Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...I've looked at a great deal of threads from all over the planet and still have not seen this done, I have the inline ipod switch ordered from RPM and that should do the trick for the audio side of things, but I have a lot of video on my pod that I would like to be pushing to the nav screen.

I'm thinking about the basic video spliter that's being sold by RPM, it would seem reasonable to be able to push the video to the unit with no problems. This unit also says they have an rca input for a backup camera based on a reverse switch...doesen't that mean I could put a switch in and gain an additional input for a dvd player too...seems reasonable to me to think that it would do this.

Just curious if anyone has done something like this?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ok...I've looked at a great deal of threads from all over the planet and still have not seen this done, I have the inline ipod switch ordered from RPM and that should do the trick for the audio side of things, but I have a lot of video on my pod that I would like to be pushing to the nav screen.

I'm thinking about the basic video spliter that's being sold by RPM, it would seem reasonable to be able to push the video to the unit with no problems. This unit also says they have an rca input for a backup camera based on a reverse switch...doesen't that mean I could put a switch in and gain an additional input for a dvd player too...seems reasonable to me to think that it would do this.

Just curious if anyone has done something like this?
[/b]
sounds simple enough to me

·
Registered
693 Posts
Im doing the same thing as we speak... if your looking for a cheaper cable than belkins, go on ebay if your going to get that cable and look up camcorder a/v cables. or get the audiolink with the video output...

Have you recieved your navigation video box from yet?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im doing the same thing as we speak... if your looking for a cheaper cable than belkins, go on ebay if your going to get that cable and look up camcorder a/v cables. or get the audiolink with the video output...

Have you recieved your navigation video box from yet?
[/b]
No I haven't ordered the nav vid box yet, I am curious if your doing the same thing if you have thought about using a dvd player with the system. I guess what I haven't figured out is where I would put a switch for it...maybe in the center glove box..that would give you two inputs to the nav as I certainly have no plans for hooking up a ext camera...the input should be the same.

If you would come back and show some photos maybe of your install and where you put everything, I'm unsure what the heat of the car is going to eventually do to the ipod, but that's just the price of doing things...I'm too lazy to take it out everyday.

Look forward to hearing your experience.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Are you using the stock screen? I would be interested in the results as it seems I have heard alot of people say the resolution of the stock nav screen is so poor it doesn't justify this mod.
Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
693 Posts
i might be hooking up a dvd player.... not sure yet, but if i do i will go with the blaupunkt dvd-me player.

As far as resolution goes, I cant give an exact resolution but I can say the following. The resolution cant be too poor seeing as how the screen has to be capable of displaying text... I believe a guy on rx8club discovered its something like 640 x 480 (ntsc resolution).

Ill post pics as I get them, but if i could say a few words about the avelectronics video switching box. I had 1 in my 04 mazda 3, and I called them for support for my speed 6, THEY WOULDNT GIVE ME ANY SUPPORT!!! They thought I worked for a competitor, and they wouldnt give me ANY info.

Good luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is the $249 option from RPM the only option for this? I find that a little pricey to take advantage of a potentially low res screen.

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
get the ipod video out adapter for the audiolink from RPM...

http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.ph...products_id=363

that and the videobox should be perfect... :)
[/b]
Yep that's what I'm doing, I have the pod link on its way. I was thinking I will take a look at doing a trunk install for the vid box and doing some custom mount up front for the pod, I was looking last night and a mod to the ashtray should be doable...I like the idea of having both the ipod vid screen running and viewable while the nav is getting the same treatment.

I doupt the screens res is going to be much of an issue, but we shall see.....if so then it might have to come out and be upgraded.

I agree its not the cheapest mod, but I like to have the video ability otherwise its all go and no show.

·
Registered
249 Posts
i was talking to the guy who did the ashtry mod... he said he ended up scrapping that idea as he felt he did not have room between the shifter and the ipod...

·
Registered
693 Posts
FYI, Avelectronics wouldnt offer me ANY support for their own product.... They gave me directions from a 2004 mazda3, which does not have the same setup as our cars.... I did some of my own testing. Red wire = red, green wire = green, yellow wire = blue. I havent quite figured out the sync's yet, but if I am correct, white = vert sync, and black is horizontal sync... I AM NOT POSITIVE OF THE SYNC'S!! but anyway I have an avelectronics box, and avelectronics wouldnt give me ANY info, and couldnt find anything on here. SO HERE IT IS!

If any of you guys recieved your avelectronics box, and have the install directions, please post which colors are what. Thanks!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i was talking to the guy who did the ashtry mod... he said he ended up scrapping that idea as he felt he did not have room between the shifter and the ipod...
[/b]
Strange, on the ms6 I don't see the issue...plenty of room...I'm thinking I'll mod a docking station to the one that came with the ipod link..that should give me a good base...at least getting to everything isn't much of an issue, but I may go and see if I can find a wreck and pull that section out for testing the mod.

I'm going to order the av box today and see what happens.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK..

Well I finally did this install using the AVelectronics switcher ordered from the RPM Store, I wanted to point out that the guys at the rpm store really came through with some quick shipment to get my unit to me prior to me atending the winter palooza event down here in florida, everything worked out great.

The install took longer than it could have, but I really took my time and made up my own harness and mounting bracket so it would look and work flawlessly, I now have the ipod running the video out to the nav and for those who thought the screen wouldn't support anything that looked decent, well all I can say is you'd have to see it. The widescreen movies looked really good and everyone who's seen it was impressed.

I ended up placing a switch between the heated seat switches so it just blends in, I can switch now between nav,ipod and dvd if I decide to put one in, which I don't think I will bother with as conversion of a dvd to the pod is simple and no fooling around with disk.

I will say I think the company should be making up a harness for the installs, it could be easily done and you could return it to stock in a second if you wanted or needed to do so, but outside of that the unit works and does a great job..well worth the time and effeort imho.

·
Registered
82 Posts
do you have any screenshots to reflect the picture quality on the factory nav screen?[/b]
+1

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Any pics of the menu system etc on the screen?

I've just bought the OEM nav screen unit here for $250.00 AUD and wondering if I should down the path of ipod video... can you control the ipod completely from the steering wheel and factory HU controls? I'm planning on having the ipod live in my glove box alongside the audiolink and AVI units...

Cheers,
Kev

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Any pics of the menu system etc on the screen?

I've just bought the OEM nav screen unit here for $250.00 AUD and wondering if I should down the path of ipod video... can you control the ipod completely from the steering wheel and factory HU controls? I'm planning on having the ipod live in my glove box alongside the audiolink and AVI units...
Cheers,
Kev[/b]
Yeah you can control with with the steering wheel controls, and factory head, you can skip movies and go back, just as you would with the seek buttons. Problem is that if you chuck the iPod in the glovebox, you wont be able to go through the menu's if you wanted to go from playing a video...to playing music from the iPod. Hook up the audiolink and try it out you'll see what i mean.

I'm also going to get on this within the next few weeks. I'm just trying to figure out what screen to get, hopefully this Plenio one is worth the time and money.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ok, bringing this thread back from the dead, and I'm still a newbie, so forgive me if I'm wrong. So the OP hooked up an ipod adapter, video switcher, and a video box, and can now run music and video from the ipod to the factory nav screen? This is exactly what i want, anyone have more info on this setup? How do you route it all to the nav, and where can i get a video box?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts