Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is your insurance company required the installation of a GPS tracking system on your Mazdaspeed6 as a condition to be insured?

I am asking this question to canadians and particularly to montrealers.

Thank you.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Is your insurance company required the installation of a GPS tracking system on your Mazdaspeed6 as a condition to be insured?

I am asking this question to canadians and particularly to montrealers.

Thank you.
[/b]
Nope, and why do they need GPS on a vehicle? That's borderline invasion of privacy.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nope. I'm in Quebec too, insurance is dirt cheap on this car.
[/b]
I'm in Quebec, and my insurance required a GSP tracking device in order to insure me. I gotta say though it's very cheap... insurance is 700ish per year, GPS is 10 a month or so. It's cheaper than my 2002 WRX was.
Age 33, male, no children.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm in Quebec, and my insurance required a GSP tracking device in order to insure me. I gotta say though it's very cheap... insurance is 700ish per year, GPS is 10 a month or so. It's cheaper than my 2002 WRX was.
Age 33, male, no children.
[/b]
May I ask why your insurance would require a GPS tracking device on your vehicle? Is there any place where your insurance company does not want you to drive to with the vehicle? I've never heard of it before, not in Alberta at least.

·
Registered
297 Posts
May I ask why your insurance would require a GPS tracking device on your vehicle? Is there any place where your insurance company does not want you to drive to with the vehicle? I've never heard of it before, not in Alberta at least.
[/b]
This insurance company won't insure me without a GPS anti-theft device

I could go to another company and pay 1500$ per year, or stick with this one and pay 800 or so per year and pay 12$ per month for the GPS.

On my previous car, the insurance company required that I get markings on the main components. Theft-deterrent (anti-start) device was mandatory for my WRX.

They don't require a GPS device to track you, they require it in order to reduce the odds of the car getting stolen, and if stolen it raises the odds of finding it.
The Boomerang device is not used to track vehicles, it is used to retrieve stolen vehicles. For tracking purposes, there are systems better adapted and cheaper than the Boomerang

·
Registered
286 Posts
This insurance company won't insure me without a GPS anti-theft device

I could go to another company and pay 1500$ per year, or stick with this one and pay 800 or so per year and pay 12$ per month for the GPS.

On my previous car, the insurance company required that I get markings on the main components. Theft-deterrent (anti-start) device was mandatory for my WRX.

They don't require a GPS device to track you, they require it in order to reduce the odds of the car getting stolen, and if stolen it raises the odds of finding it.
The Boomerang device is not used to track vehicles, it is used to retrieve stolen vehicles. For tracking purposes, there are systems better adapted and cheaper than the Boomerang
[/b]
Hm I see. I wonder how hard it is to disable the GPS. I would guess that if they know enough to jack the speed6, they would disable the GPS as well. If they would go through all that stuff to steal a car, they would steal a Lexus, Bimmer or Mercedes.

800 per month is pretty cheap though, I pay a bit over a thousand for mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No Boomerang or other tracking device required for my Mazdaspeed6. It was required from the same insurance company on my previous 2004 WRX.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Wow insurance is cheap out East.. I pay abour $2300 / year and have 25% discount. Although in BC basic insurance is through the gov't. And that's not even for a speed6

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Out east, possibly, but not in Ontario. ON insurance rates is at par with BC rates.

·
Registered
297 Posts
No Boomerang or other tracking device required for my Mazdaspeed6. It was required from the same insurance company on my previous 2004 WRX.[/b]
I lived in BC for about a year. Back then I had a Civic Si. WHen I moved from MOntreal to BC, my insurance just about doubled in cost

But hey, BC has much lower income tax rates, so don't complain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts