Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got an aem intake on a week ago, and my friend told me not to drive it when it's raining because water can get in through this thing i can't really explain it but i think it was called hydrolock or something? does anybody have this problem when driving in the rain, it's bad for the intake???

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
your fine as long as you don't submerge the filter in water. if any water from the road gets into the filter, by the time it gets to the throttle body (if it makes it that far) it will have evaporated. The only cases of hydrolocking I have seen since my first mazda6 back in '03 was from people who drove through more than 1 foot of water and the filter went under.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have the Mazdaspeed CAI equipped on my car and it sits in front of the driver's side wheel-well, and, of course, the splash shield is actually vented in that area (I guess Mazda wants their cars to be modified). I've had the car since June and the intake since September and nothing wrong has happened. There have been no CELs and I have not hydrolocked, especially in this wet autumn weather pattern in the Northeast. Just tonight, I drove through a considerably large puddle after some really heavy rain praying to not hydrolock and absolutely nothing happened. TCS helps, too, but, as for the intake, I believe it sits at least a foot or so off the ground and the filter has the added protection of the wheel well, which isn't too much, but every little bit helps. Plus, the Mazdaspeed intake is designed specifically for this car and I had it installed professionally at the dealership to avoid any warranty hassle or the dreaded ABS sensor problem or whatever it is.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I've had 36,000 miles with my MAFci kit and I have driven through torrential rain, snow, slush, nor'easters, tropical storms, etc. and still no hydrolock. Just be smart and don't cross standing water that's a foot deep.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts