Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edmunds has clarified that the 6s AUTO, when simply mashing the accelerator (no torque braking); scoots the Mazda6 to 60 in 8.7 seconds.

Elsewhere on this forum I saw the 6i MANUAL tranny quoted at 7.8 seconds.

That auto tranny really sucks up the power, eh? Almost a full second slower despite a 60hp (~40%!!!) advantage. It's a darn shame nobody in the US drives stick anymore, cause it's pretty foolish not to. Faster off the line, better handling, and goes 6 miles-per-gallon farther? Not to mention $800 cheaper. Nothing can justify that sacrifice!

Except Mr. John Q. Public in America who'd rather drive while eating and talking on the cell phone, while ignoring gas prices and (what I perceive to be) common sense. Stupid people like that are the reason why I can't test drive a manual tranny 6 because not a single dealer in my area has ordered one. The dealers I've been in contact with have tried selling me autos in place of the manual, at MSRP no less. Pathetic!

Edit: Anyone through their break-in period yet and want to confirm that rather impressive figure for the 4cyl MT?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Replying to Topic 'Interesting Mazda6 0-60 times: 6i MT v. 6s AT'

In case I'm being too subtle...

I'm bitter.

;)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

I feel you pain, thankfully Houston (which has some real bad traffic) has dealers with 5 spds in both the i and s version available. I would say that you'd be safe buying one sight unseen, but I undestand why you would want to drive one first. I fear the day when the auto is cheaper than the 5 spd.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by stretchsje

In case I'm being too subtle...

I'm bitter.

;)[/b]
You could have fooled me!:D

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Keeping in mind that the dealer has 800 to gain from selling you that tranny.

And it's all personal opinion. Maybe some people don't really care about the difference in gas usage.

And it comes down to the old expression, to each his own. You could order a manual 6. And some people just want an auto. I don't know about you but I'm hardly going to loose sleep over someone elses choice of tranny.

·
Registered
70 Posts

yikes, i sure hope somthing was wrong with that particular car. an old 222hp maxima with a 4 speed and the same weight ran to 60 in 8 flat and the camry does it in 8.2. There has to be somthing wrong here, there is no way that a tribute with the same exact engine with 20 less hp, and more weight and a 4 speed (which was tested at 8.2 to 60) can beat a lighter, more powerful, better geared sports sedan. Somthings afoot

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Originally posted by Me

yikes, i sure hope somthing was wrong with that particular car. ... Somthings afoot[/b]
I agree, seems off to me. IIRC MotorTrend got like a 7.26 for the 6s MT. With the lower 1-2 gearing of the 5sp Auto, 0-60 times should only be a couple of tenths different. Will have to await some futher tests results.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Well, this is the time of just mashing the accelerator. Brake-torquing to 2000rpm brought the time down to 8 seconds. No doubt an even higher rpm launch would be quicker, but it's pretty foolish to drive your own car like that (unless you're not planning on keeping it more than 20k miles).

Car and Driver has 6.8 seconds for the V6 manual tranny, a second faster than the 4cyl.

But guess what: that doesn't change the fact that auto transmissions suck.

Even on the Maxima :)

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hey! I resent that! I can eat, drink, talk on the phone, and engage in numerous other umm, distractions. All while rowing through the gates of my 5 speed. Ha ha.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I was interested in the discrepancy between the 0-60 auto Vs manual. The manual times are faster, but they don't speak of how they launched. I wonder how fast Mr. Joe average can sprint to 60 with the 5 speed. Probably only .5 second slower then the auto.

The 6 Auto most likely suffers from a slow drive off the line. The motor is said to lack some ummf down in the basement.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

Even on the Maxima :)[/b]
hey, take that back! (2k2 max auto owner :p)

·
Registered
70 Posts

here are some times

all edmunds testing
camry 8.3
6 8.0
xg350 @3650lb and 192hp 7.7
accord 7.0

From car of the year in M/T

6 manual 7.1 15.2 @ 95mph
accord manual 6.2 14.5 @ 99mph

with the automatic, the 6 is just dog slow and is getting whooped by the accord and 350lb heavier xg hyundai. fairly pathetic and uninspiring. 192tq from a 3 liter v6 is a throw back to the early 90's maxima.

With a manual it fares better, but you can see the accord has much more pull at speed. although it is a 6 speed manual. Weights are almost the same.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Originally posted by SixAppeal

Even on the Maxima :)[/b]
hey, take that back! (2k2 max auto owner :p)[/b][/quote]

I'm not taking jabs at the Maxima, just automatics-- but in particular, the auto Mazda6.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts