Mazda 6 Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've watched them make the pipes right in front of me. Now, something like the hose clamps or rubber grommets might come from China, but the pipes and filters are made here.
[/b]
I just saw the CPE thing, is so damn expensive. Does anyone have it installed & can you really tell the difference? Is there someone to find it cheaper besides CPE themselves?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just saw the CPE thing, is so damn expensive. Does anyone have it installed & can you really tell the difference? Is there someone to find it cheaper besides CPE themselves?
[/b]
If this were in the "Newbies" section I could forgive this... but seriously.... :search:

Short answer, a TON of people have it on their car, and yes, you notice a difference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If this were in the "Newbies" section I could forgive this... but seriously.... :search:

Short answer, a TON of people have it on their car, and yes, you notice a difference.
[/b]
Sorry I dont mean to be a pest. But I jsut figured its one of those cheap fake chips you buy on ebay for 20 dollars & its hooked up to the intake. Sorry, I won't post anymore. LOL

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sorry I dont mean to be a pest. But I jsut figured its one of those cheap fake chips you buy on ebay for 20 dollars & its hooked up to the intake. Sorry, I won't post anymore. LOL
[/b]
There are just as Many, if not more AEM's on 6 and 3's as CPE.. It is a matter of choice.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
pointless i'm sure, but i was there when they dyno'd my car a few years back when making the first intakes for us. i didn't see it happening, but at the building when they were doing it, and i drove home with a SRS, came back got a CAI then swapped it out one more time for a blue one....and i never had a CEL. it can happen to some people though, perhaps my car was at fault since it didn't happen on mine?

another note is who knows what the gains would be if AEM was running real gas? unless it says somewhere, there is no way they are running 93 as we can't get it anywhere. so it's watered down 91 or a mix of 100 octane which i don't see them doing.

on my 2.3 i have always prefered AEM to any other inake on the car, it's a nice balance of price vs power for me. i'd be confident that if someone raced the same car with the 2 intakes on it, it would come down to driver variance, not +2hp or -5tq somewhere.

if you like CP-E buy CP-E it's easy. if you like AEM, buy AEM....what's the arguing for. save the pissing match for a dyno day on the same dyno. wait, that doesn't help either cause every engine is a bit different. i dyno'd less on my car with headers than a car without...on the same dyno.

just support the MS6 aftermarket!

·
Registered
856 Posts
*the following is just a personal opinion!*

I think the AEM looks quite cheap, the CP-E seems to be of a much higher quality build. I think CP-E is where my money will go.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
*the following is just a personal opinion!*

I think the AEM looks quite cheap, the CP-E seems to be of a much higher quality build. I think CP-E is where my money will go.
[/b]
Which is why it's ~$100 cheaper then the CP-E unit. But like said before. It's a metal pipe, with a filter and a flange for the maf. There's not much difference.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Which is why it's ~$100 cheaper then the CP-E unit. But like said before. It's a metal pipe, with a filter and a flange for the maf. There's not much difference.
[/b]

I'm not trying to prolong the argument here, but the maf housing on the CPE intake is actually a machined piece the slightly reduces the diameter of the pipe before the maf and then tapers back out after the maf--It's not just a pipe with a flange.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I'm not trying to prolong the argument here, but the maf housing on the CPE intake is actually a machined piece the slightly reduces the diameter of the pipe before the maf and then tapers back out after the maf--It's not just a pipe with a flange.
[/b]
So it's a restricted pipe? Could someone provide some better photos of this piece? Something not 200x200px. And some photos of the shield which is discussed?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
If the air can't get into the intake fast enough at 5500 rpm, you'll have a drop off as the intake will be starved for air.(Stock intake) You can't compress something you don't have. If the piping is larger or just simply has no bottlenecks (aftermarket intake) and can supply that constant air needed, then it wouldn't fall (under the right circumstances). Just a thought.
[/b]
I suggest (crossbow) measuring the vacuum near the compressor inlet. I used a dwyer differential pressure gage to isolate the main restriction in my FD's intake. Gage was less than $60. I went from 1 psi drop to zip.

This is a good way to quantify any intake upgrade. The main restiction is likely the MAF sensor, so working at the 10:1 afr (CP-E) would be the best path to max hp.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
I'll see if its possible to get flow bench data from the cp-e intake.

I'd assume its similar to the Mazda 6 intake (actually worse stock because there isn't a flapper opening), which was 8 hg/inch of resistance (please forgive me as its been over three years and I can't quite remember what the hell the measurement was exactly of...so if you get upset, just call it kazzam juice), for the stock airbox, and about 0.3 Kazzam juice of resistance for the CP-E intake.

No I don't remember the CFM...I prototyped that thing in 2003. That was quite a long time ago...

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
[/b]
If you are looking at CP-E's site, there are three intakes for Mazdas. 2 MAFci for 6i and 6s. These two are more than a CAI therefore more expensive. The MAFci will send a signal so you will not get a CEL. Other CAIs (not all) have experienced a CEL on the 6's.

Now for our MS6 there is the CP-E Xcel CAI. This is a CAI just like AEM. Therfore not as expensive as the MAFci. I think MSRP for both are similiar. You will probably find AEM slightly less and discounted through auto suppliers. As Mr. Tea has said each engine has their own characteristics and probably you may or may not feel the difference. In either case if you want a CAI chose one and just do it.

I got my Xcel at an introductory price.

·
Registered
335 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
The company has many of them. The polished are in stock, I'll be buying mine this weekend.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts