Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, whats up.

Here is the deal: My dad has offered to get me a car before i head off to college. I am looking at 3 right now; the Mazda 6, the Honda Accord, and the Subaru WRX. I was looking at something in the the low to mid 20,000s range, or even lower. Well, today i went to my local dealer (Bakersfield, CA, USA) and i test drove the 6. It was a 4cyl, automatic, with the sport package (leather seats, 8 way adjustable seats, Bose system, 17" rims, areo kit, etc). I believe thats all it had on it. The first thing that shocked me and my dad was the pricing on the model. I mean, it was WAY more than edmunds was saying i should be paying (4 cyc) and it was a lot more than edmunds said i should be paying for the V6. I mean, it was close to $28,000, and this is a 4 cyl, not a V6. Although remembering my test drive (very fun, even though it was an auto) comforted me a bit. Now, i have been kind of turned off from buying from mazda because of this. Now, i am looking at the other 2 cars (haven't taken a test drive yet). Help me decide my pricing strategy, i am new at this because my dad is letting me make all the decisions!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Interesting pricing for the Mazda 6'

Some dealers tack on an extra markup on new models. Why? Because some people are dumb enough to pay it.

I payed about $1,150 below sticker for my 6s. Check with a couple of other dealers on price.

·
Registered
657 Posts

The dealer is trying to screw you because it's a new model and a lot of people don't price cars over the Net. If I were you, I'd use the Mazda site to email a whole bunch of dealers in your area (at least 10) and use them against each other to at least get it down to MSRP. NOBODY in NYC discounts below MSRP right now, the only reason I got a discount is because I'm friends of friends with the dealership's owner, and I only got $700 below MSRP. Also, try a place like www.autovantage.com to price your car, as they email dealers and have them compete over your business.

I just got my 6s LOADED (A/T, Bose, sport, comfort package, side airbags, leather, sunroof) for $25,800. There's no way in hell I'd pay more than MSRP for it.

As for your other choices, well.... The WRX is destined to be a lemon. Trust me on this one. If you get the manual tranny, you're going to break 2nd gear. It's not even a chance, it's a given. Not only that, but Subaru will blame it on YOU, saying you raced the car. Keep in mind, this is the same company that gives you a membership to a racing association when you buy the car. Think about that logic for a minute.... Yeah, exactly. :sarc

The Accord coupe is nice, although I priced one before I found the 6, and with the 17" wheels, the body kit, ect, it was close to an MSRP of $31K. For that price, I'd be driving an Audi.

·
Registered
231 Posts

I would go elsewhere and get a price. The price for the 4i loaded is low 20's not 28?!?!

There are also several internet options for getting a best price quote in your area... any of the carsales sites usually have a recieve a quote option... many financing companies will search out best price for you as well.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

UPDATE: The sales guy that me and my dad spoke with called me in the morning today. Now he is practically begging me to buy the car. He says "he doesn't want to lose a customer over price". The problem is that i only have one mazda dealer in my city and my dad doesn't really want to drive down to Los Angeles, even though i want to. I'll take a drive in the Accord and WRX and see how they feel. I wouldn't be buying a stick in any of the cars, i need and want an auto. Should i wait till about the middle of next year in order for the prices to come down or should i buy right away?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Buy now, Buy later. The age old question. Almost impossible for someone else to answer.

But I would sugest that if you are going to get an Auto to look at a 6s with just the 5sp Auto as an option. The V6 6s comes with all the extras ABS, ACC, power driver seat, ect. To me, the 4sp auto and the 2.3 are not a good match. I don't think the 2.3 with a 4sp manual would be a good match.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I can vouch a bit...

I need to buy an automatic (don't laugh - blame the wife!). drove the 6i auto. While the car was incredibly well balanced, it did lack a bit of zing (or zoom?). The i is an excellent choice for 98% of the population, but I think an enthusiast who has to get the auto (is that an oxymoron?) may be better suited for the s.

·
Registered
96 Posts

6s, auto, leather, moonroof, Bose= $23300 for me, $1700 off of sticker. They are willing to negotiate.

·
Registered
315 Posts

HI lads and ladies,

I'm looking at the 6 as well and I think this is the car I am going to get.
However, I'm still considering waiting for the RX8, we'll see.
As far as pricing, the price the orginating poster quoted it is way too high.
There is no reason for MSRP markup considering some areas in the US, most, are offering discounts from MSRP. California is usually notorious for markup on new hot selling cars. The 6 is starting to get much buzz about it's sporty nature and beautiful lines. Still, do NOT pay over MSRP. Build the car as you would like on Edmunds.com and take a printout with you to your dealer and ask them to beat the "TMV" price.

Here in the Chicago area the 6 is selling well. I am getting "S" plan pricing which is fantastic as it's just slightly above invoice.
We are only offered the sedan for now. I hate it when manufacturers only bring one model to the US. I'd love to see the sport hatchback in person. I like the lines very much and given the opportunity, I'd take that over the sedan.

How much price difference is there between the hatchback and sedan and wagon models in other parts of the world, where you actually get the chance to buy all the versions?

T

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

WTF is the dealer smokin. my 6s was under 24. he's on sum heavy shit. tell him to fuk off and charge u less than that.

·
Registered
231 Posts

The hatch is $1000 Australian dollars (56cents us) more in Australia. I wouldn't be surprised if it was either the same (because NA generally does not like hatches) or only $500 more when it arrives. However, I have been hearing of some strange pricing on addons: ie 1000 for a rear wing!

·
Registered
176 Posts

In Europe the difference between sedan-hatch-combi is about 500-700$.
I don't think there is any difference in options.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Replying to Topic 'I

UPDATE: I went to edmunds and configured the car the way i wanted it. the TMV is about 24,360 for the mazda 6s with the options that i selected. I am going to the Honda dealership tommorow to drive the 03 accord and look at some used accords. Then i'll go back to the mazda dealer and see what kind of deal i can get. I drove the WRX, i wasn't really impressed with the automatic or even the stick version. The sales guy called me again this morning, to see if he can get my bussiness, i told him i still had to drive the accord and i said i would get back to him......

·
Registered
391 Posts

IN my local mazda dealership in georgia, Mazda 6 I costs around $20,000 and S model is from $22,000-$23,500. Maybe I could get the S model with sport package for around $26,000.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

The RX8 will be a great car - if you can get away with it. More practical than a regular coupe, but not as practical as a sedan. If practicallity warrants it (or lack thereof); the RX8 will kick some a**.

·
Registered
391 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

The RX8 will be a great car - if you can get away with it.  More practical than a regular coupe, but not as practical as a sedan.  If practicallity warrants it (or lack thereof); the RX8 will kick some a**.[/b]
Dont forget that mazda rx8 has all new renesis rotary engine, which they said will be alot more reliable than rx7 was. 250HP nonturbo and with supercharger or turbo it should reach 320 HP no problem. 0-60 probably in 5's.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

UPDATE: I am going to Los Angeles tommorow for New Years. I hope some dealers are open...and i'll check on the prices down there and see if i can get a better deal. I can wait till about graduation to get the car, i just want to see what kind of deals i can work in a better market.....Until then, Peace!

·
Registered
657 Posts

Just use Mazda's website to email a few dealers within say, 50 miles of you, and get prices like that. Most places will give you their lowest price, because they know you're emailing dealers other than themselves.

On a side note, I did this while shopping for my 6s, an Audi A4, and a VW Jetta wagon. What the HELL are they doing at the Mazda dealerships? VW/Audi sent me concise, friendly emails, giving me a price, breaking down what options I wanted, and inviting me to come in for a test drive, after I sorted through all the emails and found the 3 lowest prices. And I got those emails (from 15 dealers) within 3 days.

Mazda, on the other hand, well.... I started shopping for the 6s on the 17th of December, and picked the car up on the 23rd. I emailed about 6 the dealers on the 17th. I've received 4 replies, the last one came on the 29th. 12 days waiting for a reply? And what was written in these emails.... It was like a semi-literate 16 year old girl wrote these on AOL while watching a Britney Spears movie. The emailw as in 5 or 6 different text colors, and I'll give you a quote:

"Thanx for dropping us a line, were (sic) really happy to be working with U.  Come in and talk to Jenni or Melissa, they'll get U what U need!

Laterz,
Melissa"[/b]
Thank god a friend of a friend owned the local Mazda dealership... They treated me better than any dealership I've ever seen.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts