Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently Mazda has partnered with Phatnoise to start offering Phatboxes as an OEM Mazda accessory. If you haven't seen a Phat box click here. Does anyone have any first hand experience with these things? Is the sound quality digital, which would be better than an ipod? Do they work well? Info would be appreciated. These things seem like a good idea. BTW, retail price is about $680.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Yuck, I'd rather get a $200 iPod video and a $100 adapter which will let me listen to a ton of music/videos in and OUT of the car.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I think the Phatbox is a great idea. Similar to the Kenwood Music Keg (which consequently is made by Phat Noise). I don't particularly like the idea of using a [insert the name of your favorited portable MP3 player here] and having to connect it everytime I get in the car. What happens when I don't have it with me? No tunes.

I've never used the Phatbox so I don't know if it's any good, but on the surface I have two problems with it:

1. Price is outrageous. :laugh:
2. It won't work with my aftermarket Pioneer head unit. :swearin:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
"MOST" people who have stock decks but want MP3 ability... Will get an iPod for car use only more or less.... You can get a cheap 20g ipod of ebay or anywhere... and just leave it in the car...

Sadly... I wasted a lot of money... like 300 bucks on a Video pod... which ended up staying in my car all the time... BUT... how hard is it to grab the iPod outa the console if you're going for a jog or something?

I'd much rather have a portable MP3 player I can use anywhere AND my car... than one that only sits in my car... and have to have ANOTHER unit for use elsewhere....

As it stands now... I can use the pod in my Car... Home Stereo... or a set of headphones anywhere... thats better than most portable sat radio setups that only work in vehicle and house..

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
"MOST" people who have stock decks but want MP3 ability... Will get an iPod for car use only more or less.... You can get a cheap 20g ipod of ebay or anywhere... and just leave it in the car...

Sadly... I wasted a lot of money... like 300 bucks on a Video pod... which ended up staying in my car all the time... BUT... how hard is it to grab the iPod outa the console if you're going for a jog or something?

I'd much rather have a portable MP3 player I can use anywhere AND my car... than one that only sits in my car... and have to have ANOTHER unit for use elsewhere....

As it stands now... I can use the pod in my Car... Home Stereo... or a set of headphones anywhere... thats better than most portable sat radio setups that only work in vehicle and house..
[/b]
Exactly, if you want a unit never leaves your car all you have to do is never take it out of your car. :huh:
Generally people pay more to have more options, not less. And how am I going to load music onto the phatbox? Bring my laptop out to my car? This is better than bringing an iPod into the house?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly, if you want a unit never leaves your car all you have to do is never take it out of your car. :huh:
Generally people pay more to have more options, not less. And how am I going to load music onto the phatbox? Bring my laptop out to my car? This is better than bringing an iPod into the house?
[/b]
No.....there are like harddrive cartridges that slide into the phatbox. In your house, there is a docking station for the cartridge.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Ok, that makes it better, but it still does not beat the iPod in:

1. Ease of use.
2. Range of functionality.
3. Price.

The biggest thing here is price. For that kind of money I'd rather get a carputer which will do a whole lot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I started out with that phatbox but ended up opting for the ipod set-up instead. Sound quailty is the same for both systems but I found that I liked ipod arrangement better.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yeah... I hate Apple (but thats a different thread)... However iPod is just about the best mp3 setup out there... That being said...

iPod setups that use the docking station plugin on the bottom are the best. Many vehicles claim "iPod" connector but are really just a 3/4 in jack plugin... which really works with any stereo output device...

"IF" mazda starts installing these phatbox units stock... you can't complain really. Though I highly doubt a car company would use a setup that has an "external" device... used to connect to PC's and such... All this aside... What mazda should do is pull their heads outta someones ass... And fucking make the decks read MP3 cd's to begin with... solving ALL of these problems. I'm pretty sure every honda... Acura... and you name it released anymore plays MP3 cds...

P.S.

Call me "racist" but anything that uses PHAT or other pop culture lingo... Is NOT ever going to be on my wish list. I don't want a "GangstaRadio" or ThugBeatBassBoosterAmps"... I want MTX... Pioneer... Diamond... Quality.. well known name brand... I guess todays youth is all about the gangsta image. So whatever they can do to market the thing...

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as I am aware, I haven't seen a 30K car come equipped OEM with MP3 changer. We have it as an upgrade for 500 bucks.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Speed6 comes with mp3 cd changer deck.... as an option? I didn't see any option like that when I went shopping?

Are you trying to say tha 30,000 dollar + cars are too "good" for mp3? Because like Scion.. Honda.. Toyota... and such come with mp3 decks...

Anyway doesn't matter... Bose is crap stereo equipment IMO... They claim it sounds SOOOO good... yet their systems lack a lot... In the speed6... its Bass...

No Highs, No Lows.. must be Bose

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Speed6 comes with mp3 cd changer deck.... as an option? I didn't see any option like that when I went shopping?

Are you trying to say tha 30,000 dollar + cars are too "good" for mp3? Because like Scion.. Honda.. Toyota... and such come with mp3 decks...

Anyway doesn't matter... Bose is crap stereo equipment IMO... They claim it sounds SOOOO good... yet their systems lack a lot... In the speed6... its Bass...

No Highs, No Lows.. must be Bose
[/b]
I'm saying that I never have seen a car come equipped with an mp3 changer if it costs less than 30K. You are right, the Bose system isn't so great. Their speakers don't last long and they are prone to cracking, but the Bost sure as hell does sound better than the Mazda 6 non-Bose stereo. That's why I got Bose when I got my 6s. But what do you want? As far as I know, BMW has an exclusive contract with Harman/Kardon so they are the only auto maker that can use them and Lexus has the same deal with Mark Levinson. That being said, I don't see thy other option. But it's been done a bunch, dynamat your decklid and doors and the Bose system will sound a hell of a lot better.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Harman IS Mark Levinson. Many companies use Harman. There isn't some exclusive contract. Harman is in business to make money so they'll sell to whoever will buy their OEM products.

I have put dynamat inside my doors and my deck lid and the BLOSE system sounds better.....not great but better.

By the way....the Focus for $12k comes with an MP3 CD changer.

Check this.... the only DVD audio OEM systems available. http://www.elssurround.com/default.asp

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Harman IS Mark Levinson. Many companies use Harman. There isn't some exclusive contract. Harman is in business to make money so they'll sell to whoever will buy their OEM products.

I have put dynamat inside my doors and my deck lid and the BLOSE system sounds better.....not great but better.

By the way....the Focus for $12k comes with an MP3 CD changer.

Check this.... the only DVD audio OEM systems available. http://www.elssurround.com/default.asp
[/b]
Forget the Bose, I want that ELS system. What car comes equipped with that? Just the RDX?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Ok, that makes it better, but it still does not beat the iPod in:

1. Ease of use.
2. Range of functionality.
3. Price.

The biggest thing here is price. For that kind of money I'd rather get a carputer which will do a whole lot.
[/b]
With only incar use consider... how does it not meet or beat iPod for ease of use and range of functionality. I'll agree completely on the price though.

And I'd voice the total opposite. removing something from your car leaves you open to forgetting it... which I have a tendency to do, particularly when in a hurry. iPod only uses AAC format... if you already have an archive in a different format... Apple sucks for you. I know it can convert it, but that is either more disk space or more time to transfer files. Both of which sucks.

$680 is a lot of $$. Depending on what you want... you can spend a bit more and build a carPC... get more music, nav, internet, etc.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Forget the Bose, I want that ELS system. What car comes equipped with that? Just the RDX?
[/b]
RDX, MDX, TL

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The Mazdaspeed6 does not costs less than 30,000.... YES some people managed to get a CRAZY huge deal on it... But for the first 6+ months the car was released.. the MSRP.. and all other factors.. the car was around 30,000 for sport and 34,000-36,000 for GT... Most people got GT for 30-32 range..

The Speed6 is a 30k car... just some are getting awsome deals for 25-28k... And Honda Civic.. 15k car comes with MP3... Scion tC 15k car comes with MP3... Bla Bla bla... Plenty of cheap... and spendy cars come with MP3... Mazda just decided to go with bose... which in my experience.... Bose tends to make very limited systems... They worry about speakers and echo quality between leather and cloth interior.. rather than features like MP3... and such...

Anyway this is kinda gettin off topic...

iPod or Phatboy... Seems like majority are against Phatboy because of the huge price and custom nature of it... Not many people want to spend that much money JUST to get MP3 ability... a good iPod setup will cost you 600+ but you're not only getting MP3 support in the car... but MP3 support anywhere else you might want to take it =)

·
Registered
209 Posts
My big thing i see..........is if you have a ipod and then get a phatbox.........all the music you bought on itunes you want to listen too........too bad....your just SOL. Thats only about $3 for me, but i know that a bunch of people spend hundreds on music from itunes.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
There is a way around that you know...

Uses your iTunes software to burn an audio CD of music from your iTunes library. Then rip the audio CD to whatever format... mp3, ogg, wma, etc. Yes it's a bit of a PIA... that's why I don't do iTunes or iPod.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts