Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Originally posted by mmarfan@Nov 26 2004, 11:52 PM
The improvement is very good. If you look at you car before the "fix" you will see glare. The best way to describe the glare is a ray that emits from it upward. These are before and after pics:

[snapback]328528[/snapback]​
cool.

have any before and after pics of the way it looks against a wall? thanks

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by ChicagoSix@Nov 26 2004, 08:18 PM
cool.

have any before and after pics of the way it looks against a wall? thanks
[snapback]328531[/snapback]​
Yes, but I do not have any good before. I did have a chance to see what the difference between the 2 were. This is what the light glare reduction was:

Without me marking it up:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Originally posted by mmarfan@Nov 27 2004, 12:59 AM
Yes, but I do not have any good before. I did have a chance to see what the difference between the 2 were. This is what the light glare reduction was:

Without me marking it up:

[snapback]328539[/snapback]​
Haha, now I know you live at 4286!!!

... but what street

Anyway, looks very good. Check out my pics of my recently completed HID install in the other thread.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by ChicagoSix@Nov 27 2004, 01:23 AM
Haha, now I know you live at 4286!!!

... but what street

Anyway, looks very good. Check out my pics of my recently completed HID install in the other thread.
[snapback]328577[/snapback]​
Todd Rd, Franklin Oh :D

I see the pics in the other thread; I can tell the difference for sure! Looks real good! You do have a little glare on the garage, so the "fix" wouldn't hurt. ;)

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Odonut123@Nov 27 2004, 01:52 PM
are you sure the before and after difference isn't just because the distance u are away from the car in each picture?
[snapback]328669[/snapback]​
No, the distance is within 4 to 5 feet. I have a before shot that is right at the same distance as the after pic you are seeing here, and on that one the glare is greater.

I really don't know why people are questioning me. The glare is there, especially on lower K kits. Remember these projectors are designed for Halogen bulbs!

This is an experiment I have done, just to show how much glare there is. When it's dark out, get some tape and something that won't let light pass through. (I chose a heavy glove) Tape that object on the upper half of the headlight. Make sure it isn't lowered past the cutoff beam. Stand back and see the difference.

I have a pic of this:

The glove is on the top half of the driver’s headlight. Remember to position the object as close to the cutoff beam as possible.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
good how to, but my concern is that what is the effect of light when you put stock bulbs back in if i ever want to .

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I wonder if removing them from the stock headlamps would improve performance. The light is forced too far down, so it does not project forward far enough and to the sides enough.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by leftyrev@Dec 27 2004, 09:35 AM
good how to, but my concern is that what is the effect of light when you put stock bulbs back in if i ever want to .
[snapback]339933[/snapback]​
I don't think it will be that noticeable. There is still an "up beam" pattern. The illumination on the road signs will be less, but it won't be illegal. Heck when you sell the car and take out the HIDs, who cares what the next owner has to deal with :D :laugh:
No but seriously, you should be fine.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by ZoomZoom Diva@Dec 27 2004, 10:12 AM
I wonder if removing them from the stock headlamps would improve performance.  The light is forced too far down, so it does not project forward far enough and to the sides enough.
[snapback]339943[/snapback]​
I don't think it will help, because this piece only has an effect on the illumination of the road signs (and glare). The halogen projectors are designed to project more light infront of the vehicle. The HID projectors are for the more wide spectrum infront of the vehicle.
So if you want better light, to do it right, a complete retrofit... Or you can just re-adjust your headlights to suit your needs... but remember the other drivers! :drive:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just recently did this and it was too hard with a coat hanger so what I did was use a really long flathead screwdriver to pop it out. BE CAREFUL with this though because you dont want to send it through the headlight. CAREFUL PLEASE.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
If you do use a coat hanger, cover the end in electric tape, then cut a notch in the tape for the curve of the hanger.

This way, if you slip, its the padded end of the hanger hitting the front of the headlight, not the metal bits.

I got both of them off now. Just twist all the way in one direction (till the hanger starts twisting on its own), then twist all the way in the other direct. Repeat, it'll pop right off without pulling.

Getting it out is the trick though. The first one fell right out, the second one is playing find the ninja.

Btw mmarfan, thanks for coming up with this. Fugi and I will have comparison photos sometime early this week.

I can't take any photos now, cause I'm still waiting for my radiator to arrive.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
well now that theres more people doing this , what do you guys think ?did it make any changes? did it help the pattern or brightness of the HID ?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I aimed my headlights higher because I like the way my HIDs light up the roadsigns on the side of the road. They reflect with an awesome light blue.

Before the glare removal mod I did have a couple people highbeam me. I wanted to see how annoying it was for myself so I had my brother drive my car down the block and drive back and sure enough the glare was significant so I aimed them back down.

After I did the glare removal mod I aimed my headlights higher again. I had my brother drive my car again and noticed a huge difference. I have had no problems whatsoever now.

So DOOOO the mod!!!!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
If anyone is painting their bezels or installing angel eyes, it's very easy to pop these out using needle-nose pliers after opening up the housings. :)

1 - 20 of 109 Posts