Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my AEM CAI today on my '06 4cyl 6i, and I have the check engine light on. wtf? Im not stupid and I installed about 5 intakes already. Has anybody had this problem?

I think it might be the vacuum seleniod cause it is not hooked up to anything, and the plug is in...

Please help if anybody has ideas.

-Tom

·
Registered
532 Posts
Have you done everything else? Like disconnecting the battery so the MAF sensor "reboots". Have you started the engine serveral times?
My first time starting the engine gave me an engine light after some mods. But as the engine settles and the MAF sensor recalibrates, it the light went off. All else fails, try putting everything back and see if the light goes off. Good luck, I share in your frustration!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
It's because you have an AEM intake. You need a MAF customizer such as what come's with the CPE or the INJEN intake fix. Otherwise you will throw a CEL.

You'll be fine though, just reset it if you want.

Have you done everything else? Like disconnecting the battery so the MAF sensor "reboots". Have you started the engine serveral times?
My first time starting the engine gave me an engine light after some mods. But as the engine settles and the MAF sensor recalibrates, it the light went off. All else fails, try putting everything back and see if the light goes off. Good luck, I share in your frustration!
[/b]
a CEL will reset it's self eventually and shut off. NO matter what you do. If you do not have the CPE fix (so far they are the only ones that make one for the 6) you WILL get a CEL. as I stated above.

It may take 2 hours. or 2 years. it will happen.

·
Registered
947 Posts
It's because you have an AEM intake. You need a MAF customizer usch as what come's with the CPE or the INJEN intake fix. Otherwise you will throw a CEL.

You'll be fine though, just reset it if you want.
[/b]
x2

CPE is the only intake that will not give you a CEL...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
x2

CPE is the only intake that will not give you a CEL...
[/b]
I never disconnected the battery... oops. Can I just disconnect it now and it will reset?

I thought the CPE doesn't make a MAF customizer for the 4cyl 6i??? Thats why I got the cheaper AEM. I gonna kill the sob who told me that. I'll be nice and won't mention any names. Anyway I can get the MAF customizer by itself right? Is it easy to hook up?

Thanks guys for responding for fast I appreciate it greatly!!!

Killa
-Tom

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I never disconnected the battery... oops. Can I just disconnect it now and it will reset?

I thought the CPE doesn't make a MAF customizer for the 4cyl 6i??? Thats why I got the cheaper AEM. I gonna kill the sob who told me that. I'll be nice and won't mention any names. Anyway I can get the MAF customizer by itself right? Is it easy to hook up?

Thanks guys for responding for fast I appreciate it greatly!!!

Killa
-Tom
[/b]
They make it fro the 6i.

http://www.cp-e.com/2000.html

I have it on my 6i.

You can only get the MAF customizer with either the entire CPE kit. Or you can buy the MAF customizer for the INJEN intake fix.

and yes, You can just disconnect the battery to reset the CEL if you would like. Or you can take it to an Autozone and have them hook the CAN scanner to it for free. It'd be easier to just to the battery.

and yes, It is easy to hook up, 6 wires I beleived. Hooked in to the ECU under the dash. You'll get a nice headrush from being in a tight upside area though lol. but still. an easy install. easier then doing the actual intake install

If you do opt for spending the money. Just make sure you put the correct year of your vehicle. so they can provide the right instruction for the customizer.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I guess I have to get a new intake. What exactly does the MAF customizer do? and is it absolutely nesscessary? Would I be good with out it?

killa
-Tom

·
Registered
947 Posts
So I guess I have to get a new intake. What exactly does the MAF customizer do? and is it absolutely nesscessary? Would I be good with out it?

killa
-Tom
[/b]
:search:

There is tons of info about this...

·
Registered
412 Posts
You can only get the MAF customizer with either the entire CPE kit. Or you can buy the MAF customizer for the INJEN intake fix.
[/b]
AFAIK the injen fix is only available for the 6s. I believe the only option is to buy the whole kit for the 6i.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
You might want to check for loose hoses and wires first.... Plug all the vacuum hoses and make sure the electrical connections are still plugged into their sockets even if the solenoid is not being used. The 6i CAIs will throw a CEL, but usually not right away. (You could just have an air leak...) Hedsic has the MAFCi kit for the 6i which uses a different than part than the MAF Customizer they sell. The CEL will clear by itself after 5 drive cycles if the condition is fixed.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went to my mechanic today and he checked the comp for me. He said the comp was giving me a lean code. He said thats not to good, but cleared it, and told me to get back to him if it trips again. Should I still pursue the MAF customizer??

killa

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just called up AEM and they are gonna help me out with the intake problem. I talked to them about making a MAF customizer for their system, because of the other people having the same problem. If anybody has an AEM intake problem like mine step foward and hopefully we can get hooked up with some MAF customizers.

maybe we or the moderators can post this as a bulletin? The R and D guy wanted to gauge how many people are having this problem.

killa
-Tom

·
Registered
947 Posts
I just called up AEM and they are gonna help me out with the intake problem. I talked to them about making a MAF customizer for their system, because of the other people having the same problem. If anybody has an AEM intake problem like mine step foward and hopefully we can get hooked up with some MAF customizers.

maybe we or the moderators can post this as a bulletin? The R and D guy wanted to gauge how many people are having this problem.

killa
-Tom
[/b]
Well if they do it, you can tell them that I will be a new customer...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts