Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered an iPod adapter for my MS6 from the dealer, got it at cost $119, it is suposed to plug into the back of the radio and use the CD input up front. All my concern is that the sound quality is true 100% digital.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Well, it's not digital, but it is a direct connection to the headunit, so it will sound the same as your CD player.

I suppose it's too late now, but there are a few advantages to purchasing the AudioLink unit that we sell on our website.

1) The Mazda unit does not allow you to control your iPod directly, instead forcing you to use some confusing headunit controls to get to the songs that you want to play. The AudioLink has two modes, one of which does allow complete control of your iPod, just as if you were listening with headphones.

2) The AudioLink includes a 1/8" stereo input that can be used to input audio from other external devices, such as satellite radio or a different brand of MP3 player. The Mazda unit does not.

3) The AudioLink has an optional cable that will allow you to output video from the iPod video to an external monitor. The Mazda unit does not.

4) It's the same price, or possibly cheaper, since shipping is free. To get the $119.95 price, you simply use the coupon code "6CLUBMP3"

Perhaps this information will help future buyers as well.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Doesn't the OEM ipod integration module allow for use of more playlists than the audiolink module?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Well, it's not digital, but it is a direct connection to the headunit, so it will sound the same as your CD player.

I suppose it's too late now, but there are a few advantages to purchasing the AudioLink unit that we sell on our website.

1) The Mazda unit does not allow you to control your iPod directly, instead forcing you to use some confusing headunit controls to get to the songs that you want to play. The AudioLink has two modes, one of which does allow complete control of your iPod, just as if you were listening with headphones.

2) The AudioLink includes a 1/8" stereo input that can be used to input audio from other external devices, such as satellite radio or a different brand of MP3 player. The Mazda unit does not.

3) The AudioLink has an optional cable that will allow you to output video from the iPod video to an external monitor. The Mazda unit does not.

4) It's the same price, or possibly cheaper, since shipping is free. To get the $119.95 price, you simply use the coupon code "6CLUBMP3"

[/b]
How easy is it to install any noob can do it or i have to get it done by a professional? And also what the person asked above i want to know to.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

[/b]
I sent you a PM about this.

I had heard about the Audiolink before when I was researching on doing the same thing with my 2004 RX8 but now I defently want to do it to the MS6.

THX for the 411

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Doesn't the OEM ipod integration module allow for use of more playlists than the audiolink module?
[/b]
Technically, no, since the AudioLink allows you to maintain complete control over your iPod if you choose. This, as I mentioned before, allows you to do anything with your iPod just as if you were listening to it with your headphones, with the addition of changing songs via the steering wheel controls.

In the AudioLink's "playlist mode", which allows you to jump directly to a playlist and then use your headunit to control playback, including random, FF, RW, etc, up to 9 playlists are supported. So, in this AudioLink mode, you are limited.

How easy is it to install any noob can do it or i have to get it done by a professional? And also what the person asked above i want to know to.
[/b]
It's quite easy to install. I'd say over 95% of customers do it themselves. To install it you simply need to pull out the center console. Once that is out, it's as simple as plugging in one connector.

If you want to see how easy it is to pull out the center console, check out this thread at Mazda6Tech:

http://mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=com...6&Itemid=49

This was written using a 2003 Mazda 6, but the procedure is still the same, even for the 2006 Mazdaspeed 6.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It seems like everytime I go to the RPM website the audiolink that I want is not in stock, any idea when they will be available?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
that is not good cause i want to order one to now.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It's quite easy to install. I'd say over 95% of customers do it themselves. To install it you simply need to pull out the center console. Once that is out, it's as simple as plugging in one connector.

[/b]
I purchased one from RPM. First one I got was defective, but they replaced it quickly and with minimal hassle. I'd agree it is easy to install.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
It seems like everytime I go to the RPM website the audiolink that I want is not in stock, any idea when they will be available?
[/b]
It is in stock. The only thing we don't have in stock is the line input and video combo cable. If you order one of the other cables, it will ship immediately. This is clearly stated on the website.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It is in stock. The only thing we don't have in stock is the line input and video combo cable. If you order one of the other cables, it will ship immediately. This is clearly stated on the website.
[/b]
Do you have a ballpark timeframe on the availability of the 1/8" connector w/video... have to have one of those
:love:

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Do you have a ballpark timeframe on the availability of the 1/8" connector w/video... have to have one of those
:love:
[/b]
We're looking at about 4 weeks right now.

Will the Audiolink work if I have factory Sirius satellite radio?

Thanks.
[/b]
No, it will not, since the factory Sirius unit connects to the headunit using the same port.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Been tracking the Audiolink for a while. Finally ordered mine just now. Thanks RPM.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I highly recommend the audiolink.And you won't get the type of service from Mazda that you will from RPM that is for sure. Excellent.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I'm still going to go with the Mazda version. As I will just have my ipod in the glovebox hidden away so I won't need to touch it, the Mazda version allows for greater playlist compatibility.

C

·
0 Posts
I had my Mazda dealer install the OEM Mazda iPod integration module in my 06 Mazdaspeed6. The instruction manual I downloaded from finishlineperformance.com was vague as to how this unit is supposed to operate, but after reading the manual several times, I'm fairly confident I'm doing everything correctly. When pressing the DISC+ or DISC- controls, I either get the songs on my iPod in alphabetical order by title, or the songs in alphabetical order by artist. It completely ignores any playlist. My dealer is of no help. The service tech switched me to the parts department where I was told that an iPod integration module was not available for my vehicle. Soooo what did they install then? The service tech doesn't answer my calls or return phone messages. It's been almost a week with no answer. Any suggestions?
By the way, I have a 30 gig video iPod

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I had my Mazda dealer install the OEM Mazda iPod integration module in my 06 Mazdaspeed6. The instruction manual I downloaded from finishlineperformance.com was vague as to how this unit is supposed to operate, but after reading the manual several times, I'm fairly confident I'm doing everything correctly. When pressing the DISC+ or DISC- controls, I either get the songs on my iPod in alphabetical order by title, or the songs in alphabetical order by artist. It completely ignores any playlist. My dealer is of no help. The service tech switched me to the parts department where I was told that an iPod integration module was not available for my vehicle. Soooo what did they install then? The service tech doesn't answer my calls or return phone messages. It's been almost a week with no answer. Any suggestions?
By the way, I have a 30 gig video iPod
[/b]
You have to update your ipod with the latest firmware.

Reactions: mtmountainman
1 - 20 of 22 Posts