Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Rally Racer
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been wanting to add a DRL to my Mk1 series 1 wagon for some time but I don't care for the non-OEM "custon" look.

My 2004 S is equipped with bumper mounted fog lamps with the switch on the headlight stalk. The OEM headlamp assembly has a cover lens and mounting hardware inside but no lamp assemblies are present.

I found a 2004 s wagon with sport package in the salvage yard this week and managed to pull the internal fog light assemblies out of what was left of the OEM headlights.

I think I will try to combine the integrated fogs with a fog switch from a MPV and try to have the whole thing start when I energize the ignition and turn off with the auto headlamp shut-off relay switch.

Left and Right Integrated Fog Lamps.

Left Integrated Fog Lamp Installed (OEM)

Right Integrated Fog Lamp Installed (OEM)

We'll see if this comes together in the coming days. I have a bit of wiring to figure out. At the very least I am adding some photos of the assemblies.

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Did your headlamps already have the wiring to the integrated fog lights in them? I assumed all wagons had fogs, but I guess not. I know on the later model cars, they were pretty much pre-wired for the fogs, including the relays, all that was needed was the turn signal/light stalk to be swapped in, very easy to do. It doesn't require pulling the steering wheel or anything. How are your bumper mounted fogs turned on and off? Is there a wire that is tapped on the headlight plug?

·
Rally Racer
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did your headlamps already have the wiring to the integrated fog lights in them? ...
Good questions. the light assemblies do indeed have the wiring integrated (I have not tested for current yet but expect them to be live given the visual inspection)

Left (driver side LHD) Headlight Integrated Fog Non-Sport

_________

My fogs are factory installed bumper mounted (non-sport) and turn on with the switch on the headlight wand (pictured below). The OEM fuse box has the relay and fuse installed but there is a second relay and hot lead that have been added with inline wire taps (yes this is dealer prescribed).

I searched long for a car that did not have a sunroof and no ground effects. I don't fit cars that have sunroofs (too tall) and the side splitters make it look too heavy (plus I like the splash guard look), IMO.

·
Rally Racer
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: My wiring in my headlight assemblies does not receive power when I tun on the fog switch. I feel the fog relay activating and the lower bumper fog lights turn on but it is not energizing the integrated headlight fogs in the assembly. Some wiring is moved during the factory installation of the lower (bumper) fog lights and I feel the issue is there. Time to do some hunting.
I feel this thread may hold they key.
http://forum.mazda6club.com/electrical/142615-mazda-oem-lower-fog-lights-complete-walk-thru.html

·
Rally Racer
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the issue was with the factory install of the lower fog lamps.

This original installation document shows the change.

Changing the jumper position allows an auxilliary circuit near the front left corner to be energized and this is what the OEM kit utilizes.

My solution was to run an extra wire through the firewall and power it with a Mazda Protoge 5 switch to use as a DRL.

I also removed the cutoff to allow the 5000K LED to be easily visible in daytime.but thankfully due to the focus of the lens is not brighter than the headlights at night.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts