Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Reading Topic: Interesting review

Ozzie, I assume you're in Australia? You should add your location to the profile.

Sounds like they didn't have a great experience with the car. But if you read around this forum, people seem pretty darned happy with theirs. Particularly good when you consider that forums usually exist for people to complain.

I guess the best advice would be to move to the USA where we have a more appropriate engine available, and dingos don't eat our babies. :)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replying to Topic 'Interesting review'

Yup i sure am an Aussie Boy *LOL*

I know i have read some awesome reviews of the mazda6 from this forum and from other Australia motoring experts, i guess im a little tense about buyin a car the first year its released!!

I'd hate to spend +$30000 on a lemon :(

·
Registered
305 Posts

Ozzie,

You guys get your Mazdas from Japan, right? I certainly wouldn't worry; Mazda has a great reputation for quality. My Miata (made in Hiroshima) is amazing.

I'm surprised they ran into quality problems with the Japanese version, actually.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

That review is...well...a bit ridiculous. I've read a total of three negative reviews of the 6 (and I've read hundreds). I guess this one is on someone else's payroll.

·
Registered
96 Posts

:zzz the only argument is that it is underpowered compared to some other boring car..

That just means that, like America, Australian fuel is too cheap ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts

Don't let someone else's opinion change yours. This guy has probably never owned a Mazda or a Japanese built car.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

yeah i guess you guys are right considering i'll be moving from my 99 nissan pulsar 1.6L manual to a 2.3L , I doubt I'll find it underpowered ;)

it was the faults the car had in that review which kind of shocked me considering i've always owned jap cars and never had a problem with them.

Hmmmmmm what to do LOL,

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

Best thing is to go to the dealer or an autoshow and have a closer look at the car for yourself. Take a spin, look at the finish of the car and then judge for yourself. It's you who is supposed to drive the car, not others. Sometimes journalists seem to be a bit biased, it depends on who is financing their magazines. This doesn't mean that they always are :)

·
Registered
315 Posts

The review was honest and didn't actually bash the 6 nor imply that it was/is a bad car.
In fact, in terms of reliability the writer felt that being a Mazda, the 6 was probably built well and will stay that way. The biggest cocern to that writer was a lack of power. Honestly, in my view, if we did not have the V6 option I wouldn't want the i4 6. It's a fine 4 cylinder engine in comparison to other 4 cylinder engines. Mated to the 6 chassis the i4 is a great combo. However, in the US we are more accustomed to torquier engines and those of us who like "sport" with out cars, also want to feel some of that torque.

However, taken in full the 6 is an excellent automobile, very capable of handling, twisting, turning, and braking better than most. You have to decide if those aspects outweigh the low output of the ie engine. Also, put the power in perspective as well. For the money, you may find more power but you have to give up the handling and other fine 6 qualities. What do you want? What is important to you?

Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it. You have to decide what is best for you.

Tome

·
Registered
322 Posts

I'm an Aussie '6 owner... and though I think you should really test drive the car to make sure it's right for you, I'll go through the review with yah..

Ok. Yep, the 4 cyls really could be better... but I came from a 1984 toyota supra (inline 6 cyl, nonturbo) and the power is good... much better from 3000rpm to 6500rpm on the M6 compared to the old supra, but the off-the-mark 0 to 3000rpm is a bit lacking... If I had my time over, I would learn how to drive a manual stick shift and would've got the manual sports '6... I've been playing with the activematic transmission... using engine braking, changing gears as I want, etc... enjoying it a lot... so for sure my next car is going to be a true manual. Just wish my '6 was too.

I think couple the 4 cyl with a manual transmission and the 'lack of power' really starts to not be an issue. Add to that the fact that there's TONS of space in the engine bay for a turbo :p Like to see Mr V6 Camry come up against a turbo M6.... anyway, I diverge.

The handling has been great, I took a cruise along the black spur, and great ocean road... no problems with falling off either :p

... next, the features ...

The BOSE stereo fucking ROCKS! You should hear some good drum and bass up at 20. Too loud to communicate over, and the stereo goes to 34 :p I'm a very music-oriented person, though, so maybe the priority isn't there for you... I was tossing up between a Subaru Liberty RX and the M6... and the second I found out the M6 had BOSE the Subaru just got forgotten :p

Mmmm, leather. The seats I find are nice.. they were pretty hard when I first got the car, and the drive down the great ocean road gave me a bit of a sore back, but I think we've come to an agreement now and the seats and my back seem to be getting along fine ;) I know one M6 owner in Aussie was having major problems with his back, but yeah any issues I had have gone away 3500kms later :) I wish the front passenger had electric seat though, its kinda shabby to give it to the driver and not to the passenger.

I'm disappointed that we can't get traction control here in aussie, I know it's an option elsewhere in the world, but I guess it's not that much of an issue since 0-3000rpm isn't much good for losing traction anyways ;)

The sunroof is nice.. I just wish it had automatic buttons, tilt a litte more, and you have to do a little mod (or push the wind deflector down) if you want it to be quiet at high speeds... just some small touches that would have been nice, that had been missed I think.

Road noise / engine noise... I usually drive with the windows down anyway so that's most of the noise there :p But with the windows up and stereo off? Yeah I can hear a bit, but nothing to complain about. Put the stereo up to 7 or 8 (pretty quiet) and the roadnoise is inaudable. Dunno what they were whining about. And the engine is quiet until it hits about 3500-4500rpm then starts growling... sounds good too. Have trouble hearing it over my techno most of the time though :p

And their complaint about tiptronic working backwards... I initially thought that too (my friend has a magna with tiptronic)... but it feels a lot more natural the way mazda have it. I push up twice from 4th, and I slip into 2nd, let the engine slow me down a bit, push up again, and I'm in first... very nice. I'm waiting at the lights... green. Stomp my foot and away we go. 0, 1000, 2000, 3000, 5000, 6500 slap it back and into second.... 3000, 5000, slap backwards it into third. Very natural. Like F1 racing car transmissions (right??).

Dunno what they did to their trip computer or odometer... that worries me a little, especially the odometer. Maybe it's not configured for the 17" wheels they had... so they lost their miles that way. I'll have to try it over a set distance sometime and see. No problems as far as my trip computer goes though. I wish it had a few more advanced status stuffs, like litres of petrol per minute, and some of the other bits my workmate's v8 calais has.

I had noticed that the radio aerial was a bit dodgy, but I never listen to the radio anyway... always CD's for me. The radio plays shit :p

Fuel economy worries me a bit... we're supposed to get 7.6l/100km on the freeway, and 10.0l/100km in the city... however for my first 2000kms it was more like 12.2 in the city... this is floating around 10.9/11.1 at the moment after 3500kms. If it's not gotten down to a more acceptable level by 10000kms I'll ask the service department about it. I know I have a heavy foot at times, but I've even tried driving like a granny to see what kinda miles I get and it hasn't helped. I was lead to believe that the fuel consumption would get better over time as the engine gets more settled in. Still, it beats the supra by a 150kms... used to get 400kms on the same amount of fuel that gets me 550kms now.

Build quality? Looks like they had some problems with their car... but I'm yet to have any issues. And that's what the 3 yr warranty is for right? If they have overlooked something, we can get it fixed up at no cost.

Still, 40k (or probably closer to 45-50k when you've optioned it up) is a fair amount of money to be throwing down, so you need to make sure you're happy with your purchase (if indeed you're getting the luxury model)... I know I've got a smile on my face every time I'm in the car :)

Hope my little spiel helps you come to the right decision for you :)

-- Rainchild

·
Registered
231 Posts

I think the reviewer honestly got a car that hadn't been gone over by the dealer properly. Things like the tach not working are usually the fault of the dealership since alot of gizmos are hooked up by them.

As to the power issue. I guess a 4cyl mated to a 4sp auto is a bit of a bad combination. I would wonder if the car had a 5 sp auto if it would be smoother and sportier feeling.

I've only driven a manual 6 and I thought it was fab! And I've never heard of anyone having those sorts of problems with a Mazda before.

AS to the article I think he was a bit justified. The ads try and sell the M6 as a sports car, but really performance wise you could get sportier cars for about the same money: WRX, MX5, Ford or Holden V6 Sport series, etc... A case could even be made for a similarly optioned Liberty RX. All of which are good cars in their own right.

I really reckon that the 6 has all these cars on style and day to day convenience. It is a real sexy car, as sexy as an Audi or BMW but costing a heap less.

·
Registered
119 Posts

The person who wrote that article is obviously NOT a driver. The 6 chassis is just so sweet & forgiving you quickly forget the slight lack of poke below 3500. If Mr cretin motoring journo, using the term loosly, was a driver he would understand that the best legal road drives are always in the twisties where mega HP/Torque just aint needed, nice but not mandatory, to have a ball of fun. I've just about adjusted to torque deficit, I traded a shitbox fallapart 5.7l V8 Calais on my 6.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Dealers set up very little. They don't hook up tach's and things of that nature. Usually, they check oil, fiters, air in tires, suspension, brakes. It's normal checking witha few items that may need adjustment but not much.
I agree, it's the dealers responsibility to make sure the car is working. However, it could be that the tach did have a failure.

"Like F1 racing car transmissions (right??)."

F1 uses paddle shifting I believe. Also, the trans is auto sequential but not a typical auto with a torque converter.

BWM changed their auto/manual position last year. They were doing the standard up to upshift back to downshift. Then, they decided that they would reverse that. I don't think it's more natural at all as it's counter intuitive, but that's BMW for you. They do wacked things on their motorcycles too. So, seeing that Mazda had BMW in their sights when building the 6, it's obvious why they did it that way as well.

For me, it's intuitive to move the lever 'up' to shift 'up' and move the lever 'back' to shift down, not the other way around. To each their own. :)

Tome

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by M-006

For me, it's intuitive to move the lever 'up' to shift 'up' and move the lever 'back' to shift down, not the other way around.  To each their own.  :)

Tome[/b]
I find it more intuitive to blip the manumatic down to shift up...go figure...must have something to do with natural movement.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Interesting review

Yes, it's more natural to go move "up" to "upshift" and move "back" to "downshift". :)

You must like unnatural movement. Just kidding.

I think it has to do with copying BMW.

Tome

·
Registered
837 Posts

You know why it feels more natural to "back" to "downshift" and "up" for "upshift", if you think about it that is how all automatic shifter are originally design.

Lets look at an automatic lever. It start with at the top P - R - N - D - L or whatever lower gear the manufacturer offers beside D and L. So if you did wanted to play with shifting the gears, you would put it all the way at the bottom and push "up" to get to the next gear. If you want to shift down then "back" the stick go toward the lower gears.

It is just natural movement that most automatic drivers are used to. So when Mazda decided to go the opposite direction, I can tell you I had a hard time getting used to it when I test drove the Mazda 6. :)

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

If u ask me I'd say the most natural is not to have an automatic, but a manual. Then it's up-down-up-down-up-down... :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts