Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the summer of 2018 I took apart the intake of my 2014 6, 2.5L with ~90k miles to preemptively clean them of carbon. I bought a media blaster and a pack of walnut shell media from HF. The carbon build up wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting for a DI motor. Shown below are a couple before/after pictures.

Before:

View attachment 240086

After:

After the cleaning I can't say that I felt much difference in the drive ability, but I'm sure I've been getting slightly better MPGs.

It's been a while since I did the cleaning, but I can try answering any questions you may have.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I can't believe it has to take you two years since you joined to make your first, ever post! This is a useful post with pictures.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
In 2018 the forum was a PITA to post to, so I gave up.
I've read somewhere about it but I can't relate as I was using tapatalk. Then the update came and I couldn't use it. Right now, I don't know if they did an update such that tapatalk is not working again. Perhaps I should try to update tapatalk.

Going back, do you have a link for the cleaning blaster that you used?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've read somewhere about it but I can't relate as I was using tapatalk. Then the update came and I couldn't use it. Right now, I don't know if they did an update such that tapatalk is not working again. Perhaps I should try to update tapatalk.

Going back, do you have a link for the cleaning blaster that you used?

FYI this thing did not work well. If I remember properly we ended up removing the hose from the hopper and manually sweeping it over the top of the media material to suck it up. Otherwise it would clog up constantly.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

FYI this thing did not work well. If I remember properly we ended up removing the hose from the hopper and manually sweeping it over the top of the media material to suck it up. Otherwise it would clog up constantly.
That should be a good reference, thanks! If I may ask, were you able to get a video of your work? I mean, the whole process starting from removing the cover, etc.?

The before and after pictures are already helpful. It gives us, or at least me, the assurance that I won't have to worry about carbon deposits for a long time. I have the diesel variant, so I hope it will be the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That should be a good reference, thanks! If I may ask, were you able to get a video of your work? I mean, the whole process starting from removing the cover, etc.?

The before and after pictures are already helpful. It gives us, or at least me, the assurance that I won't have to worry about carbon deposits for a long time. I have the diesel variant, so I hope it will be the same.
I don't have a video, but it's pretty straight forward. It's just a matter of removing the intake up to the cylinder head. There's a few vacuum hoses and and wire connectors that you have to remove/disconnect along the way, but it's all apparent as you progress. Once you're there you just turn the motor over by the crank shaft till the port you want to clean is at TDC then tape over all the other ports while you clean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts