Mazda 6 Forums banner
61 - 80 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Yeah, I agree on the space thing. Room for a turbo, inter-cooler and piping (Mazdaspeed6... come on...)
yup I see it to, headers make a 90* turn and hammer into a turbo.. piping for an intercooler easily.. and about a t3 turbo might fit haha. someone will inevitably cram in a t5 or so though :p.

Why are we talking boost though? we KNOW there is room for a turbo (2 in fact! :p). The diesel is a TT car and a similarly sized engine overall. Where the problem is lies in a stock 13:1 compression.. NOT turbo friendly. I would love to see someone make it work on a stock engine though... because 13:1 is not suppose to be 87 octane friendly lol

I have to say it.. I'm interested in buying one of these you guys want to get rid of but I'd like to see more sound videos after these reports too. I'm use to a V8 and turbo 4. The stock growl on this is pretty satisfying, I just wouldn't want it any higher pitch.. deeper hopefully lol.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I put mine on over the weekend.

It's louder than I thought it would be. I knew it would be a bit louder but I had hoped it would just be a little. It was hard to tell if there were any noticeable increases in power. I decided to take it off and put the stock intake back on because I'm afraid it will attract too much unwanted attention. Will be putting it up for sale.
Price and color :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
You don't like the sound??? Its BA dude, I love that growl it has in a low rpm 2nd gear, right when its really pulling like going up a hill. Its freakin awesome. But for those who don't want to spend the money or mod their car, its really cool how Mazda put a air intake right up front under the hood. Ive never seen that before, not that Ive looked under a ton of cars hoods. And what was the deal with the massive "resonator" (I don't know what else to call it) area at the bottom of the airbox. I think Ive been getting a little better gas mileage. Before I changed to the CAI I had an avg. of 30.3, on this new tank with CAI I'm already at 30.8 avg mpg, and Im only half through this tank. All in all I did question the CAI, but by the 3rd day I loved it.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
You don't like the sound??? Its BA dude, I love that growl it has in a low rpm 2nd gear, right when its really pulling like going up a hill. Its freakin awesome. But for those who don't want to spend the money or mod their car, its really cool how Mazda put a air intake right up front under the hood. Ive never seen that before, not that Ive looked under a ton of cars hoods. And what was the deal with the massive "resonator" (I don't know what else to call it) area at the bottom of the airbox. I think Ive been getting a little better gas mileage. Before I changed to the CAI I had an avg. of 30.3, on this new tank with CAI I'm already at 30.8 avg mpg, and Im only half through this tank. All in all I did question the CAI, but by the 3rd day I loved it.
that "resonator" is a silencer on the stock airbox. Most cars have these and simply eliminating it helps to improve sound, but not flow like others. As for the intake right up front, most cars I've seen have that. Mazda goes a step further and makes most of theirs a cold air from the factory.. just not the best flowing design ever.

Reactions: ammelena

·
Registered
477 Posts
Question for those that installed preceded by a DOH moment.

1) got the intake yesterday and went to install. All was going great until my dumbass accidentally dropped the vibramount down into the engine well. No big deal right? Nope! Could not find it. Went under and opened the access port by the oil filter to try and grab it. it's literally GONE. Even checked the garage floor. Ordered another and should be here by Saturday.

2) for those that installed already -- which route did you go for getting the filter down into the wheel well? Did you remove the bumper like instructions say to or did you take off the wheel and go in that way? Just curious if the bumper removal is faster or not.

adios

·
Registered
10 Posts
Question for those that installed preceded by a DOH moment.

1) got the intake yesterday and went to install. All was going great until my dumbass accidentally dropped the vibramount down into the engine well. No big deal right? Nope! Could not find it. Went under and opened the access port by the oil filter to try and grab it. it's literally GONE. Even checked the garage floor. Ordered another and should be here by Saturday.

2) for those that installed already -- which route did you go for getting the filter down into the wheel well? Did you remove the bumper like instructions say to or did you take off the wheel and go in that way? Just curious if the bumper removal is faster or not.

adios
I didn't take the whole bumper off, I just took the clips out of the wheel well and loosened the bumper, it was a tight fit but I jimmied the filter in and then fed the pipe down to it. I didn't have to take the wheel off but I did jack it up on one side to give me a little extra room. I wish it had the vents in the wheel well like my '05 6 had, they let the growl out lol. And it was nice to have my fog lights in the main light bar, I cut some make- shift holes in those waffle covers to give it more air straight to the CAI. And I gotta say.... I really miss my green paint. I got the reflex blue, its awesome but it just doesn't have that wet shine like the green did.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am also getting a better avg. i do all city driving no highway at all and it has gone up for 26.4 to 26.8 i have the Touring so i have the the 19 inch wheels .. also love the sound

·
Registered
477 Posts
Looks great! where can you find a source on the HP gain? Oh - and is it easy to install if you're not very skilled at mechanics?
Literally just finished my install -- took me 45 mins from start to finish. Sounds great as everyone says -- well worth it. Will pay attention to any MPG gains

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just installed my black Injen CAI and I love it. I didn't even remove my bumper or tire. I just removed the clips off the left fender and removed the front clips and screws of the under cover from center to the left well. Slid the filter with hydro sheild under the fog light. The under cover plastic is thinner than the wheel well, so it flexes more. I also like the black color because it got a metallic flake to it...it's more of a dark grey. I can't wait for the exhaust on this 6 to one out.

·
Registered
477 Posts
This morning's MPG increase report, post install of the INJEN CAI -- up from 31.6 to 34.1

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hey guys, wanted to pass along some info I literally just got from Injen. Been emailing with Bryan Munoz over there about the CEL issues and the lean codes the CAI is throwing and he just advised that they're stopping production on the intake and bringing in vehicles for further testing. Suggested I put the stock intake back on (which I will not be doing -- will just be keeping an eye on the codes and making sure it's just p0171)

Pretty sure they wouldn't do this for just one report of a CEL, so they must be getting a few, no? Or, it's just a company dedicated to R&D and wants to make sure they get it right.

Reactions: Gajdzin

·
Registered
498 Posts
I got mine in the mail yesterday (shipment was delayed a few days) but got it installed in under and hour. The Injen Install instruction page is VERY straight forward with great pictures. Mine came with a free hydroshield which was great because my first test drive was in the pouring rain.
I have already put about 100miles on it and already notice an mpg gain of about 2mpg. I am a 'spirited' driver on the highway so my avg is around 29.3 and getting 31 with CAI on there.
Love the deep growl in 2nd gear and going up hills. The HP gain inst too noticeable but I am really liking the overall product so far.

NOTES: The rubber tube they gave me to replace the stock unit that connects to the back of the engine block does not sit tight on the connection of the CAI tap. It is very loose and slided off with little effort in installment. I have it zip tightened right now (I know I know but better than duct tape) and I will be getting a tightening band from home depot tonight to make sure this hose stays put. I can only imagine that thing poppin loose on the highway. . .
Also, my last intake on my 05 Mazda6 came with an Injen vinyl. None this time but I purchased 2x on amazon for 4bucks w/shipping.

That's my 2 cents

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: kylekap19

·
Registered
477 Posts
I got mine in the mail yesterday (shipment was delayed a few days) but got it installed in under and hour. The Injen Install instruction page is VERY straight forward with great pictures. Mine came with a free hydroshield which was great because my first test drive was in the pouring rain.
I have already put about 100miles on it and already notice an mpg gain of about 2mpg. I am a 'spirited' driver on the highway so my avg is around 29.3 and getting 31 with CAI on there.
Love the deep growl in 2nd gear and going up hills. The HP gain inst too noticeable but I am really liking the overall product so far.

NOTES: The rubber tube they gave me to replace the stock unit that connects to the back of the engine block does not sit tight on the connection of the CAI tap. It is very loose and slided off with little effort in installment. I have it zip tightened right now (I know I know but better than duct tape) and I will be getting a tightening band from home depot tonight to make sure this hose stays put. I can only imagine that thing poppin loose on the highway. . .
Also, my last intake on my 05 Mazda6 came with an Injen vinyl. None this time but I purchased 2x on amazon for 4bucks w/shipping.

That's my 2 cents

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Love the growl too -- overall, the intake is great (except for the original CEL I kept getting - last reset of ECU and 140 miles in and no CEL. I dont have high hopes though. Will see if INJEN redesigns anything.

I noticed the tube being loose as well and have plans for the band too.

I got an INJEN white vinyl with mine -- weird they didnt include one

61 - 80 of 178 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.