Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*edit ok, so by popular demand, the write up now includes pictures. Pictures were taken after the install, so no pictures of under the sills. Criticism welcome, but ignore the slightly out of focus pictures, my hands shake* ;)

Ok, so I installed my new light up door sills this weekend (yay me!) and it wasn’t too bad. I’ve searched around on this forum and found a few hints and tricks, but nothing that seemed to help me really, so I wanted to post a couple quick pieces of advice for anybody else planning on doing this. I know this has been covered in the past, but not anything recent that I could find with my search.

First, it is true that you will need to grind down the little plastic ridges on your existing sills to prevent them from making your new sill sit too high. This is not that big of a deal. Pop off the sills (there are two clips under the sill holding them on, gentle but firm upward pressure will pop them off) as this makes them easier to work with. I used a dremel with a snake attachment (so I could hold it flat, dremel was too big by itself) and it took me all of about 25 minutes to do all 4 sills together. Dremels are awesome.

Next, while the sills are off the car, drill a small hole through the bottom where the cable will go, so you don’t have to see it after install. Purely aesthetic.

Now for the electrical stuff!

I did what most people on here have done, which is to run a power wire from the fuse box all the way down the drivers side, behind the seats into the trunk, and back up the passenger side. Which fuse do I use? Ahhh, they made it easy, it’s the one fuse that sticks out further than all the rest! (at least on my ’03 6s, may have changed in the later years) If you check the map in your owner’s manual it is marked, third fuse from the top, third fuse from the front. Pull the fuse out, strip the cable, wrap it around the TOP prong of the fuse, and push the sucker back in. Yes, pulling this fuse out will wipe the presets on your radio, make sure you know what they are. ;)

For the ground, I did like everyone else and used the ground cable coming off of each door sensor. This is what makes the lights turn on when the door is open, and off when the door is closed. This is where I went a little different from some other write ups. They said to use the bundle of wires under the sill, and just find the one you need by color. I left that bundle alone and went to the source.

Front Wires: Pull off the inside panel in the car on the pillar between the doors. Just pull at the edges on both sides and it pops off. Now find the spot just behind the actual door switch. You’ll get a good 2 inches of cable from that spot, and you don’t have to worry about hitting the wrong one, because there’s only one! This is also helpful as all 4 grounds were different colors in my car. When you’ve got everything stripped, spliced, sautered, and taped, get yourself some mounting tape and stick that little black ballast inside this area so it won’t rattle around.

Rear Wires: For the rear doors, this is a little different, and this is a step I haven’t seen anyone else do, but here’s what I did. Drop down the seats first, and then you should have a cushion on either side which doesn’t come down with the seats, but does cover up the back of the door sensor. There’s a trick to this: Behind each of these cushions, near the top, is a black plastic pie-slice shaped switch that releases the cushion.

Both of these switches need to be pushed in the same direction (towards the driver’s side of the car), and when you’ve pushed the magic button, the cushion comes right off. Now you can play with the ground in the rear door. Also, while you have the cushion off, you can run your power cable behind it and into the trunk, making it more hidden in the future than running it under the front of the seat. You will also need to run the cable back here to get it closer to the ground if you’re using my method. You may think that this will put your cables too far away from the sill to plug them in, but trust me it works… just barely on the passenger side, only about an inch of leeway, but it works.

Now just attach your new sills to your old sills, hook up the cables, and put them back in the car! Voila, pretty lights when the door is open.

Front:

Rear:

Some people have found that the double sided tape the sills come with is not sufficient to stick them down, and I found this to be true for the rear sills. Advice has been given to add more double sided tape, but I found my sills to be pretty covered, couldn’t find spare space to add more. So, here’s what I did:

Put the sills in the car (didn’t stick real well), and leave the car parked out in the sun. If you’re like me and have an all black interior, even with the tinted windows by the time I go out for my lunch break its about 100 degrees in there. Now go press all your body weight on that sill for a few minutes. The added heat melted the glue a bit more, and that sucker stuck like a clingy girlfriend. I don’t know if it’ll last, but it works for now. ;)

YAY WRITE UP FINALLY DONE!

·
Registered
461 Posts
God, Finally some info on how this stuff goes in. Maybe when I do this I will follow this and take some pics.

Thanks!

·
Registered
581 Posts
"I did what most people on here have done, which is to run a power wire from the fuse box all the way down the drivers side, behind the seats into the trunk..."

is it fully safe to have open wires in the fuse box? i see a couple write-ups have done this, but it kinda scares me. i already had problems with that 15a fuse.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"I did what most people on here have done, which is to run a power wire from the fuse box all the way down the drivers side, behind the seats into the trunk..."

is it fully safe to have open wires in the fuse box? i see a couple write-ups have done this, but it kinda scares me. i already had problems with that 15a fuse.[/b]
Hey, glad people are still reading this sucker, i did mean it to be helpful. I'll try to take some pics this weekend that should be helpfull.

As far as the wire in the fuse box goes, as far as I know its actually a pretty common practice. I've seen folks with lots of internal mods (stereo system, under lighting, ps2, tv's) whose fuse boxes are a mess, but still work fine. As long as you're carefull.

Don't leave a lot of extra wire, just enough that you can bend the it around that top prong on the fuse.

Why the top prong? Why I'm glad you asked! That puts it after the fuse has already done its job. So, if there is a power surge somewhere, and the fuse does it's job by breaking, your sills are protected and won't get fried.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Woot, only took me a year, but now its a complete write up.

·
Registered
168 Posts
So then, it sounds like the door that opens only lights up it's own door sill, right ? For instance, if the front driver's door is open it doesn't light up the other 3 sills, correct ? How about the rear doors ? The schematic I have shows they share the same wire, so regardless of which of the rear doors are open both rear door sills light up, right ?

I'll be installing some floor lights and want them all to turn on regardless of which door is open. Looks like I'll have to wire it up differently.

Thanks for the pics !

BTW, if you don't want to push a wire into the fuse slot, you can also splice into the blue/red wire for a constant 12v source.

-Nik

·
Registered
84 Posts
So where do you go about gettin these sills?? I would like a set after reading this...They look pretty sweet and the install doesnt look all that bad!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So then, it sounds like the door that opens only lights up it's own door sill, right ? For instance, if the front driver's door is open it doesn't light up the other 3 sills, correct ? How about the rear doors ? The schematic I have shows they share the same wire, so regardless of which of the rear doors are open both rear door sills light up, right ?

I'll be installing some floor lights and want them all to turn on regardless of which door is open. Looks like I'll have to wire it up differently.

Thanks for the pics ![/b]
Yep, I checked them all out, and as far as I can tell they only "really" turn on when you open that specific door.

I did find that when you open the front door, and leave the back closed... the rear sill turns like "half-on", lights dimly. But, since the door is closed, I don't care! ;)

They all turn on when that door is opened, so I'm happy.

So where do you go about gettin these sills?? I would like a set after reading this...They look pretty sweet and the install doesnt look all that bad![/b]
Sadly, the only place I've found these are available is E-Bay. Where they get them from, I have no clue. But, you can get them in multiple colors, multiple finishes, etc. I actually got mine from the dreaded HK-plus who everybody hates, but I figured for a little $20 thing I shouldn't have to worry, and mine came in perfect with no marks, and work great.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Lets get some pics up of these puppies working...(ie in the dark) Im gonna order mine shortly...now just to decide between the blue or red

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lets get some pics up of these puppies working...(ie in the dark) Im gonna order mine shortly...now just to decide between the blue or red[/b]
What color is your 6?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My 6 is silver....i think im gonna go with the blue ones but not sure yet....[/b]
Hmmm, with silver... I think I'd probably go red to match the lights on the dash and gauges. That'd probably be a cool effect, along with some super-white led map-light bulbs. Very clean.

Just my opinion. ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Im not sure about the red...I really like the blue...i saw it in one pic and it looks pretty good, if thats the color blue that ya get....try and post some pics of the ones you installed in the dark!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Hmmm, with silver... I think I'd probably go red to match the lights on the dash and gauges. That'd probably be a cool effect, along with some super-white led map-light bulbs. Very clean.

Just my opinion. ;)[/b]
Totally agree with ya...Red may look best with Silver......

I have a Speed Yellow 6....So, I chose Red also :)

·
Registered
867 Posts
My 6 is silver....i think im gonna go with the blue ones but not sure yet....[/b]
Blue FTW! I have blue LEDs in the maplights and it looks sick....Along with superwhite on the door panels. I think with blue lighted door sills it`ll just make it look even nicer. Wont regret it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
28 Participants
ZEROHA
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing