Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Really? AT as a car source? 90+% of his articles are all about EV's, not real cars.
This line right here negates the whole article "The downside is that the motors are also pretty good at filtering out road forces from traveling back up from the front wheels to the steering wheel.". This is simply not true. The 5 cars with EPS that ive driven are a 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2017/18 6 the 18 being the turbo, an 18 3 loaner and mine. Of all of those cars, i can unequivocally say that article is trash. I can feel pebbles in my steering wheel, and 1/8" of an inch in movement, makes the car shift in that direction. Even the Cruze, as an entry level vehicle was fairly accurate and i didnt even know it was EPS.

Find an article by someone like Randy Probst and ill pay attention. Im not a "fan" of EPS, but i also dont find anything to complain about either.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Im not a "fan" of EPS, but i also dont find anything to complain about either.
This is coming from someone who had 2 Talons and worked on a shit ton more, where the PS pump was over top the alternator and when they start leaking, they would destroy the alt. So, this is a major improvement. Having a pump go out or fluid level get to the point where the steering suffers, this is another win.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Really? AT as a car source? 90+% of his articles are all about EV's, not real cars.
This line right here negates the whole article "The downside is that the motors are also pretty good at filtering out road forces from traveling back up from the front wheels to the steering wheel.". This is simply not true. The 5 cars with EPS that ive driven are a 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2017/18 6 the 18 being the turbo, an 18 3 loaner and mine. Of all of those cars, i can unequivocally say that article is trash. I can feel pebbles in my steering wheel, and 1/8" of an inch in movement, makes the car shift in that direction. Even the Cruze, as an entry level vehicle was fairly accurate and i didnt even know it was EPS.

Find an article by someone like Randy Probst and ill pay attention. Im not a "fan" of EPS, but i also dont find anything to complain about either.
I re-read the article; regardless of where it comes from, in my opinion, it has merit. I wouldn't say it is "feel" per se, that I object to. Rather, it is the distinct inability in the EPS system in my Mazda6 to be "nudged" to go straight at highway speeds. In my other cars, with HPS, and both of them have minimal on-centre freeplay... all you have to do is nudge them to -"re-direct", all you have to do is seemingly just take up the little or no freeplay in the direction you want, and they do that and re-direct. In my EPS which also has minimal on-centre freeplay, you take up that freeplay, but then you have to go that ever-so-small-amount more to urge it in that direction. At worst, you go ping-ponging from one side of the freeplay to the other, each time having to push over that "hump" in ea. direction. I exaggerate a bit, here. Now is this steering feel, I don't know... but it sure is not as intuitive and relaxing as my HPS systems. That's my fairly mild "beef" with EPS. And I KNOW there is nothing wrong, here, with my car. It is, by design, that way. Or better yet, because of the Design, it behaves this way.

BTW, I've never ever had a prb with HPS and I've been driving for 47 years.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
I still cant agree that EPS is causing a dead spot, since its only an appendage, not in the middle of the steering shaft, so something else is causing the numbness.

However, i just thought, do you have your LKA on? Ive had mine off since the day i got it. I wonder if that might cause a non-direct feel since its trying to maintain you in the lane. I mean, it doesnt intervene till you cross the line, but its ever vigilant.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I also don’t like the EPS on the 6 very well. It has a distinctly dead feel or at least spot, near center. Yet, it’s also far under-boosted at a near-stop or stop. Good HPS from several makers is distinctly better than this EPS, and neither can touch well-designed and well-executed manual steering.

Reactions: Cdn17Sport6MT

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@TalonTsi90 , my car is a stripped one, base trim '17 (GX in Canada; equiv to a Sport in the 'States); very few nannies hehe.

Really, my comment was not directed at on-centre vagueness (because my car is straight on the money, that way). Rather it is this "nudging" (inferiority, in my mind). Don't get me wrong, this is not a big matter, but I do notice it, and I'm probably more particular than I ought to be for my own good (well, particularly re steering and - totally unrelated, I know - re manual gearbox performance)... 🙂.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree that the article is off-base. Perhaps modern cars do have numb, lifeless steering, but that's not the fault of electric assist, per se. My RX-8 has electrically-assisted power steering, and it's extremely responsive and supplies all the feedback I could ever want. I've never heard anyone criticize the 8's steering, so I think this proves that Mazda knows how to design great steering regardless of what kind of motor is assisting the driver.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Whats the ratio? My 3 has 16.9:1 which was one consideration in getting it as my Talon had the same and its considered to be the "sportiest ratio".

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Way back when I had a Mercury Mystique V6 (hand me down); it had 14.5:1 . That, combined with not too long a WB, meant a pretty quick steering car... HPS, rack and Pinion.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Whats the ratio? My 3 has 16.9:1 which was one consideration in getting it as my Talon had the same and its considered to be the "sportiest ratio".
Car & Driver reports the RX-8's steering ratio to be 16.4:1. I've not really thought about that detail before, but I have appreciated how good the steering feels.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steering gear ratio is typically correlated to wheelbase of the vehicle. More wheelbase? U need a "taller" steering gear ratio (numerically lower) for the same steering "quickness".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts