Mississagua.

If it gets really bad, and you haven't mae it up there, I can lend you one of mine for the time being...

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too bad I need to get it settled before Feburary cuz I'll need to go home for my grandma's birthday. And one of my aunts and cousins are coming from Saskatchewan as well. I have yet to see them since I was borned. Damn... :(

Chris, you got a PM.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Speaking of temporary use only. My cousin's friend drove on his spare for over a year, and even though it said 80kp/h max, he wanted to see what would happen if he went over that. He did about 175kph for about 1 minute, and got board after nothing happened.

I'm sure they are designed to take more punishment then what they say.

But be aware of young people in beat up civics. :eek:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
it'll prolly be fine, i knew a guy that went from ottawa to toronto at 120 in his older accord with a spare on the front..no issues

however the tire was so hot at the end he said you could have fried an egg on it

you will be ok for the short term, but i'd get a new tire this week for sure
and try to avoid the highway

·
Registered
682 Posts
yeah, don't ride on your spare for too long,
i've heard it can mess up your the spare tires, alignment and brakes....
use is as temporary only..
(correct me if i'm wrong)[/b]
It's a much bigger deal for you all-wheel-drive Speed6 folks. Having one tire of significantly different diameter can screw up the centre diff, if used for a prolonged period of time. It's not as bad on a FWD setup, but it still makes the diff work harder to compensate for the different wheel speeds.

ABS will get con-fused as well...

I don't think so. Those are winter tires.[/b]
Have a look - I'm sure that the Michelin snowies I bought have road hazard warantee...you may be in for a free replacement tire!

·
Registered
684 Posts
It's a much bigger deal for you all-wheel-drive Speed6 folks. Having one tire of significantly different diameter can screw up the centre diff, if used for a prolonged period of time. It's not as bad on a FWD setup, but it still makes the diff work harder to compensate for the different wheel speeds.[/b]
That is what i thought too...i've asked the sales how come the spare came in 17"? when OEM are 18".....
i know most AWD cars inculding the Suzuki SX4 AWD, they come in OEM size spare tires....

·
Registered
682 Posts
^^^ Really? What are the dims of the 17" spare? If it has a higher sidewall, it may be the same diameter as the OEM 18's...

I'm actually surprised that they could fit a 17" spare in the trunk, as I would think that the trunk floor well would have less space with all of the extra all-wheel-drive goodies.

I can't fit my 16" snowie into the trunk of my 6s as a spare, so I'm stuck with ye 'ol donut :(

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
The hatch is 1000 times better at hauling anything than the sedan.

When I went AutoXing with Richard he could fit all 4 race tires in the hatch with all his tools.

In my sedan I have to put at least 1 tire on the back seat, and my tools behind the driver seat. I'd say for day to day use the hatch is FAR better than the sedan.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL...I agree. With the seats down, there's plenty of room back there and you can do almost anything you want. :jackoff:

But we're talking about the place that we put the spare in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.