Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a torn inner boot which I just noticed on the car. I have taken the CV joint out and I have the replacement boot ready to go. I can't figure out how to take the inner cup off. I am hoping this isn't pressed on. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
On MOST cars once you remove the shaft there's a circlip on the inner CV. It's often very hard to see with the grease in the joint but it's there. Remove that and the CV should disassemble easily allowing removal of the boot.

Clean the internals of that joint REAL well and check for galling before repacking it; if you find damage you *may* be able to swap the ends of the center piece which will place an "un-galled" section where contact is made. Maybe. That's true for some CVs in some vehicles but not others. If not and there's damage then you need a replacement CV.

When you reassemble it make sure you use a NEW clip. If that clip comes off or breaks due to fatigue you're in a world of hurt.

BTW while you CAN just go buy a new axle at the various auto places be aware that virtually all the replacements are Chineesium junk. If you enjoy replacing them then the "lifetime warranty" may be perfectly fine with you but if not and your OE axle is rebuildable (most of the time it is) it is almost-certainly a better option in all respects to do so including both quality and balance, never mind being cheaper.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Curious where you bought the boot...from the dealer? I didn't see any on rockauto so I was wondering where to get them.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I bought the cheapest C/V for the passenger side that RockAuto sells. I've put over 30K KM on it so far and I am not easy on this car. So far so good, no balance issues well over go to jail speeds. I don't ever pop the clutch and shock it that way, but I do like to go fast and corner fast at times. No issues so far.

I should also add that I have all urethane motor mounts so I do have that extra stiffness.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
b1lk1
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing