Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought about this the other day and wanted to get others opinions before I attempt it. Would mounting a 1000CFM electric fan above the TMIC (blowing down) help in better cooling the air charge while also providing consistent air flow to help battle heat soak?

It seems if I remove the bellows and IC shroud (leaving the hood ducting in place), I should have about two inches between the hood and the intercooler. (Maybe?) I've found and 12 volt 8 inch x 2 inch high fan the puts out 1000 CFM.

I haven't measured the distance between the hood and IC to get an exact measurement yet as it is just a thought at this point.

If it will fit, is it a viable option? The idea is if electric fans work to keep our radiators cooler when air isn't flowing through them, then they should also work for the intercooler as well.

What I don't know is, How much air flows through the intercooler at highway speeds utilizing the current ducting/routing scenario? 1000 CFM is quite a bit of air, but is it enough to keep the IC cooler or as cool as the current "ram air" setup? Will it fit?

I'd like to hear thoughts on this.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I do not think that it is a viable option. Plus, a fan of that size will draw A LOT of current
[/b]
Nah, probably not that much (~10 amps), depending on the fan model. On my 4x4, I have a 4600CFM fan that draws 28 amps.

Here are some examples.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Makes sense to work, which yes, it should essentially work and help. Better cooling-better peformance and less work on teh motor.

Or..
Wait, my guess, not even 2 months, and CP-E will have their FMIC setup kit available.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not think that it is a viable option. Plus, a fan of that size will draw A LOT of current
[/b]

The particular fan I am looking at draws between 8-10 amps, which shouldn't put too much of a strain on the 110 amp/hr alternator.

Aside from the current draw, any specifics on why you don't think it's a viable option? Input is appreciated.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i think it might just recirculate the hot air and perpetuate the heat soak. unless you can get it to draw fresh air. is that what you had in mind?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think it might just recirculate the hot air and perpetuate the heat soak. unless you can get it to draw fresh air. is that what you had in mind?
[/b]
Yeah. The idea is to suck air in through the hood ducting and force in down onto the intercooler. Due to the height of the fan (if it will even fit) the top of it, would sit it inside the bulge of the hood. The air it would draw would come in from the vents in the front of the bumper and be routed through the ducting. The initial thought was to remove the rubber bellows that mates the ducting to the top of the intercooler shroud. However at 8 inches diameter, the fan could actually fit inside the bellows. Allowing it to only draw in outside air. This is of course theoretical, the big issue is going to be whether or not there is 2 inches of height there to work with. I have to go home and find some way measure the height between the intercooler and the hood with the hood closed. LOL. Not sure how that's going to work.

Or..

Like PR said, I can just wait for the FMIC.

I was just wondering if anyone had thought, tried or seen this done on a TMIC. I've seen it done on 2nd gen MR2's back when I was with IMOC. It seemed to help with them, but those were side mounts and there was a lot more room to play with.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it would be too tight for a fan, but you probaby could rig a water sprayer to cool the intercooler.
[/b]

Yeah, probably right. Water sprayer is a little messy for my taste. I should probably just wait for the FMIC or whatever 4DRHTRD is cooking up.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I wouldn't bother. Plus the added weight would'nt exactly help either.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I wouldn't discard the idea without real world figures.

Extra weight? 2-3 lbs for the fan? Neglible.

Flow through the IC fins would be improved especialy at lower speeds where the air isn't "pushed" through the ducting. Remember that (rule of thumb) for each 10°F colder intake you get 1% power gain.

I think it would be worth to try and measure the IC out temps before and after.

·
Registered
382 Posts
haha dooo it! at least try! think also about the water spray, you can prolly pull one straight off an STI, or if you wanna go EXTREME... put a nawz intercooler sprayer on the intercooler, or wait for FMIC... those be your choices lad!

·
Registered
40 Posts
The only problem you may have is that at highway speed, heck even moderate speeds, the intake air is going at a good clip and the reduced back pressure on the fan would cause it to spin at a much greater speed than normal which could burn out the bearings on that fan. If you had a constant speed fan, it would draw less power the faster you go though i would think.

I think that the only benefit you would get would be at slow speeds, once you get up over 30 or so, the fan would probably just get in the way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also own a Celica alltrac (GT-4) with the ever wonderful top mount and there are lots of people that use a top mount fan with that. No problems at high speed with fan berrings and such. A great help in stop and go. But like Baggio said their might not be enough room with all the ducting... I guess it's time to get out the ruler.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Newb here. My first post!

I messed with this a bit. I had a really hard time finding a fan that would generate enough airflow and actually fit between the hood and the IC. (The clearance is very tight.) I was also concerned that a fan would actually impede airflow at highway speeds. After spending sometime messing with it, I decided to gather some data without a fan to help me conclude if it was worth the effort. I got a remote thermometer and placed it on top of the IC and pulled the following results:

Ambient Air Temperature: 82F
IC temperature with hot car stopped (not running) for 15 minutes: 128F (My starting temperature)
IC temperature with car running at 25MPH for 5 minutes: 89F
IC temperature with car running at 55MPH for 5 minutes: 83F

The conclusion I draw is that the only time this is going to be significantly helpful is in heavy stop-and-go traffic. It seems the Engineers did a decent job of designing the snorkels and they actually pull in a fair amount of air. Feel free to disagree--I'd still feel more comforatble with a front IC or mild hood scoop. If anyone finds a fan that does a good job or a better IC, I'm still interested!!

I guess it's not really the temperature around the intercooler that's important. It's the temperature drop the air going through the intercooler experiences. I'd love to get some data on that!

On a related note, has anyone noticed that the built in AMB air gauge is VERY slow to react? I'll pull out of my garage (70F) and into the heat (90F) and it takes 20 minutes to equalize. (It's on my list of things for the dealer to look at tomorrow....)

·
Registered
721 Posts
I had already assumed that stop and go was the reason you wanted this fan. From first hand experience, highway acceleration is superb, it's the heatsoak from a stop light drag that f's up your launch.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Combating heat soak was the primary concern. But I was also looking for an easy way to force a higher amount of air directly through the IC at ALL times. Was planning on using an anemometer to measure stock airflow over the IC at highway speeds to determine a starting point for fan. Then search for a low profile fan that could push more air than what the anemometer read through the IC.

All that said. It's a moot point. After some crude measuring techniques (don't ask). :wacko: There is no way, as many have said, that a 2 inch high fan will fit unless I cut a hole in my hood. Which, I am not willing to do. :nono: The only fans capable of pushing enough air to do any good are at least two inches thick. So, I will now wait impatiently for an FMIC. :drool:

I still may mount an anemometer on there just to see what the CFM is flowing across the IC at highway speeds. I'm curious to see how efficient that hood ducting is.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I also own a Celica alltrac (GT-4) with the ever wonderful top mount and there are lots of people that use a top mount fan with that. No problems at high speed with fan berrings and such. A great help in stop and go. But like Baggio said their might not be enough room with all the ducting... I guess it's time to get out the ruler.
[/b]
I recall some alltrac's had an A/L intercooler, which would elimiate most of traffic heat soak. If Mike's idea is to use stock core for a/l top mount IC, he should do pressure drop checks to make sure it's not a choker .... not good with smallish turbo.

Another loose though was to reverse the fans in traffic. Would tend to pull down cool air across IC, and a truly minor mod.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
15 Participants
KevinK2
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing