Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys after ly last thread of Mazda making a mistake. I picked up my new CAI from mazda and returned the other one. I took it to my friends house because he had most of the tools for the install.. First of all the resenator was a real :swearin: PITA!! Had to remove the tire, and remove most of the fender lining just to remove the 3 bolts of the resenator. Other then that the install was pretty straight forward. Then I reset the ECU, and took it for a test run. Since the ECU self tunes it self I drove it like i stole it. First impression was 1st gear went by really fast. The pick up was a lot faster compaired to stock. Then the whole sucking noise was really loud also. I thought it was way too loud. After driveing it for a while the sound was getting softer and I was use too it. Other than that there is a fluttering noise from the intake when i slow down. Do any of you guys get that also?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Well guys after ly last thread of Mazda making a mistake. I picked up my new CAI from mazda and returned the other one. I took it to my friends house because he had most of the tools for the install.. First of all the resenator was a real :swearin: PITA!! Had to remove the tire, and remove most of the fender lining just to remove the 3 bolts of the resenator. Other then that the install was pretty straight forward. Then I reset the ECU, and took it for a test run. Since the ECU self tunes it self I drove it like i stole it. First impression was 1st gear went by really fast. The pick up was a lot faster compaired to stock. Then the whole sucking noise was really loud also. I thought it was way too loud. After driveing it for a while the sound was getting softer and I was use too it. Other than that there is a fluttering noise from the intake when i slow down. Do any of you guys get that also?
[/b]
Fluttering noise? Did your intake suck something in the filter, maybe a piece of plastic bag or something? Is your filter on tight? I don't get a fluttering noise when I slow down.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I don't have the sound you are talking about. Had my intake for about 7 months now. Yes that resonator is a PITA.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Does the fluttering noise happen after you let off under slight boost? Do you have an aftermarked BOV or the stock bypass valve? It is probably just the sound of extra air being let off when the throttle plate closes.

·
Registered
149 Posts
First impression was 1st gear went by really fast. The pick up was a lot faster compaired to stock. [/b]
Strange, I didn't really notice a difference for a couple of days other than the sound. But I have a different brand CAI not that that would be the difference.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I dont know why everyone takes off the tire... I installed my CAI in like a hour... with the tire, bumper, and most everything else on... I just undid the screws/buttons that hold the wheel well plastic on, reached up inside and took out the bolts...

and the sucking air noise sounds REALLY cool when you pull out of toll booths... :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only happens when i slow down. I installed everything tight. I just dont know why it flutters. Nothing is in there that i know of or else the engine would suck ti in already by now. But there is a fluttering noise. I have a HKS SSQV BOV and I can still hear the BOV go but the fluttering is coming from the intake.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I got nothing.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ah you have an HKS. The beauty of the HKS design is that it has two separate valves. The primary valve can release under light load conditions (such as letting off the throttle under very low boost conditions) and cause a fluttering sound. On most other BOVs that sound could be a bad thing because it would usually be a sign of turbo surge. With the HKS all it means is that it is working as intended. You can test it out if you want. Go out in third or higher gear at low rpms, go WOT for a little bit and snap the throttle closed. You will hear an instant Psssh. Now go back and barely get into the throttle, just enough to build a little boost and let off the throttle. It will make the fluttering sound.

·
Registered
706 Posts
You just have to be automotively nimble and the resonator isn't that much of a pita. I've driven PT cruiser turbos with CAI's that made the fluttering noise and it was the BOV>

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm makes sense i suppose. I thought it was the filter. The filter that came with the intake was pretty crapy. The sound is like a horses grunt.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Ah you have an HKS. The beauty of the HKS design is that it has two separate valves. The primary valve can release under light load conditions (such as letting off the throttle under very low boost conditions) and cause a fluttering sound. On most other BOVs that sound could be a bad thing because it would usually be a sign of turbo surge. With the HKS all it means is that it is working as intended. You can test it out if you want. Go out in third or higher gear at low rpms, go WOT for a little bit and snap the throttle closed. You will hear an instant Psssh. Now go back and barely get into the throttle, just enough to build a little boost and let off the throttle. It will make the fluttering sound.
[/b]
I wouldn't call the opening and closing of the SSQ BOV during low boost "fluttering." The amount of time the sound is heard isn't really long enough to constitute a fluttering. Just my opinion as I have a CAI and SSQ.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm getting my mazdaspeed cai this week. Nervous though about water on the filter from the wheel. As it's raining every day lately.

Also you're saying the filter itself isn't that good? Should I get a different one?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the Filter is good, but the one i got seems kind of flimsy. I will probally swap it with the extra K&N filter I had lying around.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I drove it to work and under low RPM's i doesn't flutter as much, but when i go WOT and let off I get a little flutter. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'm getting my mazdaspeed cai this week. Nervous though about water on the filter from the wheel. As it's raining every day lately.

Also you're saying the filter itself isn't that good? Should I get a different one?
[/b]
Just be careful when driving in the rain. One day after coming out of a car wash I hit the gas a little to hard and the car started sputtering really bad and the check engine light came on. I am sure this was caused by sucking up a little water, as it never happened before. The light stayed on for a few hours, even after I shut the car off for an hour or so. Anyway, it finally went off and I haven't had any problems since. However, I now turn the car off when I go through a car wash. It probably isn't necessary, but it makes me feel better.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Strange, I didn't really notice a difference for a couple of days other than the sound. But I have a different brand CAI not that that would be the difference.
[/b]

+1

·
Registered
862 Posts
Just installed my Mazdaspeed CAI today and damn that f*[email protected] resonator was a royal PITA!!! The car feels like it has lost some weight and I love the woosh sound it makes now. Thanks to all for the info.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Well, I really got a chance to drive the car with the new CAI today and what a world of difference. The car pulls a lot better now and well...the sound of the turbo sucking air had me worried that all the hose clamps weren't tight, the damn thing sounds like a vacuum cleaner I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can tackle some more mods. Once again thanks to everyone who posted info for the install.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts