Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed magnaflows for the 2004 V6 this morning. Considering im a real noob who never messed w/ the exhaust system ever, it took me about 5 hours to complete. i would say the hardest part is removing the stock exhaust hangers.

definately searched and used the how-to's/reviews on installing the magnaflows> it really helped. when i reconnected the battery no CEL were lit - that was good.

HOWEVER, my only problem is the fitment issue i have on the muffler tips. the driver's side seems to touch the top-left rim on the bumper and is too inward compared to the passenger's side. the muffler tip on the passenger's side seems to also touch the top-left rim on the bumper.

Tried to see where the problem was and noticed if i pushed the either mufflers themselves upwards, the tips would straighten out. however the driver's side muffler tip would still be positiioned too inward compared to the other tip. i used kartboy hangers specifically for the mazda6 and noticed that they would bend when i pushed the mufflers. i did notice that the holes on the hangers were not completely tight around the body hangers on the magnaflows.

Any comments/help/suggestions to fix this problem?

·
Registered
935 Posts
I don't have my 6 anymore so my recollection might be a bit rusty, BUT...if I remember correctly the connection between the y-split pipe and the mid-pipe (the one with the resonator) is a slip fit held tight with a clamp collar. A suggestion for moving both of the muffler tips farther toward the rear of the car would be to loosen the clamp collar holding the y-split pipe to the mid pipe, and move the entire y-split pipe + mufflers assembly toward the rear of the car. When you have the tips positioned where you want them in that direction, re-tighten the clamp collar where the y-split pipe meets the mid pipe. Make sure you don't move the y-split pipe away so much that it fails to seal up properly with the mid pipe.

Then, to lower the tips so they no longer touch the bumper, loosen the clamp collars that hold the muffler pipes to the y-split pipe. this will allow the mufflers to basically pivot and you can adjust the muffler tips that way. When you get them where you want them, tighten everything back up. It may take a few iterations before you are satisfied. I know it took me 15 minutes or so to align them just right. Also, I can't remember which side it was but I know that one muffler tip stuck out from the bumper just slightly more than the other. I'm talking maybe 3/8 of an inch, but just enough for me to notice. If that happens to you, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. The more important thing is that they are at least flush with the rear bumper, they are centered in the bumper cutouts when viewed straight from behind, and they are not touching the plastic bumper. Make sure you leave a gap the whole way back, not just at the very rear. The cutouts taper slightly downward as you move toward the front of the car, so make sure the tip is clear the whole way up.

Hope this helps. That's how I did it, and I thought mine looked great.

-steve

EDIT - One more thing -- Make sure you used the proper hangers in the proper locations. The smaller ones go up near the resonator, and the three larger ones are used at the remaining locations. I don't know if that would even make a difference, but I figured it was worth confirming anyway while you're under there.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Mine's worse...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thats funny me and my buddy timed how long it took us to install my magnaflows and it took us 17 minutes!

·
Registered
901 Posts
took me maybe an hour when i first installed mine. But that was becuase I had to fiddle around with the mufflers to get em to sit right. Now they are perfect tho :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
Trouble1986
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing