Mazda 6 Forums banner
101 - 120 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Really? What facts do you have to base this statement off of?
1. "Silniki spalinowe małej i średniej mocy", Jan Werner, Jan Wajand. Wydawnictwa Naukowo-Techniczne, Warszawa 1983 & subsequent editions.
2. "Elastyczność tłokowych silników spalinowych", Józef Kołtun, Janusz Mysłowski. Wydawnictwa Naukowo Techniczne, Warszawa 2000.
3. "Silniki pojazdów samochodowych. Cz. 2. Układy zasilania, chłodzenia, smarowania, dolotowe i wylotowe." Piotr Zając. Wyd. Komunikacji i Łączności, 2012.

:)

PS. Pls note I said "not feasible", not "impossible".

·
Registered
477 Posts
LOL, been busy trying to catch up here at work after a week's vacation. For those of you with the old tube and have not had any CEL. It could be because of the way you drive. I did not have any CEL but I have a heavy foot.

That said, you are still better off exchanging for the new tube. The biggest difference is the mid range with the new tube is much improved. It has also been very hot lately and heat soak has not been an issue either.
Just installed the new tube. Agree the biggest and most noticable difference is in the mid range. Other than that, same feel (20 mile test drive).

One tip - screw in the MAF first before screwing everything else down. Injen moved it to the back of the tube and its rather annoying trying to screw it in when in that position.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think Gajdzin knows what he's talking about, so if he gets one then I'll reorder one. I'm still leery about the new skyactive/high compression technology (and everything being under warranty). I know you guys are gonna say "it's just more air into the engine" but I don't care. Gajdzin, make sure you post (or message me) if order.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think Gajdzin knows what he's talking about, so if he gets one then I'll reorder one. I'm still leery about the new skyactive/high compression technology (and everything being under warranty). I know you guys are gonna say "it's just more air into the engine" but I don't care. Gajdzin, make sure you post (or message me) if order.
I'm not here to try and change anyone's mind. I'm curious on how people come to certain conclusions about things. I'm comfortable in doing certain mods to my car based on previous knowledge and being lucky to have been around some of the best tuners in the industry. There have been many production vehicles with high compression motors throughout time. Mazda has put their own twist on it but at the end of the day we are still working on a internal combustion engine. There is no "black magic" to a intake whether it be a short ram or cold air style. It is one of the simplest most basic mods you can do to a car.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'll do that, but it won't be soon - my Mazda 6 arrives a week from today and I will need to really get to know her before attempting any mods :)
BTW, I think you are adopting a very sensible approach. There is an inherent risk to any mod - not that I'm advising against them in general, but it's wise to understand the risks and minimize them. Changing a sensitive component of a new and yet unproven engine is simply a bit more risky than doing it to one that's been around for a while and more is understood about its behavior under various conditions.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Okay, I'll make the debate easy.

If you want a tad more power, buy the a CAI.
If you are afraid of warranty issues or believe that a CAI won't make a difference, don't buy a CAI.
If you have the old tube and do not have a CEL and fine with its power gain, do not contact Injen for a swap.
If you want to swap the old tube for a new one for a tad more power, contact Injen.
If you don't care about mods for your car, don't buy the CAI.
If you enjoy working on your car and is comfortable with mods, buy the CAI.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I see a good, analytical mind here :)

I would add 3 items to this list:
If you want more power via intake modification, buy a CAI and have a reputable, professional tuning shop modify the ECU map to optimize the AFR.
If you want to buy a new CAI, wait for a few manufacturers to come up with one and choose the one you like, instead of being limited to the first one on the market.
If you want to buy the Injen CAI, wait for a few owners to publish their before & after dyno plots done at a 3rd party shops (not Injen).

·
Registered
497 Posts
If you have the old tube and do not have a CEL and fine with its power gain, do not contact Injen for a swap.
If you want to swap the old tube for a new one for a tad more power, contact Injen.
That's the only part I really want to know before I switch how much is a tad? I feel like my car does a decent job in the mid-range and higher range if you push the pedal down.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I see a good, analytical mind here :)

I would add 3 items to this list:
If you want more power via intake modification, buy a CAI and have a reputable, professional tuning shop modify the ECU map to optimize the AFR.
If you want to buy a new CAI, wait for a few manufacturers to come up with one and choose the one you like, instead of being limited to the first one on the market.
If you want to buy the Injen CAI, wait for a few owners to publish their before & after dyno plots done at a 3rd party shops (not Injen).
Our you can keep things in perspective. It's a 200 dollar bolt on mod. It's not going to transform your car into a Speed3 beater or race car. Injen is a leader in their industry. You can wait for a few other manufactures but keep in mind there is very few manufactures that actually manufacture in house like Injen does. Most companies simply private label or source a variety of parts and sell you a "Frankenstein" intake with virtually no R/D or dyno time to back it up. You go around using phony dyno plots to sell a product will most definitely lead to a lawsuit.

As for Injen's credibility with their dyno numbers. I saw the dyno and what the dyno said is what the plot showed. Injen has been in this business far to long to start cheating on dyno plots. Companies that do that don't stay in business that long in the U.S. Remember the United States is the most litigious country in the world. People sue over here for spilling hot coffee on their lap.

·
Registered
101 Posts
That's the only part I really want to know before I switch how much is a tad? I feel like my car does a decent job in the mid-range and higher range if you push the pedal down.
I did not have a CEL light with my old tube but I swapped it out anyways. I honestly think it is a lot better than the old tube.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I did not have a CEL light with my old tube but I swapped it out anyways. I honestly think it is a lot better than the old tube.
I second that -- and it's a bit louder too (Something my wife actually noticed) :cool:

Reactions: PRiiCeLeSS

·
Registered
313 Posts
Injen has been in this business far to long to start cheating on dyno plots. Companies that do that don't stay in business that long in the U.S. Remember the United States is the most litigious country in the world. People sue over here for spilling hot coffee on their lap.
Oh, I didn't mean to ply Injen was cheating and I apologize if I came across this way. It's just that the observer affects the experiment and if the observer has a stake in getting a specific result, he/she is more likely to get that result. A combination of Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle and the Law of Self-Fulfilling Prophecies :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here in my opinion in layman's terms. I was pleasantly surprised at the 184HP and 185TQ of the 6. It didn't feel under powered until you have a full load of adults and on a very steep hill. It was always responsive and when you needed to pass a semi or a Prius(worst drivers, ever!), it could.

With that said, I had every intention to install a CAI. I have found that having less air restriction has always helped with power, better MPG and throttle response. All the cars I've owned has had a CAI. My 2004 Silverado has one in it now and it's helped that gas guzzler. I have had both cheap and expensive CAIs. I've had CEL and some had no trouble. Much like with anything, you get what you paid for.

What I've noticed since adding the Injen CAI. Throttle response has improved. I'm led footed, so I notice a bit of a "jump" in the throttle when I first step on the gas off the line...but it can be remedied with a lighter press. Much more engine noise. There is a deep growl when you first give it some gas up to 3K RPM in 1st gear, all the way to 2500K RPM onto 2nd gear, after that it seems to be less growl in the upper gears. Cruising at 60 with a light foot or maintained speed, it almost sounds stock with normal engine noise. Punch it from maintained 60MPH to 80 MPH, little growl but I felt the difference from stock to now...much more responsive. There is not one time where the CAI "bogged" down the 6. Every gear, every step on the gas feels like stock...just with more power, more tourqe and more sweet sound.

There will be other brands out there, I'm sure. Anyone can get a stainless steel tube, put a couple of bends, a couple of clamps, weld on a bung, rubber connectors and a filter. Reputation, research and customer service...with any aftermarket item I add on, this are my minimum requirements. If you have any doubt in your head about any mods...don't do it. None of the mods out there are permanent, so if you don't like it take it off and sell it. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Our you can keep things in perspective. It's a 200 dollar bolt on mod. It's not going to transform your car into a Speed3 beater or race car. Injen is a leader in their industry. You can wait for a few other manufactures but keep in mind there is very few manufactures that actually manufacture in house like Injen does. Most companies simply private label or source a variety of parts and sell you a "Frankenstein" intake with virtually no R/D or dyno time to back it up. You go around using phony dyno plots to sell a product will most definitely lead to a lawsuit.

As for Injen's credibility with their dyno numbers. I saw the dyno and what the dyno said is what the plot showed. Injen has been in this business far to long to start cheating on dyno plots. Companies that do that don't stay in business that long in the U.S. Remember the United States is the most litigious country in the world. People sue over here for spilling hot coffee on their lap.
The usefulness of a CAI, an age old debate...

Well you gotta take their numbers with a grain of salt. Not all dynos read the same. Some reads higher hp then others, IE mustang dynos. And you have to factor in the environment.

And adding on to your opinion of the CAI, don't mean to offend anyone, but CAI is only good for sound. The car probably feels faster from the lighter wallet you are now carrying.:D Most intakes on small N/A do not give much hp, which is a different story on a big motor or F/I with tune. A correct tune will help optimize your CAI regardless. You can check other car forums and you'll notice the trend.

I have had intakes on all of my M3s. Did nothing more then make my car sound a little meaner.

BUT CAI with headers and exhaust plus a "DYNO" tune should produce decent results.

To anyone who wants to buy one, just buy one because you want one, don't worry too much about how much 10 hp will feel. Because a lighter 190 hp Civic will still have trouble with 4 adults going up a steep hill

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hey for all who have installed the intake do you push the filter all the way up against the tube or just till it stops. to me it seems like it is not on well if i don't push it all the way. also i am the only one who got a CEL with the new tube did not have it before i am going to check everything today thanks guys....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey for all who have installed the intake do you push the filter all the way up against the tube or just till it stops. to me it seems like it is not on well if i don't push it all the way. also i am the only one who got a CEL with the new tube did not have it before i am going to check everything today thanks guys....
I am having the same issue with my new tube. I've tried taking it off, tightening, retightening, resetting, reclamping, you name it. still have a cel on the new tube. let me know if you get a resolution!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am having the same issue with my new tube. I've tried taking it off, tightening, retightening, resetting, reclamping, you name it. still have a cel on the new tube. let me know if you get a resolution!
I have been on the phone with injen can't get it to work. I even cleaned my mass air sensor still came back on i pulled the battery and reset the code. I had no problem with first model but I change it bc of the added HP... This is making me mad as hell.. I am getting code P0172 system rich (bank 1) ... I might put the stock unit on and have injen send me a whole new set. I will keep u posted ..... Tell me if u find something out.. Anyone else having issues?????????

101 - 120 of 178 Posts