Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching a movie today where an SUV took a tumble and kept rolling. In one of the scenes, you could see the passenger's head (dummy obviously) in the sun/moonroof and exposed to the road. When I started to think about it, it worries me a bit that I would be getting a 6 with a sunroof when it would pose a potential safety hazard to the car occupants. What are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Reading Topic: Is a Sun/Moonroof safe?

your seatbelt tensioners should keep you in place and not allow you to move vertically in your seat, so as long as you have head clearance where your not brushing the moonroof you should be fine, not sure whats going on in the video. Becareful of those UV light waves though :)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

So I guess its all about the seat belts eh? :) By the way, when do we get to see more pics of your car? :D

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I don't think you have much chance of a '6 rolling...Much much much less than an SUV, at least.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Is a Sun/Moonroof safe?'

Originally posted by applejax

I don't think you have much chance of a '6 rolling...Much much much less than an SUV, at least.[/b]
thats what i was thinking

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Yeah. And to be safe get some Eibach springs for it. That thing will never tip.

If you slide into a curb the wheels will break off before it flips. No worries.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about the sunroof either. I had a 4Runner with a huge one and I survived just fine :) course I didn't take it out and roll around with it either. If you are worried about glass just take a look at your windshield, you have a much more likely chance of going through that piece of glass than you do the sunroof.

The main thing you have to worry about when it comes to sunroofs, is that it may leak. The seals around a sunroof are very expensive, and are prone to leaking. As long as you have the warranty you should be covered.

Another bad thing about sunroofs, is that if you have enemies, it may present an easy target on your car.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

That's why Volvo wants to integrate steel bars into their sunroofs. :D They say it's much safer that way. We all know that Volvo is always concerned about safety issues.

Edit: Here's a picture

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

But when rolling - isn't there a risk of "falling out" of the seatbelt? I mean if you roll the car... say in a 45degree angle to the left (seen from the drivers seat) - then you'll be looking "down" on to the passanger seat - and in that direction is there no support from door panels - your upper body would "hang down" towards the center of the car. If you do the same thing but the car is upside down - you would hang with your head towards the sunroof opening.

But I suppose there is a very low risk of sustaning more "damage" whith a sunroof then without. After all - wouldn't there be reports on that? Like the failing "trunk"-doors on the Voyager (was it that one? It was a american van at least..).

But don't .. I think Mercedes, have sunroofs that automaticly close when it senses that the car is tipping over.

Kingcaid : Eibach springs won't help you if you drive of the road down a slope/ravine (small one of course - a 20 meter drop would kill you even if you had a Hummer..).

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

I don't know about the 45 degree angle and all that, but isn't there a risk to everything you do? I mean I could have the safest car in the world, and get ran over by a Pinto while I'm crossing the street on foot.
I guess I generally don't worry about stuff I can't change, I like sunroofs...why I don't know since its only good on a cloudy day, on sunny ones you just bake. The problem with cloudy days is that you gotta worry about it raining. But anyway, I like it so I don't worry about the 5% possible increased risk in having it. I worry more about it leaking, or what happens if it gets stuck open while its raining...simple stuff like that :)

·
Registered
322 Posts

I have a friend in the emergency services who has seen a couple of people lose their heads through a sunroof, having rolled their car. I think the main problem is it reduces the structural integrity and the roof caves in a bit when you're sliding along upside down. Just gotta hope that the triple-H security cell prevents that on the M6. :)

The way I ended up looking at it was it's safer than a convertible ;)

And if you're really worried / plan to roll your car, put a roll cage in it if the triple-H isn't good enough.

Personally, I'm more worried about having my head cut off by a truck, because instead of impacting with the front of your car and having all that protection, the height of the truck means the bonnet goes under and the crash starts half-way up the windscreen, about head-height.

And then finally the engine hits the wheels of the truck, the airbag and tensioners go off, and you get pinned to your seat upright ready for your execution ;)

-- Rainchild

·
Registered
117 Posts

That is one horror scenario, you got there, Rainchild!

BTW, has anybody found any crash test results on the M6? I've searched NHTSA, Euro NCUP but no data!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Yeah.. I know I saw something on TBS (I think) once that said if you are about to roll over, cross your arms around yourself. I guess it helps prevent too much injury and kinda helps keep you in place. They also said to hold onto a bar in front of the dash on vehicles like Wranglers when you start to roll. Pretty intresting show.

·
Registered
391 Posts

Sunroofs can be a bit dangerous like if you drive and tree hit's the top of ur car. But hey, if tree hits it, your not gonna be safe with the heard top neither. It's pretty same as your windows.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

If you would fit all cars with 6-point belts two things would be achived:

1. No risk of falling out. Even a cab would be safe (with a roll bar)
2. Every car would have these cool Recaro seats and would look as true sports cars :)

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Is a Sun/Moonroof safe?

Hmmm...steel bars in the sunroof...come on people...hello!!!

:p

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by Driver6

Hmmm...steel bars in the sunroof...come on people...hello!!!

:p[/b]
Yeah - next step would be to make it out of the same metal as the car...and fasten it so it's part of the roof and can't be opened. That's much safer.

·
Registered
286 Posts

Isn't that what the lap restraint is for. If you check your owners manual, they tell you to place the lap restraint over your lap, not your hips. And you're suppose to keep your seat upright. So, in case your car does decide to roll, the seatbelt will lock and the lap restraint will keep you from going "up" toward the roof, while the upright seat will keep you from flying back or at least at an angle that will allow you to slide out of the seat. In a roll (if you have time); you're also told to cross your left arm over to your right shoulder and place your right arm to your left shoulder and to grasp the seat belt tight so that your arms don't get crushed by the car if it rolls and go out the window. You should practice doing it every once and a while to get the motions down so that it become reactionary.

As far as rainchild's horror scenario, you can easily avoid becoming "light headed" by ducking into the passenger's seat, if you have time. I know it would be difficult to maneuver around the shifter and arm console, but I'd rather get bruised from hitting that than losing my head.

Realistically, I know that these might not help in every scenario, but you should be aware of your surroundings and other drivers. I know it's difficult to trust other drivers on the road because you don't know if they're safe to themselves or others, but you need to know who's around you and how they are driving. One time I got caught up in a hit-and-run accident, which was not my fault. This girl lost control of her car and swung across two lanes of traffic. Luckily I was watching all the drivers around me and saw her just in time as she was about to hit me. I slammed on the brakes (slowing from around 65 to 15) and pulled as far into the shoulder as possible without hitting the barrier. Unfortunately she still hit me and pushed me into the guard rail, but had I not been paying attention, I could have possibly been forced into the guard rail at a higher speed and potentially done more damage to my car and myself. After hitting me, she swung back across the two lanes of traffic and hit or caused two mini-vans with families to hit one another. Luckily nobody was hurt.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts