Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been a while since I wrote this post, if anyone interested to see my other DIYs, please follow my YouTube channel:
Roman Does

Enjoy the read!
------------------------------------------------------------

HI THERE GUYS,

HERE IS MY "HOW TO" INSTRUCTION ON INSTALLING RX8 SEATS INTO YOUR MAZDA 6

HERE IS FIRST PART, YOU NEED TO PREPARE:

• FEW METERS OF WIRES (DIFFERENT COLOR IS BETTER)
  • ADDITIONAL WIRE SOCKET
  • AND FEW TOOLS (SUCH AS SCREW DRIVER AND FEW KEYS)
IN THIS PART I'M GONNA TALK ABOUT ELECTRONICS AS YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE THAT EVERYTHING IS FUNCTIONAL AS THERE NO POINT OF INSTALLING IT AND DON'T USE THE FUNCTIONS OF SEAT.

SO, THERE ARE FEW WAYS TO CONNECT YOUR SEAT

1. IS TO ACTUALLY TRY TO CONNECT ALL WIRES FROM SEAT'S SOCKET INTO YOUR SYSTEM
THE MAIN DISADVANTAGE OF IT IS THAT OUR SYSTEM IS NOT MADE FOR THAT AND YOU MIGHT GET FAULTS.

2. IS TO PUT SOME PARTS FROM YOUR ORIGINAL SEAT.
ADVANTAGE OF THIS METHOD IS THAT ACTUALLY YOU DON'T NEED TO SEARCH FOR SOCKET THAT FITS YOUR SEAT, AND ALL THE ELECTRONICS GONNA WORK AS THEY SHOULD. ALL YOU NEED IS JUST BRING SOME POWER FOR ENGINES INSIDE THE SEAT.

IF YOU PREFER TO USE FIRST METHOD, ITS TOTALLY UP TO YOU, BUT IM GONNA GO WITH SECOND.

YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU KNOW ACTUAL USE OF EVERY WIRE THAT COMES OUT OF SEAT.

BEFORE YOU START UNPLUGGING EVERYTHING, MAKE SURE THAT YOU SHUT DOWN POWER FROM VEHICLE BY SIMPLY DISCONNECTING BATTERY :nono: .
AFTER DISCONNECTING, LEAVE CAR FOR ABOUT 10 MINS, DON'T TOUCH PLUGS YET AS AIRBAG CONTROLLING MODULE IS PROGRAMMED TO HOLD ENOUGH POWER IN IT TO ACTIVATE ALL AIRBUS (IN CASE OF EMERGENCY)

IT IS SIMPLE, THE FIRST (YELLOW) PLUG WITH 2 WIRES - RED AND BLACK ARE GOING TO THE AIRBAG, THESE ARE ACTIVATORS, DO NOT PUT ANY POWER INTO THEM AS IT GONNA BREAK YOUR NECK!!!!
:nono: MY YELLOW PLUGS ARE THE SAME, SO I JUST CONNECTED THEM AND SYSTEM FOUND AIRBAG WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM.

ANOTHER PLUG HOLDS 6 WIRES(PASSENGER SEAT) AND 7 WIRES(DRIVER SIDE)
4 WIRES OUT OF BOTH ARE GOING ON SEAT-BELT LOCK, HOWEVER OUR LOCK HAS ONLY 3 WIRES ( WHICH IS WEIRD TO ME BEING HONEST)
SO WHAT IM GONNA DO HER, INSTEAD OF SEARCHING FOR PURPOSE OF THOSE WIRES, I M GONNA PUT MY ORIGINAL LOCKS AS IT GONNA SAVE TIME AND SYSTEM GOING TO IDENTIFY IT. IT TAKES ONLY FEW MINUTES TO TAKE OUT BOLTS AND SWAP THEM. AND AFTER JUST PUT WIRES IN PLACE AS IT WAS AND SECURE IT THERE BY TAPE OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT

WHEN YOU CONNECT THEM, SYSTEM GONNA WORK AS WITH ORIGINAL SEATS.

HOWEVER, THERE ARE STILL 2 EXTRA WIRES ARE LEFT. JUST LEAVE THEM AS THEY ARE, BECAUSE OUR SYSTEM DOESN'T SUPPORT IT.

POWERING DRIVER'S SEAT

IN THE PLUG, YOU CAN FIND 2 FAT WIRES NEXT TO EACH OTHER. YOU NEED TO TAKE THEM OUT OF SOCKET AND CONNECT TO THE POWER SOURCE YOU BROUGHT THERE BEFORE. (IF YOU ARE TAKING POWER FOR SEATS STRAIGHT FROM BATTERY YOU BETTER MAKE A FUSE BOX - NEVER KNOW WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN)

AND THAT'S IT, AFTER ALL THOSE EASY THINGS ARE COMPLETED, IT SHOULD FUNCTION PROPERLY. :drive:

GONNA POST THE WHOLE SIT INSTALLATION IN FEW DAYS, AND PICTURES OF SOLUTION I MADE FOR BRACKETS AND RAILS.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
i will be watching this closely as i have the seats and am waiting to install and have heard of problems with airbag lights. i think there is a sensor in the passenger seat for child seats (disable airbags ) which i think is the extra wires.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (devil666 @ Sep 7 2008, 08:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1429418
i will be watching this closely as i have the seats and am waiting to install and have heard of problems with airbag lights. i think there is a sensor in the passenger seat for child seats (disable airbags ) which i think is the extra wires.[/b]

the light didnt appear with my way for some reason, im not really sure why it appears on others. i tried electronics with mine and its working.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
QUOTE (xtmesisx @ Sep 7 2008, 08:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1429573
i'm assuming that this is a great write up; i didn't read the whole thing. which bring me to my next point. i can has no caps plz?

thx.[/b]

Agreed, the whole thing being in caps makes my eyes hurt. Maybe if you type it up like a normal person Ill take the time to actually read it.

·
Registered
956 Posts
lol CAPS drive people crazy.. :eek:fftopic: But can you tell me about the blue light going across the bottom of your headlights is that like an audi r8 thing PM me

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (mariusvt @ Sep 8 2008, 01:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1429858
Agreed, the whole thing being in caps makes my eyes hurt. Maybe if you type it up like a normal person Ill take the time to actually read it.[/b]

well, if you guys really need that info you can read it in what ever way it is :irate: . though sorry for CAPS

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
QUOTE (roman-oxford @ Sep 8 2008, 02:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1430137
well, if you guys really need that info you can read it in what ever way it is :irate: . though sorry for CAPS[/b]
IT'S OKAY MAN, IT JUST SEEMS LIKE YOU'RE SCREAMING AT US. PLUS WITH ALL THE CHARACTERS HAVING A RELATIVELY SIMILAR SIZE, IT'S DIFFICULT FOR THE EYE TO DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN WORDS. GOD KNOWS I HATE USING MY BRAIN.

ANYHOW, HAVE A NICE DAY. THANKS FOR THE WRITE UP, I'M SURE IT'S GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!1!!!!!1won

;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ppl! i installed my seats today!!! gonna write how to blog in here tomorrow, gonna post pictures as well, so if you have something in particular u wanna see tell now, im gonna take it for u

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, lets go to installation part.
before anyone starts doing it, make careful plan of things you will need and learn about electronics u have on seat and on the car, u might need extra.

Also i recommend to start from passenger side ( just in case u forgot something - so u still can drive)

so, PASSENGER SIDE

this is easy and anyone can do it at home( as i did), all u need to do is to take off rails from old seat and put on rx8 one. it all gonna fit perfect.
however, adter that installation, u might find that red airbag light stays on, there is nothing u can do, even if you connect it to system, it still gonna stay there because rx8 has different sensor system built in.
you will need to change it. it is kinda simple and quick, but difficult to manage especially at the end.
what i recommend to do is to swap insides. thats how it looks like on picture
those yellow parts (no idea what they called in english ) are 99% identical, the only difference is that original mazda 6 one is higher ( which is actually advantage for passenger, he gonna feel same hight as on old seat)
I asume u all know how to take off cloth from both pads and put it back after swap ( if not write to me a line)
the most difficult is to put cloth back on as it should be cause its made for smaller base, but when u do it, it all looks just perfect.
so bqsically thats it, at the end of that u gonna have original fully functional seat as it was factory installed even no need to change sockets.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
driver's side.

it is much simplier with electronics here.
you will need to find all wires to power ur seat's electronic devices, and just swap the belt lock on the old one, so it gonna be identified by system too.
there no sensors inside the seat like on passenger's one.

the most difficult part is that the seat is originally lower.
what i did here was:
1 - i cut off the hooks from 6's seat
2- cut off hooks from rx8's seat and dispose them as no longer need them
3- got a square metal block ( can get in any household shop) i went for really massive one, almost as same as width of rail.
4- cut the block into 4 same bits and welded them on each end of rail like on picture
5- measured hooks' places and welded them on the blocks.
6- painted into black ( after looks as it was like that)
7- made different socket for electronics and powered them as described before.

all is working as it was made for it and no airbag problems was identified by system, in other words all works as it was made for it.

if you got more questions, just let me know.

please post ur opinion about my seats.

regards

Attachments

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Thanks for the write up, but please proof read your posts before you submit them.... ("u" does not equal "you" - it makes the post seem like it was written by a 12 year old.)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ps my fingers and hands were f*cked up after all of it, cut every finger and it hurts even to touch ma willy.
so use some protecting wear for hands especially when dealing with rails.

QUOTE (explorecaves @ Sep 11 2008, 09:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1433127
Thanks for the write up, but please proof read your posts before you submit them.... ("u" does not equal "you" - it makes the post seem like it was written by a 12 year old.)[/b]

sorry brof, im not native english speaker, sometime its just simplier for me like that and everyone still can get me :)

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Quit being such a bunch of ass-holes guys. If we had a dime for every post that needed a little proof-reading we'd be able to buy the whole club t-shirts. Remember, this is an international community.

OP; Nice write up. This is an interesting mod, and if I found a pair of rx-8 seats at a really great price I'd install them.

Thanks for the good work!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
QUOTE (Sacramento6 @ Sep 13 2008, 02:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1434647
Quit being such a bunch of ass-holes guys. If we had a dime for every post that needed a little proof-reading we'd be able to buy the whole club t-shirts. Remember, this is an international community.

OP; Nice write up. This is an interesting mod, and if I found a pair of rx-8 seats at a really great price I'd install them.

Thanks for the good work![/b]

thanks buddy, at least someone has said something positive about it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
how do the rails come off the original seat? i am trying to use the stock brackets for another pair of seats i just cant get the back of the seat off the frame.

·
Registered
44 Posts
roman-oxford, great write up.

I have been waiting so long to see this done. I would love to do the project myself. I do not have side airbags on my 6s and hopefully I can find a set of RX-8 seats without one as well.

The only question I have for you is how much lower (aproximately) would be the the RX-8 seat in the 6? I am 6'6", so in my case, I would be welcoming a lower seat. Perhaps, I could finally be able to auto-cross without having the helmet pressed into the roof.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts