Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as the 6 being a super car, yes it is. But you don't come to market with a great car in a segment that includes the NEW Honda Accord and give it a 4 month headstart. THATS bad. You have to give people a reason to buy the 6 over the Honda. Mazda has done none of that.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course it's probably of no interest whatsoever, but in most markets (North America is the sole exception); the Mazda 6 - or Atenza, in the case of Japan - is outselling the Accord by a sizable margin. In places like Japan, the ratio of Atenza deliveries to Accords is 5 to 1. Here in Australia, locals buy 12 Mazda 6s for every Accord sold. Mazda Australia is having problems getting enough cars - especially 5-doors - to meet public demand.

quote:
I think that Ford actually using a Mazda platform again instead of the other way around shows something. They took the best in their collection and ran with it, instead of the other way around.

and

quote:
The next generation Mazda Familia / 3 / Protege will be on a platform developed with the European division of Ford as the lead

...and as long as we're at it...

quote:
t is Mazda that did the I4 engine development for global use (2.0L and 2.3L...of which, the 2.3L is already in use in the Ford Ranger / Mazda B-2300 and Mazda 6)

It's amazing how some people like to take credit for everything. Ford of Europe being a fine example.

The Focus/Mazda 3 platform was - and is - a joint effort. Mazda and Ford people got together and determined a number of hardpoints each wanted incorporated into the platform for the Focus and Mazda 3. When it was determined that common items outweighed disparate ones, Mazda provided architectural guidelines and manufacturing protocol information to Ford's European branch (which is being headed up by the former head of Mazda R&D). Ford of Europe is the 'lead' division insofar as they did the initial layout drawing and built the first prototypes, but there's been plenty of Mazda input into the 'pan from the day pen was first put to vellum. Additionally, as pointed out elsewhere in the thread, Mazda and Ford each will have their own specific suspension and steering gear. Not even pick-up points will be common between the two.

Actual production start-up of the next-generation Focus and Mazda 3 will be very close to one and other. The Mazda 3 was previewed in mildly disguised form as the MX-Sportif at the Geneva Motor Show earlier this year and the new Focus will make its debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September. Production of both cars will start in the third quarter of the year, with deliveries in some markets beginning early in the last quarter.

Mazda's development of the new 2.0 and 2.3s Ford is using was limited primarily to block architecture and basic design of the crank. Ford designed their own cylinder heads for the versions they use as well as Pistons. they ended up using a variation of the Mazda crank and con rods, although they had intended to do their own at the start of the program.

You know, the only ones giving the appearance of being clueless around here seem to be a number of the Ford-haters thinking with their glands instead of their brains, mindlessly painting anything and everything with an idiotically broad brush.

I sure as Hell hope I never get that bitter and twisted about something as immaterial as a car company.

bwob

·
Registered
126 Posts
Reading Topic: Interesting info from Miata.net

LBJay, I've got to say the "haters" of ANY make really annoy me. Growing up, my dad was a big "Ford or DIE" kind of guy. He got into arguments with relatives and friends about cars. I learned quickly that any manufacturer has its ups and downs. We'd never have had anything but a Ford in our driveway.

I find the same thing in the computer world, with Mac Haters and Windows Haters, and a few who hate them both. Each platforms has plusses and minuses, and like a car, it depends what you want it for. You can't say "All ___ are bad because I had a ___ and it sucked."

Yet on every message board related to cars or computers that I've seen, there are those who feel they have to justify their own personal preference by insulting those who don't share it. Love Mazda? Great! But don't insult Honda owners just because they don't. Love Windows? Great! There's no reason to bash the Mac, especially if you're not an expert with one. Using one in school or messing with one for a few hours doesn't qualify you as an expert.

4 cyl. vs. 6 cyl., Auto vs. Manual, McDonalds vs. Burger King, Coke vs. Pepsi, some people just HAVE to argue about it. Lighten the **** up. We all have our reasons for the choices we make. Don't call me an idiot because they don't match yours.

BTW-Dad drives a Chevy right now. Why? Because his girlfriend doesn't like Ford. LOL!

Wow, that turned out to be quite a rant for a post that was going to just say "ITA" with whoever the original poster on miata.net is.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Reading Topic: Interesting info from Miata.net

no one is really hating on hondas... but i live in norcal, from my daily commute i'd say i see at least 10 civics and 5 accords for every mile... and my commute is about 25 miles door to door... i'm a previous honda owner and it took me a while to get over giving it up because i KNEW their reliabiliy and low maintenance... it's simply the truth that they're just common..

besides most younger people buy hondas because they're cheap to fix up and race it, thanks to fast and the furious making the rice rocket racing scene 10 times what it used to be. =D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts