Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, looking to gather some data from intercoolers. Specifically: AMB temps, IAT, and BAT w/ type of intercooler setup (stock, mod stock, L2A, front mount etc and if custom pipe diameter) with driving conditions (normal highway, normal in-town, flat-out WOT, stop-light drags etc).
I'm seeing some pretty crap numbers for myself, usually about IAT=AMB+10 to 15 degress, and BAT=AMB+30 to 40 degress, with a huge hit if I'm semi stop-n-go traffice. Then my BAT is somewhere around IAT+60 degrees. (highest I've seen is BAT=180, IAT=110, AMB in the 90s)
Running the Turbine tech L2A w/ a 70/30mix of water to coolant and a couple ounzes of royal purple water wetter. I have checked to ensure the pump is actually doing it's job, so I dont think that is the problem.
Some other weird things I have noticed is this. Lets say that you are cruising at 60ish, IAT=90 BAT=110 and you start to go up a hill. No extra gas (but whatever is required to maintain 60 mph...so actually a little extra go peddle) I will see BAT's decrease a few degrees (3-5 ish). Top the hill and going down it now, and definetely no extra gas this time, less load on engine, basically everything less. Yet, BAT will INCREASE by about 10 degrees. This is just not making much sense to me, or Im missing some concept. Thanks for the help and please discuss.

-Andy-

·
Registered
123 Posts
With stock IC I'm about the same, BAT=AMB+30-40 running, around +50 in stop and go. From what I've seen, I think the issue w/ the TTL2A is the mounting position for the L2A xchanger. It's still over the motor and soaks in low air flow conditions.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You still have the stock air ducting installed? I'm not familiar w/ the TT L2AIC install.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I don't think that the figures you posted are out of line.
I have an autoexe TMIC and when I'm sitting in traffic at AMB=90°F my BAT's go up to 180-185, my IAT goes even higher then yours, up to 135°F (I have the stock airbox). With the A/C off the ECT goes up to 218°F b/f the fans kick in (30%).

I've also seen a drop in BAT when you go into boost. I don't know if it's because of the BAT sensor is heat soaking due to the engine heat and low air flow at cruising conditions or the I/C being more efficient at higher pressure/flow conditions.

I think that the L/A I/C will heatsoak like a TMIC but BAT's will drop faster when moving again. It'll probably achieve lower BAT's when going WOT for an extended period as well.

If you want to eliminate heatsoak as much as possible you got to go FMIC I'm afraid.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Or possibly relocate the L2A...

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
when your going up a hill you have more load on the engine and hence more flow through the IC core and its doing its job, when your coating down the hill the flow through the IC is not as much and hence u will see BAT's go up. this is perfectly normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts