Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
They do it ALLLLLLLL the time.

"why would you add this modification unless you are racing"

it goes to abuse. the dealers who sell these parts, are mod friendly dealers and the exception not the rule. They are also who the car community supports as they understand and respect what we do. Not chastise and try to avoid taking care of what they are expected to do.
That's what I thought and it makes sense that a dealer could ask that question. Since this model is so new I will most likely wait and see what comes out for it. I would guess the dealers see more mods on the speeds than they do the non-speeds. I will be curious to see how much attention this car will get for mods.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
They do it ALLLLLLLL the time.

"why would you add this modification unless you are racing"

it goes to abuse. the dealers who sell these parts, are mod friendly dealers and the exception not the rule. They are also who the car community supports as they understand and respect what we do. Not chastise and try to avoid taking care of what they are expected to do.
Umm, that's called speculation and if you are familiar with the magnuson moss act it deals with this in very specific terms. The manufacturer can not base their claim on speculation which in your case is exactly that. The OEM must prove 100% that an aftermarket part caused the failure. BTW this goes beyond aftermarket performance parts. The same speculation can be said for aftermarket fluids, spark plugs, belts, hoses, etc. There is a lot of internet urban legend myths. Bottom line if you happen to have a main bearing spin and you kept up on your oil changes and had the proper amount of oil in the car it doesn't make a damn bit of difference if you added a high flow intake because you must have been racing.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/keeping-your-mods-warranty-intact.html

·
Registered
497 Posts
I had a mod on my first gen Mazda 6 with the intake. I forgot the name of the intake I had, but it was the one that had to run through the ECU to not get the CEL light to come on. I have took my car into my particular dealership multiple times, and with the vast amount of problems I had with that car (even though I loved it dearly), I never had once the dealership try to blame my problems on my intake.

Now mind you this is no first gen, and mind you this car has way more electrical nannies and other things going on than the first gen, but just like others have said you've been forewarned and just find a mod-friendly place. I believe my dealership is mod-friendly as they've seen many RX-8's and Speed 3's. I personally will wait and see how it goes with somebody else as I already took the risk of buying a first model year of a car, so I'll be a little more patient with my mods.

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
Umm, that's called speculation and if you are familiar with the magnuson moss act it deals with this in very specific terms. The manufacturer can not base their claim on speculation which in your case is exactly that. The OEM must prove 100% that an aftermarket part caused the failure. BTW this goes beyond aftermarket performance parts. The same speculation can be said for aftermarket fluids, spark plugs, belts, hoses, etc. There is a lot of internet urban legend myths. Bottom line if you happen to have a main bearing spin and you kept up on your oil changes and had the proper amount of oil in the car it doesn't make a damn bit of difference if you added a high flow intake because you must have been racing.

Keeping Your Mod's Warranty Intact - For Dummies
in a perfect world you are correct, but thing comes down to you are w/o a car currently and well you can spend 5k on fighting the dealer to fix the car, how many months is it going to take and is that 5k really a loosing battle at that point?

It Is also hard to prove you haven't abused the car. Abuse is something that will void your warranty and having an intake or not. Driving through a road with too much water for instance or excessive speed(which is monitored by the ECU).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
in a perfect world you are correct, but thing comes down to you are w/o a car currently and well you can spend 5k on fighting the dealer to fix the car, how many months is it going to take and is that 5k really a loosing battle at that point?

It Is also hard to prove you haven't abused the car. Abuse is something that will void your warranty and having an intake or not. Driving through a road with too much water for instance or excessive speed(which is monitored by the ECU).
It has nothing do to with a perfect world. You can't base your case on speculation. Not only that but a dealer has no right to question you on parts that you put on your car. It's like a dealer asking you why you used aftermarket belts/hoses instead of OEM Mazda parts. Your also missing a very important fact. The onus is on Mazda not a dealer to prove that a part caused the failure (or abuse). It's like a dealer stating that you obviously don't care to spend money on service because you used cheap aftermarket belts/hoses instead of OEM Mazda parts. That is speculation not fact.

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
It has nothing do to with a perfect world. You can't base your case on speculation. Not only that but a dealer has no right to question you on parts that you put on your car. It's like a dealer asking you why you used aftermarket belts/hoses instead of OEM Mazda parts. Your also missing a very important fact. The onus is on Mazda not a dealer to prove that a part caused the failure (or abuse). It's like a dealer stating that you obviously don't care to spend money on service because you used cheap aftermarket belts/hoses instead of OEM Mazda parts. That is speculation not fact.
you can fight with them till you are blue in the face at a dealership, believe me I've been there. Your options are to battle this in court, or take it on the chin. This is why Mazda speed parts are so much more expensive as they are mazda branded and dealer installed so you don't have warranty drama.

You have to understand that dealerships do not want to do any warranty work at all. Warranty pays like the government pays doctors. They say what something is worth and how many hours it takes, regardless of what the real time turn around is. Any reason to have the customer shelling out for service at "trueish" time is money in the dealers pocket. If you really think that mazda is going to side with you the consumer vs a dealership when it comes to them spending money to service your engine... you need to look at the reality of the situation. Hell getting warranty to service EPA mandated stuff is a logical nightmare.

Fact vs speculation is how things are handled in court room. this is the service bay of your local dealership and you are already in a bind with the engine fubar, not a court room.

that same dealership also has the option to refuse service all together. I have been black listed from one local dealership for "embarrassing" their service manager and being rude. Luckily the guys 45mins from my house (not 5) know my car and myself and don't try to pull nonsense. They also had to fight with Mazda cooperate to "unblack list" my warranty way back when. It was more of a favor for them anyways, as they still call me every now and again when they can't figure something out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
you can fight with them till you are blue in the face at a dealership, believe me I've been there. Your options are to battle this in court, or take it on the chin. This is why Mazda speed parts are so much more expensive as they are mazda branded and dealer installed so you don't have warranty drama.

You have to understand that dealerships do not want to do any warranty work at all. Warranty pays like the government pays doctors. They say what something is worth and how many hours it takes, regardless of what the real time turn around is. Any reason to have the customer shelling out for service at "trueish" time is money in the dealers pocket. If you really think that mazda is going to side with you the consumer vs a dealership when it comes to them spending money to service your engine... you need to look at the reality of the situation. Hell getting warranty to service EPA mandated stuff is a logical nightmare.

Fact vs speculation is how things are handled in court room. this is the service bay of your local dealership and you are already in a bind with the engine fubar, not a court room.

that same dealership also has the option to refuse service all together. I have been black listed from one local dealership for "embarrassing" their service manager and being rude. Luckily the guys 45mins from my house (not 5) know my car and myself and don't try to pull nonsense. They also had to fight with Mazda cooperate to "unblack list" my warranty way back when. It was more of a favor for them anyways, as they still call me every now and again when they can't figure something out.
In the eyes of the law (magnuson moss warranty act) there is no difference between a MazdaSpeed intake and a brand x intake. They are both aftermarket parts. Now obviously I do not know your past problems with dealerships and what may or may not have been done do your car. The simple fact of the matter is that a service manager or dealership does not have the authority to void your warranty. That would go to the regional rep for Mazda. Warranty work is paid based on a estimated time it takes to perform the job. This same formula is used for non warranty work as well. Either way the dealership gets paid. Now keep in mind we are talking about simple bolt on mods here. All this hand wringing over an intake mod is nothing short of fear mongering IMO.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Okay, if that is the way you feel. I will just let it go. Ask the guys with aftermarket blow off valves in the MS section how successful leaving one of those on their car is and if anything those protect the engine more than the factory By-pass valve.
It's not how I feel or my opinion. There is orginzations like SEMA, that fight for your rights as a car enthusiast. Is there dealers out there that like to be a pain in the ass? Sure there is, however it's not like the Mazda dealer network is as sparce as Range Rover. The first thing that anyone should know though in confirmation with a dealer is their rights.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Any reports of CELs being thrown with the INJEN on the 2014 6? Sure they did their due diligence in R&D to make sure they minimized that.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.