Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been keeping my eye on a couple iPod adapters out there, and I have to ask, whats all this about a modification to the circuit board for the 04 models?

Does anyone have any insight on this and if so, is it a hard mod to do in order to use the auxiliary thing?

·
Registered
251 Posts
^ same q

·
Registered
157 Posts
There is a small resisor that has to be soldered in place on the head unit. i think i read somewhere that only about 50% of the head units have this issue. i cant the link right now but ill keep looking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
you dont have to do any of that. I have a 2004 mazda 6 and i added an ipod intergration without soldering anything cutting anything, only thing i had to do was screw something in. It depends on your dash though. My dash is a the standard cd player one, with no cassette player. All you do is take out the dash, screw the module into the cassette port, and run the wires out to wherever you want your ipod hooked up. Axxess iPod/Aux/XM Integration Kit for Mazda - Revolution Performance Motorsports!

·
Registered
157 Posts
^ just depends on what your trying to do and where the mod plugs in. I got my hands on an AuxMod and it just plugs straight in where the tape deck goes. but the one sold by RPM needs this modification from what i believe. but like i said above it was only a problem with some of the head units so you can always test before you attempt any modification

·
Registered
667 Posts
i have a 04 as well and have been holding off on adding iPod integration due to my complete lack of a soldering iron/soldering skill... I really want my iPod in this car though!

·
Registered
157 Posts
From what i understand, someone please correct me if im wrong, you can pop your head unit open and look for the jumper or just buy the unit your looking at and try it. if it works you dont need anything, if it doesnt pull out the soldering gun.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
I had to on my 04. I thought it was all 04's that needed soldering. If you've ever soldered before, it's quite easy to do. Just get the one you want and try it out...

·
Registered
667 Posts
Here is a link that was provided to me by the RPM store.

HU Modification (L716)

Walks you through it after the circuit board is out. I plan on being prepared to have to do this when i try iPod integration soon.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I had to on my 04. I thought it was all 04's that needed soldering. If you've ever soldered before, it's quite easy to do. Just get the one you want and try it out...
Mazda Gremlyn,

This is gonna sound a little stupid probably, but what wattage soldering iron should i get? I probably need one with a pretty small tip, right? should 30w do it?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Mazda Gremlyn,

This is gonna sound a little stupid probably, but what wattage soldering iron should i get? I probably need one with a pretty small tip, right? should 30w do it?

Thanks
I have a 50W iron. They all get plenty hot, but the higher the wattage the faster they get there. Of course, a 50W will get hotter than a 30W in general, but that wouldn't be detrimental to your project. A misplaced 30W or 50W iron will inflict similar damage.

And when it says 'jumper', I think I literally just put a bead of solder across without any wire or anything.

Reactions: voldsom

·
Registered
667 Posts
Awesome, XCarLink kit on the way from RPM, project for the weekend.

So I've seen a ton of how to's to get the stereo out, but for those of us with an 04 are there any pictures of taking apart the stereo to get to the circuit board? I just don't like going in blind...

Or is it obvious when you take it out which screws have to come out?

·
Registered
667 Posts
My soldering attempt apparently failed... XCarLink adapter still wasn't recognized after I took it all out and soldered the jumper... I did have some trouble trying to make a bead stay there though, not very experienced with PCB work... Not sure what I'm gonna do now :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts