Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i remember correctly, years ago i installed rotors, i used brake cleaner to clean each rotor prior to install. Is that still neccessary?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Were they brand new(from the box)? If so, they will have a coating of special oil to help them not get surface rust before a persom buys them. If the rotors were just turned, then you don't have to worry about it. In my case, i would have cleaned them with brake cleaner no matter what.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Huh. Well, I followed the instructions that came with the rotors, and it didn't speak of that anywhere, so I didn't do it. The car stops like crazy now...?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Just clean them. A can of cleaner costs $5 and it would probably take you less than 10 minutes to clean all 4 rotors.

daztd is correct about oil being present on the rotor surface. Although I was told by 2 manufacturers that its mostly machine oil from the production process. They didn't mention anything about a rust-proof coating.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Huh. Well, I followed the instructions that came with the rotors, and it didn't speak of that anywhere, so I didn't do it. The car stops like crazy now...? [/b]
well if you didn't do it before putting the calipers and pads back on its too late now. New rotors come with an oil-based coating on them to prevent rusting in shipment and storage. usually there is some sort of instruction sheet enclosed in the box telling you to clean them off. you managed to do the same thing with your new pads. will it do any damage in the long run? probably not, but you must have had some nasty smelling brakes and smoke for the first few stops.
note to take for next time you do brakes :laugh:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
First couple of stops did produce some smell, but no smoke. I did the bedding procedure per the Hawk instructions, which required several hard stops, and that made for some smells. I'm sure the coating is long gone by now though :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
No real need for cleaner unless you have had to bleed your brakes and have fuild on them, or grease on them. The cleaner is used for that. Otherwise just break them as normal. Some smells are expected esp on brakes that require a break in, it is just the coating on them. All will be fine after a few days. Just make sure you are getting the lift off from the rotor like you should and you will be gtg.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Hey the way I see it, apply lubricant to MOST parts before the install....or at least if not the part, anti-seize to bolts/loctite when necessary.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called Carbotech, they said clean the rotors first because as others have mentioned to remove the film of oil

1 - 13 of 13 Posts