Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmm I was just thinking...would it work to hook up an intercooler kit with CAI? Or would it just be a waste of money? I can think in theory it would work since you would be cooling the air and all....

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
waste, because the increase of air restriction would negate any advantage of cooler air.

·
Registered
206 Posts
i don't think it'll give you power. because the air coming into the intake would have to travel a much farther distance and travel through a limited space you'd pretty much be starving the engine of air, so you'd actually be losing power.maybe if you got a really huge intercooler with like 8 inch piping or something it could be worthwhile... :D

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
What about a small one like an OEM intercooler from a 180SX, thats less than half the size of a regular one....
[/b]
Still won't work, your not gonna flow enough air to make a diffrence, your better off trying diffrent methods to keep the air cool. search around the forum for it.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
An intercooler wouldn't work because it works differently than a CAI. This could work but you would have to fab it for the Mazda6. And I'm not sure if you would gain any power from it.

Front Mount Air Intake for a Honda Accord

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
SHouldnt make much difference. The intercoolers are to recool the air from a turbo, which gets hot in the turbo as far as I understand. So it would be a waste of money to try and cool already cool air.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
An intercooler wouldn't work because it works differently than a CAI. This could work but you would have to fab it for the Mazda6. And I'm not sure if you would gain any power from it.

Front Mount Air Intake for a Honda Accord

[/b]
If you buy that, please go kill yourself. We are trying to avoid being called ricers...

177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you buy that, please go kill yourself. We are trying to avoid being called ricers...
[/b]
You deserve a nice hard slap, what makes you almighty sayer of what is good looking and what isnt? I can respect opinions and such, but statements like that just make you look bad and make you sound like a damn kid. IMO I actully like the looks of that, and I am sure there are others also...so grow up some and keep dumb-ass comments like that to yourself :nono: I know you think your a hotshot and all...but your really not...sorry to break the news to you

·
Registered
793 Posts
i agree with dabears, i seen a honda at the track with one of those and in my opinion, it looks pretty ridiculous. I mean the concept and design is there but the aesthetics just dont fit. Maybe if it was made to fill in the open area a little better it would look that much better.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
You deserve a nice hard slap, what makes you almighty sayer of what is good looking and what isnt? I can respect opinions and such, but statements like that just make you look bad and make you sound like a damn kid. IMO I actully like the looks of that, and I am sure there are others also...so grow up some and keep dumb-ass comments like that to yourself :nono: I know you think your a hotshot and all...but your really not...sorry to break the news to you
[/b]
It makes me look like a kid, which is fine because I am a kid. I never used the words "It doesn't look good." It is completely rice thought. Rice = Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements. It is exactly that. A CAI that is designed to look like an intercooler to make other people think that your car is faster than it is; that my friend is the definition of rice. I guess the Tokyo pollution is clogging your brain.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
well, if it increases performance then it isn't rice. with that being said i dont' know if it increases performance, i have heard it increases performance on par with a standard cai. i agree it is more for looks, a "fooler cooler" as they are called.

i just posted it because there is no way an intercooler will work on a n/a engine, but if the guy was after the intercooler look then what he is after is not an intercooler, but a front mount intake.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
That FMIC intake is a waste. Other members have done something similiar; akin to removing the front air damn where the intake sits. Its a novel idea but opening the filter up the elements like that is plain stupid... would you want a rock flung from a truck hitting the filter possibly sucking up some very bad things then.....

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
well, if you look closely at the pic you will see it has a plastic shield in front of the filter. i agree it would be a waste ... but i feel that a SRI is a waste on this car and you still see members buying those.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
well, if you look closely at the pic you will see it has a plastic shield in front of the filter. i agree it would be a waste ... but i feel that a SRI is a waste on this car and you still see members buying those.
[/b]
That is because people are stupid. I think that most people should join the voluntary human extinction movement.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
there is no need for an intercooler if you dont have anything to cool. an IC is meant to bring down charge air temps to ambient, but without a turbo, the temp pre-throttle body is already close to ambient (w/ cai of course).

an IC is a crossflow heat exchanger. if the temp differences of the flows are high, such as the charge air temp being 150 degrees and the ambient being 70, then the heat transfer rate is the greatest. if there is hardly a difference, i.e. charge air at 75, ambient at 70, then the heat transfer rate is very small, and thus, very little cooling will be done if any.

adding an IC to a NA car will hurt performance by creating restriction and pressure drop as well as front end weight. it is worse than rice.

·
Registered
46 Posts
there is no need for an intercooler if you dont have anything to cool. an IC is meant to bring down charge air temps to ambient, but without a turbo, the temp pre-throttle body is already close to ambient (w/ cai of course).

an IC is a crossflow heat exchanger. if the temp differences of the flows are high, such as the charge air temp being 150 degrees and the ambient being 70, then the heat transfer rate is the greatest. if there is hardly a difference, i.e. charge air at 75, ambient at 70, then the heat transfer rate is very small, and thus, very little cooling will be done if any.

adding an IC to a NA car will hurt performance by creating restriction and pressure drop as well as front end weight. it is worse than rice.
[/b]
Ya you don't need it AT ALL unless it with a turbo. They're used with a turbo bc it gets very hot via the exhaust gases and in turn heats up the intake air. Since your intake air is not being heated by anything (for the most part) its not going to get any colder. I've seen people use dry ice packs infront of the intake to get the air colder but that was just for racing as it doesn't last very long.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
... or a supercharger.

To the poster of this thread, an intercooler will not benefit a N/A engine. If you are looking for gains, get a CAI.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
That "Front Mount Air Filter" could potential show large gains on a dynometer.... but isn't practical for the street as it has to be protected with a plastic filter which blocks the air flow...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't think an air/air intercooler than cool the air lower than ambient. so there's no point to intercooling your N/A intake charge.
a turbo charger heats the air to a higher temperature than ambient, so an air/air intercooler can then cool it back to or near to ambient.

edit: oops somebody already posted it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts