Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a friend who's a tech here at work take it for a drive to see if he noticed the "surging" feeling on regular acceleration. He said he really felt it in 3rd then under moderate acceleration, he said it backfired in 3rd gear, made a thooop kind of sound. I just put the BOV on last night. Anyone else notice any wacky backfiring kind of stuff with this BOV?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I had a friend who's a tech here at work take it for a drive to see if he noticed the "surging" feeling on regular acceleration. He said he really felt it in 3rd then under moderate acceleration, he said it backfired in 3rd gear, made a thooop kind of sound. I just put the BOV on last night. Anyone else notice any wacky backfiring kind of stuff with this BOV?
[/b]
I've had mine in since just before Xmas. Didn't notice much of a difference except that that pssht has a slightly different sound vs. stock. Otherwise, car has been running pretty much the same.

Can you describe the "surging" your buddy was talking about?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm the one complaining about "surging". Best way I know how to describe it. It's like something drops out intermittently while accelerating in lower gears, although I've noticed it in 5th as well. Another way to describe it would be like letting off and getting back on the gas as it revs in each gear. Very wierd. I never heard the BOV do anything at lunch, it ran fine for me. The "surging" I've felt since new, has nothing to do with the BOV.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Got it. I thought the surging was related b/c the post title was about your crushed BOV.

I couldn't hear my BOV (stock or crushed) until after I got my CAI. Now I hear it all the time.

Could your surging be related to the stuttering that's been mentioned in other posts? Have you had the ECU reflashed? My MS6 did weird stuff under throttle (in all gears) but all that cleared up after the ECU got reflashed the 2nd time (1st for recall & 2nd for CEL). It's been running like a champ since.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, they did the recall right before I bought it, which was late November. I wonder if there's new software that would alleviate some of the hesitation/surge/whatever. I definitely heard my turbo whistling today, that was cool.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have just installed my crushed BOV, no real difference in how the car drives. Still get that hesitation at times, don't know yet if it'll be worse or better but it's not gone. Waiting for Mazda to figure this out (especially since there are cars that get it and those that don't).

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I expected no difference. I did it as insurance against boost loss, as I'm sure most do.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I put mine on last night....1G DSM crushed....can't tell any difference at all.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I put mine on last night....1G DSM crushed....can't tell any difference at all.
[/b]
Honestly, you wouldn't feel a difference unless you upped your boost, drove around, heard a thunk, got out of your car, and noticed that a huge hole was created in your hood where the top of your stock BOV blew through it (VERY slim chance that it was make a hole but the stock BOVs are weak and unreliable).

The 1g BOV mod does have sound differences, if you listen close enough, and gives you added reliability and piece of mind since it's a metal piece, rather than plastic.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine looks OE since I had it beadblasted first...... I can definitely hear the high pitched boost sound now.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Did you guys crush yours? If so, how much?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts