Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, So I bout an FM modulator for like $30 bucks that plugs into my iPod and it really doesnt give the best sound quality. Actually i finally noticed how bad the stock stereo and speakers sound. I will be putting in some infinity kappa speakers next week. that should help alot with the sound quality. But is there a better way to hook up my iPod other than a FM modulator.

Here are my ideas:
1. Stick with the FM modulator.

2. Purchase the cassette player from mazda for the stock stereo and a cassette adapter, but the cheapest I have found the casette player for is $180 dollars from www.mazdastuff.com

3. Add an amp to run my speakers and plug directly into it. But do they make amps that can take an imput from multiple sources (like from the stock stereo using high level inputs, and my iPod)

Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated. And if you have already hooked an mp3 player up tell me what you did.

Also, Do you think I purchased good speakers?
Infinity Kappa 60.5cs (6.5" components for the front)
Infinity Kappa 62.5i (6.5" 2-ways for the back)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
628 Posts
Reading Topic: iPod hookup to stock stereo

That is exactly why I opted for the cassette player from the get-go. I tested out my Ipaq w/mp3's on it today and it sounded great through the adapter! Now my only problem is getting power to the Ipaq while it is in the box on the dash...The cable doesnt fit well with the lid closed...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yeah i think that is what im leaning towards doing...but the damn thing costs $180 from mazdastuff

oh well

·
Registered
204 Posts

I plug my iPod in using the cassette adapter. It sounds ok,,,, but not the same quality of a cd. I'm gona be finding a way to retro a mini jack to the stock. Someone I know has done it to another car so it has to be possible. As soon as I get some time I'll document how it was done and take pics.

·
Registered
126 Posts

I just got the iTrip today and the reception is HORRIBLE. Unless I put it in the back seat (near the antenna) or within inches of the stereo, I get static. I am very disappointed with it.

Damn it, now I'm going to have to wait until I can afford the mp3 player.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

yeah i thought of the itrip...but it doesnt work on the new ipods:(

Im using the belkin tunecast and the reception on it aint that good either

I have considered selling my ipod to buy the mp3 player...but i think that would be kinda stupid.

Oh well guess i'll just live with it

·
Registered
305 Posts

Weird. The iTrip works pretty well in my Mazda6, as long as I can find a clear station to tune to.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Where do you keep it, DennyA? I tried the console above the radio and the center armrest console, neither works well.

Maybe I have a defective iTrip. I have to be less than a foot away from a radio for it to work properly indoors, too.

·
Registered
628 Posts

Solved my power problem (with my Ipaq) with the PCMCIA sleeve (and a 5gb hd) the Ipaq fits perfectly in one of the cup holders. And it is even at a nice angle too! Honestly (no audiophile here) the cassette adapter is fine for me!

·
Registered
126 Posts

I contacted Griffin and they're sending me a replacement iTrip this week. I should have the new one by Friday.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Got the replacement today. It's much better. I get a range of 20 feet or so in my house and a strong signal anywhere in my car. It's not outstanding sound, but at least I'll be able to take my MP3 collection with me when I travel, even if renting a car.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Almost. It depends on the volume set on the iPod and the radio, and how far you travel (if you get within range of another radio station). My biggest complaint is that there's a high-pitched sound (kind of like an AM radio) when I turn up the volume. If I keep the iPod volume about half, and don't turn up the ratio too much, it's fine.

It's certainly not as good as a cassette adapter, but $35 is much cheaper than $180. Plus, not all cars I get when I rent have cassette players.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

OK, has anyone come up with a way to ACTUALLY WIRE STUFF into the head unit?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Replying to Topic 'iPod hookup to stock stereo'

Originally posted by Spiff                Almost.  It depends on the volume set on the iPod and the radio, and how far you travel (if you get within range of another radio station).  My biggest complaint is that there's a high-pitched sound (kind of like an AM radio) when I turn up the volume.  If I keep the iPod volume about half, and don't turn up the ratio too much, it's fine.  It's certainly not as good as a cassette adapter, but $35 is much cheaper than $180.  Plus, not all cars I get when I rent have cassette players.[/b]
Is there anyway to get the cassette player in the Bose config? That would be great if so

·
Registered
204 Posts

I got it put into mine and I have the bose. I think it makes the dash look better as well cause you don't just have a blank plate there.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: iPod hookup to stock stereo

So in short, nobody's actually wired anything into their Bose?

·
Registered
628 Posts

I had to dig for it but check this thread out

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

So I was talking to the guys at my local car audio shop. and clarion makes an in-line fm modulator that runs in-line with your antenna input on the back of the head unit and in gives you a set of rca inputs. Once you switch it on the only channel you can tune in is the channel you have the rca's set to. The reception should always be clear and it only costs $50.

So now i have to turn that cassete plate into a sort of pocket for my ipod, mount the on/off switch for the fm modulator, and find a way to hard wire one of those car power adapters to my cigeratte lighter and I'll be set ;-)

Maybe I should just wait for a dash kit for this car and use the wireless adapter i have now.

Anyone hear anything new about a dash kit for the 6???

·
Registered
166 Posts
Replying to Topic 'iPod hookup to stock stereo'

hey best buy does carry this item as well I just purchased it today $50 retail sku #5626717 its the kenwood Sirius FM modulator I'm not sure whether I'll have best buy install for me or not they don't have the dash kits and I'm not sure how careful they'll be w/ my car seeing how they haven't touched a 6 before. I may decide to do it myself tonight if i do i'll let you guys know how it turned out

1 - 20 of 28 Posts