Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a stupid question, but I was wondering what I would need to install fog lights? Everything from the bumper to the bulb. How much would it cost and where would I go about getting the stuff. I have found fog lights cheap, but Im not sure if its just the lights or if its the bumper and the lights. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
If you don't have the Sports Package bumper, the Mazda OEM lower fog lights are an excellent product. Showcase Mazda has them for <$130. And a 6Club member, MZBuckeye, wrote up a very nice how-to for the installation. The single most difficult part of installing them is moving a wire on the harness under the dash. You need a "Terminal Removal Tool" to remove the wire and re-insert it in another slot. Most who have done the install, including myself, didn't have the tool and ended up using a variety of makeshift tools to do the job. I used a small eyeglass screwdriver to pop the connector out. Other than that one issue, the installation is a piece of cake. And since it's a Mazda factory accessory, the fit and function is excellent. The kit even includes a new headlight swithc stalk with a built in fog light switch.

LINKAGE:
Fog Lights: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...ategoryID=41838

Installation How-To:
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=26918

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
By saying that you found fog lights cheap, I would assume that you meant e-bay and if you buy them from ebay they are guaranteed to NOT fit

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
you could install foglights in your headlight, there's a spot made specifically for that. it would be easier to find something that would fit, and it would be a lot cheaper. that's what i did, even though i already have the lower bumper fogs.

but if you are going to buy the lower fogs, do it from a trusted company so they will fit. like dabears2K said, don't buy off of ebay.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Agreed, with everyone above. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me.
[/b]
well, if these guys are the little angels, then i'm the guy in red with the horns and trident. i went the ebay way and got one. of course, it took some muscle to make it fit, but it fits. and it came with a switch that fits the one empty slot above the coin tray. although the color is amber, instead of red, it still looks nice. the whole set up is nice, but since there's no instruction, just ask around this place is full of help, right hocky?

the fit isn't perfect, but it does fit there, and for 70 cheaper than the oem's, it's not shabby.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Probably a stupid question, but I was wondering what I would need to install fog lights? Everything from the bumper to the bulb. How much would it cost and where would I go about getting the stuff. I have found fog lights cheap, but Im not sure if its just the lights or if its the bumper and the lights. Thanks!
Hi, here is a guide about how to install fog lights:

Things You'll Need:

• car
  • foglights
  • wire
  • electrical tape
  • relay
  • light bulbs
  • switch
  • fuses
  • mounting brackets
  • hardware to attache brackets and lights
  • wire strippers
  • wire nuts
Instructions
Step 1
Purchase materials. If replacing existing units, skip steps 4-10.

Step 2
Remove the lights from the box and check the amp rating. Purchase a switch with a high enough rating. If a switch of equal or higher ratings can't be found, you will need to get a relay (see below).

Step 3
Use the brackets to mount lights in the desired location.

Step 4
Locate a secure, easy to reach place in the car to mount the switch for the lights.

Step 5
Mount the switch in the vehicle.

Step 6
Locate a source of power under the hood that does not directly attach the wires to the battery. (On some vehicles, the headlight circuit may do.)

Step 7
If you found a switch of the needed rating above, connect source to switch, switch to lights, lights to source, then skip to step 11.

Step 8
If you are using a relay, then mount the relay somewhere secure under the hood.

Step 9
Attach the Light circuit to the "Load" side of the relay. Run wire from power source's Hot supply to one of the relays load terminals. Connect the relays other load terminal to the light closest to it. Connect the remaining connection on the light to one of the connections on the other light. Connect the second light's remaining connection to the negative side of the power source.

Step 10
Connect the switch. Run wire from a power source to one of the "Control" terminals on the relay. Connect the other terminal to the switch. Connect the remaining switch terminal to the negative of the power source.

Step 11
Install bulbs.

Step 12
Start car and test. If selected sources fuse blows, replace and try connecting to another source.

Step 13
Proceed if it all works. If not, check connections.

Step 14
Cover all joints with electrical tape to ensure weatherproofing.

Step 15
Now go drive in style...

Source: How to Install Fog Lights | eHow.com

Here is the video:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hi, here is a guide about how to install fog lights:

Things You'll Need:

• wire nuts

WTF? Are u serious? wire nuts??? oh yeah, we all now how secure wire nuts are when used on a vehicle that constantly vibrates, shakes, and bounces on the road.

Cheap easy why- crimp connectors (you need to waterproof tho)

Still cheap but not as easy but is the best and most correct way- solder (still want to insulate and waterproof)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
10 Participants
Mazda 6s GT
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing