Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about purchasing an intercooler spray kit and am not sure if CO2 or a nitrous system would be best. I know there are a bunch of scary smart people on this forum (meant in a good way :D ) so I'm hoping to get more info to help the decision.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am thinking about purchasing an intercooler spray kit and am not sure if CO2 or a nitrous system would be best. I know there are a bunch of scary smart people on this forum (meant in a good way :D ) so I'm hoping to get more info to help the decision.
[/b]
the thing about these systems is that they work off the cooling effect of gass decompressing. So you would see about the same effect without almost any gass (no noticable difference). CO2 is cheaper to fill; go with CO2.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Buy the cheaper kit. You can fill either bottle with either gas. Check the link in my sig for installation instructions for the MS6. It's on page three.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Sweet systems.

I just had a thought. Since the pedal sends an electronic signal to the CPU, would it be possible to take an output from the CPU (as long as there is one) and wire it to the on/off switch for the sprayer. Send a 1 when the gas is floored, and send a 0 otherwise. You'd probably need some serious re-engineering, but wouldn't this work well in theory?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Sweet systems.

I just had a thought. Since the pedal sends an electronic signal to the CPU, would it be possible to take an output from the CPU (as long as there is one) and wire it to the on/off switch for the sprayer. Send a 1 when the gas is floored, and send a 0 otherwise. You'd probably need some serious re-engineering, but wouldn't this work well in theory?
[/b]

YOu don't want to spray CO2 or nitrous while at WOT. Getting unmetered nitrous sucked into the motor would be very dangerous, and sucking in C02 would displace O2 and you'd make less power.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YOu don't want to spray CO2 or nitrous while at WOT. Getting unmetered nitrous sucked into the motor would be very dangerous, and sucking in C02 would displace O2 and you'd make less power.
[/b]
So you are saying that if you set up a system to spray the intercooler at WOT it would get sucked into the engine?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I do it quite often (durring the summer at least), and I haven't had any problems. It's really just to elliminate any possible heat-soak.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have the full Subaru STI setup sitting at home for my car. It allows you to push a button and spray the intercooler....with water.

The StreetUnit comes with a 'full wide open switch'. Not sure I'm fond of having to be at full throttle to get it to work....

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do it quite often (durring the summer at least), and I haven't had any problems. It's really just to elliminate any possible heat-soak.
[/b]
That's precisely the way I would want to use it...just to alleviate heatsoak. What size your tank and how long does it usually last?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I have a 10 lb bottle which lasts a while if used conservatively. The NX system I chose includes an arming switch (to turn it on), a push-button "purge" switch (which "purges" through the spray-bar), and a throttle switch (which has to be mounted under the gas pedal due to fly-by-wire). Both the throttle switch and the push-button switch activates the same silenoid, so you can "prep" the ic by pushing the button and have it spray at WOT via throttle switch. Works charms.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
This may sound really stupid... but from what i've seen (Evo's basically) that come with the spray... its like... water isn't it? And honestly I can't see it really being THAT useful to help cool thing thing unless you are spraying for extended periods of time...

So to my point... I thought those things were used to wash MUD and dirt off the IC to help with flow and cooling during rally events... which take place in dirty.. dusty roads... so yeah...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This may sound really stupid... but from what i've seen (Evo's basically) that come with the spray... its like... water isn't it? And honestly I can't see it really being THAT useful to help cool thing thing unless you are spraying for extended periods of time...

So to my point... I thought those things were used to wash MUD and dirt off the IC to help with flow and cooling during rally events... which take place in dirty.. dusty roads... so yeah...
[/b]
Its not a water spray kit that I am talking about - just trying to make the tmic more efficient....here a link that shows over 60whp increase...
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech/05..._spraying_test/

I'm not as concerned about the gains as I am about keeping the tmic from heatsoaking.

I think we are talking about two different concepts - oh, and the (water) intercooler spray kit that came OE on my old STI definately helped, but again that was another tmic as opposed to the fmic on the evo....

·
Registered
856 Posts
So you are saying that if you set up a system to spray the intercooler at WOT it would get sucked into the engine?
[/b]
It is possible, the gasses have to go somewhere after they go through the intercooler. I'm sure some of it makes its way towards the air filter and into the motor. Especially with all the suction at the filter during WOT.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a 10 lb bottle which lasts a while if used conservatively. The NX system I chose includes an arming switch (to turn it on), a push-button "purge" switch (which "purges" through the spray-bar), and a throttle switch (which has to be mounted under the gas pedal due to fly-by-wire). Both the throttle switch and the push-button switch activates the same silenoid, so you can "prep" the ic by pushing the button and have it spray at WOT via throttle switch. Works charms.
[/b]
How much does the bottle weigh and how long between refills. I know you said a while, but I guess I'm looking for a more specific time frame :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would consider one, but I don't think the kit would make too many gains with a FMIC, which I plan to buy soon, if ATP's klit allows for a cai.

·
Registered
210 Posts
[/b]
Not sure how this would happen. It is sprayed onto the outside of the intercooler, so it would not get into the engine. As for the gas having to go somewhere, down and out would be my guess. At speed, the air in the engine compartment would be traveling towards the back, and the airbox, and CAI bring air from in front of the car.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Regular nitrous injection systems have yet to be found... that's what I'll hold out for.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
How much does the bottle weigh and how long between refills. I know you said a while, but I guess I'm looking for a more specific time frame :)
[/b]

I have a 10lb bottle, and it lasts as long as you let it. My first 10lbs only lasted 6 hours because I just loved pulling up next to camaros, mustangs, whatever, and hitting the button. When you're sitting still, and you activate it, it shoots out the front of the air-duct. It looks really cool. However, once I got that out of my system, I can make a bottle last me over a week.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts