Mazda 6 Forums banner
141 - 160 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
what do u mean toned down i liked the new more that bitch would get it hahah
I don't know maybe I had gotten used to the old intake but it got going between 60-90. I remember on the freeway I pulled away from a 3 Series from 60-85 and then of course he got away after that and I wasn't trying to get a ticket either. :p.

But that's just my initial opinion, I've only had it on for a couple days and it just seems quieter and not really much punch maybe after awhile i"ll change my view.

·
Registered
34 Posts
curious about some saying "just go to a top tier gasoline ...". I'm assuming because they have additives in the gasoline etc.. that precludes a better quality gas. BUT, in another thread I read people saying that "regular" is just as good as premium etc.. IF you suggest top tier gas, then "more additives" in the premium gas would be even "more" beneficial, no?

·
Registered
313 Posts
curious about some saying "just go to a top tier gasoline ...". I'm assuming because they have additives in the gasoline etc.. that precludes a better quality gas. BUT, in another thread I read people saying that "regular" is just as good as premium etc.. IF you suggest top tier gas, then "more additives" in the premium gas would be even "more" beneficial, no?
No, on the contrary. The more additives, the less gasoline in gasoline, quite literally. Your engine does not burn additives, it burns gasoline. Adding anything to it lowers the amount of gasoline per given volume.

Those additives are of course inevitable, especially the ones that increase the octane rating. But the less of them, the better (in terms of power output). In other words: for maximum output you should use the lowest octane No allowed by the engine manufacturer.

There's one exception to the rule above - gasoline with additives containing oxygen. Not sure if those are available in the USA. Oxygen improves combustion, so this is the only additive that actually increases your power - not by much, but still. It gives the same result as driving in winter, when there's more oxygen in a given volume of air taken in by the engine.

Hope this makes sense... If not, I'll try to explain better next time :)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
No, on the contrary. The more additives, the less gasoline in gasoline, quite literally. Your engine does not burn additives, it burns gasoline. Adding anything to it lowers the amount of gasoline per given volume.

Those additives are of course inevitable, especially the ones that increase the octane rating. But the less of them, the better (in terms of power output). In other words: for maximum output you should use the lowest octane No allowed by the engine manufacturer.

There's one exception to the rule above - gasoline with additives containing oxygen. Not sure if those are available in the USA. Oxygen improves combustion, so this is the only additive that actually increases your power - not by much, but still. It gives the same result as driving in winter, when there's more oxygen in a given volume of air taken in by the engine.

Hope this makes sense... If not, I'll try to explain better next time :)
We can not get straight oxygen add-ins here (at least that I've been able to find), however, Shell V-power (premium) does contain Nitrogen. That's the best we get, and it's more of a cleaner than anything.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Having re-read what I have written I decided to add: this is all true when we talk about trying to maximize the engine power output here and now. But the additives in modern fuels have another, important function: to ensure that the engine will still output its rated power a year or five years from now. I'm talking about the cleaning agents added now to pretty much all commercial fuels. They don't help maximize your power today, but they slow down engine age-related power loss.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Question, out of the people having issues with CEL and running RICH. How many are ATX vs MTX.

I read on another site that an MTX owner was having nothing but issues with it running RICH.

One other observation is I would never think an intake would create a RICH condition, LEAN hell yeah. If you are getting a RICH condition, I would think that your car is losing power.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well just got an email form Ardrian at injen and they are making a new tube. I sent him the report of my CEL and he is using that info also he said someone that was local is bring the the car in for them to run some tests. lets hope this gets fixed ...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Well just got an email form Ardrian at injen and they are making a new tube. I sent him the report of my CEL and he is using that info also he said someone that was local is bring the the car in for them to run some tests. lets hope this gets fixed ...
I don't know about them anymore this will be their what third tube.? Maybe they should have just waited it out like corksport or something.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I don't know about them anymore this will be their what third tube.? Maybe they should have just waited it out like corksport or something.
I agree. They seemed to have rushed it.

Actually, IIRC, Corksport pulled their SRI for the Gen3 MZ6 after a month or two.

Maybe the engineering is so precise with the 6's Skyactiv motor that any modification throws things off.

I recall some folks with the Skyactiv 3 did ECU resets after installing breather mods (basically unplug the battery for 1 minute, then do different driving for 20 minute intervals for fuel mapping). Wonder if that's what is needed for the 6 on any modifications.

I am thinking of just going with a drop in filter. Don't need any engine bling like I did on my G35 and it looks like it will be more trouble than its worth.

Although, I am still looking into an exhaust... guess we'll see what comes out for those.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think there should be some exhaust options on the way. I believe Street Unit sells the Auto-Exe one. Racing beat is supposed to be finishing one in the fall. Corksport has an axleback coming pretty soon.
I also have heard from a source that Tanabe will be making some parts in the coming R&D season

·
Registered
338 Posts
I think there should be some exhaust options on the way. I believe Street Unit sells the Auto-Exe one. Racing beat is supposed to be finishing one in the fall. Corksport has an axleback coming pretty soon.
I also have heard from a source that Tanabe will be making some parts in the coming R&D season

Not holding my breath on the Tanabe option. They were supposed to come out with an axle-back for the Skyactiv 3 and its been delayed.

My bet will be on the CS one. They already have one out for the CX-5 and it looks pretty nice.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Talked w/ Injen...

Any updates on this?
I saw information on another forum and called Injen for an UPDATE on Wednesday (09/18/13). Since I already had purchased the intake (SP6073P), I asked for an update on the replacement. They informed me that the REVISED version will be available in two (2) weeks. I was also informed that they will replace the main tube unit at no charge for those who already own it (and implied that the existing one will NOT be needed to be sent back). So IF you already own this, please find your receipts in preparation to provide proof of purchase for your replacement. Based on the conversation, you should be able to call INJEN (TEL 909.839.0706) on or after October 2nd, 2013! :D

Props goes to @Monkee for working w/ INJEN in getting this addressed!:cool:

·
Registered
206 Posts
you should be able to call INJEN (TEL 909.839.0706) on or after October 2nd, 2013! :D
Well it's October 3rd now. Anyone have any updates? -- I'm still with my 2004 Mazda, but I'm curious to see the aftermarket develop for you guys with the 2.5L Skyactiv engines...

141 - 160 of 178 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.