Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for those of you who had the injen intake on a V6 MTX and bought the CP-E customizer.

1. Other than getting rid of the cel....is there a NOTICEABLE differance with the costumizer?

Now second question is for those who had the customizer, and went out and bought the full CP-E MAFci setup.

1. How noticable is the differance between the full CP-E setup and the injen customizer setup?

I own an injen intake and have a real hard time deciding if i should just get the customizer or take a hit on the intake and spend $500 and get the full set - up.

If you look on the CP-E website.....the full set up only gains 2 or so hp over the injen customizer set up. SO is it worth geting the full set up or do you guys think i will be satisfied with the injen customizer setup.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
The difference is in throttle response (Full CP-E responds faster), and in the area under the curve.

This is because the CP-E system is using their own intake specifically designed for the application, while as the injen intake is primarily just a fix, which also happens to add additional power as a side effect.

The more aggressive map on the CP-E intake is best seen by looking at the torque curves between the two intakes. (Ignore the numbers, just look at the graphs).

CP-E vs Stock (Ignore numbers, just look at the graph)

Injen/Mafci vs Stock

Note the much larger overall increase in power across the entire band, vs the injen cp-e fix. Peak horsepower never tells the full story, thus why the term "dyno queen" was invented. Car's with high power, but anorexic powerbands are always slower then a vehicle tuned for power across the entire rev range.

The biggest difference between the two is 2.5 to 4.5k rpm range. The Full CP-E gives you more low end grunt, and honestly changes your driving style, cause you no longer need to rev as high to get the umf.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
God Damn!!!!!!! Well I guess i have no choice than but to shell out another $500.

Injen is going up for sale..... :D
Thanks crossbow!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Originally posted by bart_r6@Mar 16 2005, 03:24 AM
God Damn!!!!!!! Well I guess i have no choice than but to shell out another $500.

Injen is going up for sale..... :D
Thanks crossbow!
[snapback]378248[/snapback]​

you won't regret it. It worth every penny and then some.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hold on hold on hold on...

Are you saying that the CP-E give roughly 5hp max over the Injen with the CP-E chip? :huh:

I dunno if it's woth paying $275 more for 5hp. It's probably just me that interpreted the thread incorrectly.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Its easy. Look at the lines at 2.5-4.5k. Note how there is a larger gap between stock in the CP-E graph? Thats called area under the curve. The greater the area under the curve, the greater overall power gain. Its the area under the curve thats important...peak numbers are relatively useless as far as drivability is concerned. Would you rather have 10 more hp available from 2,500 to 6,500 rpm, or 20 more hp available from 5500 to 6500 rpm?

I just you missed the entire "ignore the numbers" part that was in bold. The two graphs numbers can't be compared because its two different cars about three months apart. Its the general shape of the graph were looking at here.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Originally posted by crossbow@Mar 16 2005, 03:33 AM
Its easy.  Look at the lines at 2.5-4.5k.  Note how there is a larger gap between stock in the CP-E graph?  Thats called area under the curve.  The greater the area under the curve, the greater overall power gain.  Its the area under the curve thats important...peak numbers are relatively useless as far as drivability is concerned.  Would you rather have 10 more hp available from 2,500 to 6,500 rpm, or 20 more hp available from 5500 to 6500 rpm?

I just you missed the entire "ignore the numbers" part that was in bold.  The two graphs numbers can't be compared because its two different cars about three months apart.  Its the general shape of the graph were looking at here.
[snapback]378283[/snapback]​

no no...I get it...I'm all about math and area under a curve....but I was asking more of the max gains.

The first graph is CPE vs. Stock? ....why are the stock curves totally different in the two graphs?

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Because those are, and correct me if I'm wrong here Greg, different runs on different days with different cars.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Not to mention that the original test car was an ATX, while the new test car (for the full system... the "better" graph) was an MTX car...

·
Registered
376 Posts
i just keep hearing good things about the CP-E

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
As dave and jrsy91gmc stated...these are two different cars with two different transmissions dyno'd on two different days. Not just two different days, but almost 3-4 months apart.

Thus as stated...

IGNORE? THE NUMBERS? YES OF COURSE!

I only posted the two graphs to demonstrate the difference in the area under the curves, in that the full CP-E kicks in earlier with more low end grunt then the Injen/Mafci fix. I'm going to make the ignore the numbers part really big and in orange, since everyone seems to be missing all the bold. There happy? Now everyone's eyes are bleeding from the harsh orange bolded giant font.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I made a little Excel plot, that compares the gain each setup netted over it's OWN representative stock dyno (for my own use)...

If someone will host an image of it, we can post it. Disclaimer: it's NOT to be considered gospel (again, different circumstances, different cars), but I figure that the gains are fairly independent of conditions. IOW, while actual output varies greatly with conditions, the products should increase power by a relatively contant amount no matter what the conditions are. Again, NOT exactly, but probably close enough for comparative purposes...

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Man... Just look at it that way... look at the first graph, your max torque of 168lb appears at 4875RPM stock. with the magical CPE give you the same 168lb torqe at 2600RPM and increasing even higher from there... So what does that mean.... you getting more power and you getting it alot earlier. Just think about it what it will do for you during a daily drive when you most likly stay in 2000-3500RPM range... You basicly get the same power of a stock 6 doing 4800-6000RPM while only driving around 2000RPM-3500RPM, by the time the stock 6 shifts to next gear you still got another 3000RPM to accelrate!!!!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
ya, you should do that too!

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
But numbers are fun! Numbers don't lie! I like looking at numbers!

:nana:

Are you postal yet Crossbow? :p

By the way, I'm just joking around! :D

1 - 20 of 122 Posts