Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have driven both, is the 6i noisier than the 6s? I don't trust much of what they say so I'd like to hear from some owners--the people whose opinion really matters. They say in their May report that the 6i is noticeably noisier than the 6s at all speeds.

They also say to avoid the sport package because it gives a rougher ride without improved handling.

They also claim that the controls in the 6i are easier to use than the controls in the 6s. I thought the interior was the same! :sarc

·
Registered
837 Posts
Reading Topic: Is Consumer Reports right about the 6i noise?

Your best bet is to test both car. Sometimes CR do make mistake. According to Mazda, all model verision has one suspesion setup, different only difference is the 6I comes with 16" wheels and tires setup and the 6S comes with a lower profile 17" combo.

These tires/wheels combo could cause some extra noise in the cabin but both car have the same insulation material. The 6I and its I4 engine will probably whine more than the 6S V6 so there is some extra noise. But the overall sound should not be unbearable.

The climate controls are different because the 6S comes with ACC (Auto Climate Control) while the 6I only comes with regular CC. The ACC is where you set one temperature and the computer does the work for you.

But the main thing is to experience it yourself.

·
Registered
432 Posts

Noisier? Yes. I had the i at first and now have the s, and I would say it's definitely louder (not in a bad way though). You hear more at idle and more growl in the higher RPMs.

Its not uncommon for the 4 banger to let more noise in than the six though.

As for the controls, the automatic a/c in the s takes more getting used to than the manual controls in the i. Theyre not complicated though, in my opinion. It takes seconds to have it figured out.

·
Registered
315 Posts

CR is sometimes whacked about their "observations".

The larger more sport oriented tires normally are noisier due to tread pattern.
Also, the ride can be "rougher" if you don't like "sport" feel. CR has a problem with sporty feeling cars. They like soft riding cars much more. The 17's are a lower profile tire with stiffer sidewalls.
So, you have less sidewall to flex and what sidewall there is is less flexible. How does this affect ride quality and handling? Ride quality will become a bit stiffer and you'll "feel" the road more because the sidewall won't flex as much providing additional bump absorbtion as a taller and softer sidewall. But, the positive, if you like more "sport" in your car, is that the smaller and stiffer sidewall holds it shape better during cornering and helps to not allow the tire to "roll over" onto itself because the sidewall is holding the contact patch flatter.

Also, there IS a slight difference in suspension between the 6i and 6S. Mazda adjusted the spring rate on the V6 model to compensate for the additional weight of the engine. I don't know if they adjusted damping to deal with the higher rate of the spring but there is a difference in suspension between the two.

As for the controls, Casper has explained it. :)

Tome

·
Registered
56 Posts

I can't tell if a I4 is louder then a V6, cause no V6 is available in Europe. :) generaly I would say that Mazda6 is having troubles with noise isolation.

Even when I listen to the BOSE at the maximum level it is almost the same inside and outside. And it frustrates me, cause I like to listen loud, but I don't want to annoy others on the street.

·
Registered
230 Posts

I test drove the 4 cylinder today, and I must say, I was incredibly impressed with how quiet it was. I was driving 80km/hr in 4th gear, and there was hardly any engine noise to speak of. It was great!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Is Consumer Reports right about the 6i noise?'

Originally posted by Steve 6er

May I suggest headphones?

:)[/b]
Hehehe... depends on where you are, I guess. Driving with headphones on is illegal in the U.S. ;)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Is Consumer Reports right about the 6i noise?'

Originally posted by SDSilver6

Originally posted by Steve 6er

May I suggest headphones?

:)[/b]
Hehehe... depends on where you are, I guess. Driving with headphones on is illegal in the U.S. ;)[/b][/quote]

And with good reason! People driving with cell phones and burgers are bad enough! We don't need to completely segregate people from the cars around them!

·
Registered
231 Posts

When you rev the engine it is quite noisy. I would guess it is quite a bit noisier than the V6. It seems to have a real humm at about 3000rpm. I find the car very quiet on good roads and very noisy on harsher gravel.

I wouldn't say it is too noisy but it is noticable.

·
Registered
260 Posts

its louder than a family sedan like accord or camry but quiet for a sporty type car.. but i4 is louder yes, but i like that tho =]

·
Registered
71 Posts

Engine noise for i4 is quite ok untill you have to drive for long time at speed >130kmh when engine is making more than 3500rpms.
Suspension is also quite noisy, especially this is noticable on bad roads (like we have here in Latvia).
Anyway the noise isolation for Mazda6 in Europe is WEAK.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts