1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Is it all the same?'

Totally different systems.

TCS = Traction Control System

LSD - Limited Slip Differential

TCS is going to help by applying power and brakes to individual wheels to regain traction.

LSD stops wheel hop when accelerating in a front wheel drive vehicle.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Are you sure you are not talking about DSC?

DSC = Dynamic Stability Control = Different sensors track in what direction you are steering and whether or not the car is actually turning in the right direction. If both sensors do not indicate the same rate of turn, a skid is detected and brakes are applied individually to each wheel to help get out of the skid.

TCS = Traction control system = In acceleration, if a sudden increase in the rotation speed of your wheels is detected, the throttle of your engine is reduced to prevent wheel slip.

The European Mazda 6 has DSC and TCS standard (I think). Us North American folks only get TCS (as an option). .... shudder ...

Frankly, this jumble of acronyms is a mess. Car manufacturers often use different acronyms for the same systems and often go as far as using the same acronym for different systems.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yes, that's correct.

TCS reduces engine effect until you get the grip back. It doesn't prevent the wheels from sliping though, just increases the chance of getting the grip back.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Oh. Shoot. I don't like the engine reduction part of these systems. I thought that was a function of DSC.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

No, that function of DSC is DSC. TCS is TCS and that is only engine reduction.

However, it works fairly good, and my wife had me promise never again to buy a car without it. Now even she dares going out in an intersection on a slippery road...:D

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Yeah - I have DSC on my car now and love it. My dad's Camry has TCS but I don't recall any engine reduction - perhaps his TCS is really a LSD?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Perhaps. But as someone stated a few posts above - these three letter descriptions are a real mess. Especially since the same three letters may reappear on another brand but mean something else there...

My present 626 has ABS, TCS, ACC but no DSC or EBD.

In a commercial right now here in Sweden, Renault make fun of these three letter thingies.

They claim to have

VCS (Very Clever Stereo)
and a few similiar nonsense abbreviations. Fun! :D

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Yeah those adds are quite smart.

The one I love though is a two-page add with a picture of an .. Merc C-class as I recall it. Then there's the headline "Welcome to the club". It refers to the Euro NCAP crash tests where the C-class was the second car after Laguna 2 to get five stars.

Bu the way - hope thet the 6's will be a five as well! It has that important belt warning and a lot of bags and that stuff!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Originally posted by Steve 6er

Perhaps. But as someone stated a few posts above - these three letter descriptions are a real mess. Especially since the same three letters may reappear on another brand but mean something else there...[/b]
Ahhh...that explains a lot - I thought TCS was a "standard" system - the same on all cars.

So the '6's TCS reduces engine power, but perhaps my dad's TCS is a differential of sorts.

VCS (Very Clever Stereo)
and a few similiar nonsense abbreviations. Fun! :D[/b]
I want KAS (kick-ass stereo)!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

Yeah - I have DSC on my car now and love it.  My dad's Camry has TCS but I don't recall any engine reduction - perhaps his TCS is really a LSD?[/b]
Camry never came with an LSD. And no aftermarket company made one either.

·
Registered
244 Posts

There are three types of traction control:

Limited Slip Differential: Transfers power to the wheel that has the best traction. Some systems transfer power to the wheel with good traction control before slippage begins.

Brake System Traction Control: The braking system controls each wheel. This system is designed for low-speed slippage and uses the same sensors and equipment used in Anti-lock Braking Systems (ABS).

Drivetrain Traction Control: Reduces power to the slipping wheel or wheels at any speed. Uses the same equipment used in anti-lock brake-type sensors to: close the throttle; cut the fuel supply; slow spark timing; or shut down cylinders. Some drivetrain traction control systems perform all four functions simultaneously.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Though LSD isn't a feature that will help traction in the winter, for example. Or rather it's not promoted for that feature. IE:The Missan Spec V comes with an LSD. It does so becuase with almost 200lb of torque it would wheel spin even on a dry-pavement launch.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Sigvard: Yes, that is it. And if you tie those up, you have three additional abbreviations...:sarc

Anyway. You could say that cars that don't have DSC (or similar) usually have the simpler kind of TCS (based on power reduction); but that also goes for Mazda. And it's a good system, although not perfect.

I haven't yet had the opportunity to try the Mazda6 TCS out and compare it to the one in my present 626, but I will. Soooon! So...I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

I haven't yet had the opportunity to try the Mazda6 TCS out and compare it to the one in my present 626, but I will. Soooon! So...I'll keep you posted.[/b]
This is interesting as the Australian spec cars get neither DSC or Traction control.:(
Given that even the base model over here is a 2.3L and in manual form it makes for quite a lot of fun

Had the demo car happily spinning the wheels in second gear on dry roads :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts