Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anything like this has been posted already or not. I know there was talk, but nothing specific.

This was taken from http://www.thecarconnection.com on Feb 13.

Supercharged. Also interesting is the comments on the Mazda6. Check out the quote below.

"Mazda executives said they wanted to introduce the Mazdaspeed version of the Mazda Miata this week in Chicago, but that it wasn't ready. The Mazdaspeed Miata, expected to be at the New York Auto Show, will be supercharged and have Mazdaspeed body and trim treatments to differentiate it from the standard Miata. Mazda executives also said that their biggest problems with the new Mazda6 is product mix. Nearly 40 percent of orders are for V-6 cars, and that's compared with less than 20 percent for Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. Also, orders for the standard transmission version have far outstripped what Mazda planned for, with early orders running in excess of 30 percent. —Jim Burt"

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Reading Topic: Interesting Mazda6 Info

You missed the line above it!!

"Mazda executives, too, said they are looking to offer all-wheel-drive on the Mazda6 sedan."

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Wow, those percentages are very suprising for the V6 and the manual. I guess it's really showing that the '6 is a drivers car.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Yes, it's great for the car industry to see that there are still a lot of people who want a standard. Honda has been treating us like where a dying breed when it come to offering manuals. I think they just don't believe there are that many people interested. Now they know! Go Mazda!!

And for Toyota....well......does it really even matter?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

But one has to wonder about Mazda. With every TV commercial and Ad promoting "The 220HP Mazda6", what did they expect to sell???

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Cause Honda does the same thing. They always promote their V6 in commercials...but don't sell as many percentage wise.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Interesting Mazda6 Info'

Originally posted by LBJay

But one has to wonder about Mazda. With every TV commercial and Ad promoting "The 220HP Mazda6", what did they expect to sell???[/b]
I'ts interesting you bring that up, because just last night I saw a commmercial touting the 4 cylinder (I knew because of the CC's). I found it odd that they'd be promoting a "lesser model", but my only guess was to show the lower price.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Every midsize sedan touts their V6, but sell 80-90% 4 bangers. It's the halo effect. Somehow knowing that you COULD have bought the more powerful version gives you bragging rights when you're comparing your 160hp Accord to your neighbor's 150hp Camry. Go figure. I hope Mazda isn't losing a whole lot of potential sales due to their miscalculation.

On the bright side: AWD -- bring it!!

·
Registered
315 Posts

Honda does not sell a lot of manual Accords because the Accord is NOT a drivers car, it's a passenger, commuter car. I recently drove one and there was not one manual on the lot.
The Accord is competent and boring, and not for the driving enthusiast.

Mazda has a real sport sedan on it's hands and that is why enthusiasts have been drawn to it's larger engine and manual trans.

I hope Mazda ramps up production. But, please take your time and make them right not just fast to get them to market sooner.

Tome

·
Registered
220 Posts

Honda sells in fair numbers up here in Alaska but the real numbers belong to Subaru. There is a Legacy or Outback sedan/wagon in every driveway! (well, almost) Having an AWD option that will be as capable or as durable as Subaru's for a price more attractive than VW/Audi would be a coup for Mazda.

I'd like to see a Quaife differential for the 6 for those of us who already bought front drivers.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by cynder

Honda sells in fair numbers up here in Alaska but the real numbers belong to Subaru.  There is a Legacy or Outback sedan/wagon in every driveway!  (well, almost)  Having an AWD option that will be as capable or as durable as Subaru's for a price more attractive than VW/Audi would be a coup for Mazda.  [/b]
Do I have to say I agree?

I'd like to see a Quaife differential for the 6 for those of us who already bought front drivers.[/b]
Please expand.

·
Registered
517 Posts

Dang... I was about to post that same quote but was beaten to it!

Initially, it gladdened my heart to see these statistics. Looks like a higher-than-average portion of Mazda6 buyers are looking for the same sort of driving experience I'm looking for, which reinforces my impression that the 6 is my kind of car.

Remember, though, that in "mainstream" vehicle models, the "Enthusiast" version of a vehicle is often made possible by, or at least subsidized in part by, sales of the more pedestrian versions. I'm a little concerned that Mazda may be trying to sell high volumes of what is actually a niche vehicle. That is to say, there is no pedestrian version, only the Enthusiast version, and there are only a finite number of enthusiasts out there.

When I think about it more, though, I'm coming from the Ford perspective, where the Cobra, Lightning, SHO, SVT Focus, and SVT Contour drivers owe some thanks to the masses who bought "ordinary" Mustangs, F-150's, Tauri, Foci, and Contours. Mazda, on the other hand, appears to build primarily niche vehicles. I just hope the business plan for the 6 doesn't depend upon selling as many 6's as Honda sells Accords, because it simply won't happen IMHO.

·
Registered
980 Posts

I agree with you in that Mazda shouldnt try to outsell the Accord and Camry. But, they can really make some great sales if a lot of the enthusiast model is sold. Unless, the profit margin of the lower end (pedestrian) model is higher than that of the enthusiast model.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

It's the Mazda6 MPS version (a concept showcar, but it has been approved for production).

·
Registered
980 Posts

That's a nice car but i am not really feeling the colour. Everyone seems to have a silver car nowadays. Can someone photochop this and change the colour to Titanium (Mazda 6 colour) and gunmetal rims.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Interesting Mazda6 Info

That silver color isn't just any silver color. It's painted using a new paint technology. The paint is called Silver Storm and will only be available on this car...

It looks like no other silver metallic...

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Interesting Mazda6 Info

On that pic, it looks a little like silver/pearl mica! Nice nice! :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts