Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Still waiting for the dyno plots to get sent over but the intake gave an improvement of +5.27Hp and +5.38Tq. While that may not seem like much. It has made a nice improvement especially in the mid range. In manual mode upshifts are quicker as are the rev matched downshifts. Gas mileage has seemed to improve as well. Injen has said this is the trickiest car they have had in R/D. The car wanted to run rich and it took quite a bit of time to bring it in line. I know that corksport is claiming a 10HP increase with their SRI. I would really like to see a dyno plot for that intake. So far I have not seen where anyone has posted one.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Here is the dyno on the CorkSport SRI. I find it odd that the gains of an SRI are almost double that of the Injen CAI. Has anyone bought and installed the CorkSport SRI yet? I was going to be one of the first to try it out but wanted to wait on the gains for the Injen CAI before I pulled the trigger.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

Here is the dyno on the CorkSport SRI. I find it odd that the gains of an SRI are almost double that of the Injen CAI. Has anyone bought and installed the CorkSport SRI yet? I was going to be one of the first to try it out but wanted to wait on the gains for the Injen CAI before I pulled the trigger.
I'm confused over the Corksport dyno plot.

My car in stock trim pulled 168 HP. It looks like the dyno plot they have posted is for a CX-5.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Are you getting a "ticking sound" at higher rpms? Corksport claims their intake does that, because of the injectors. How does it sound overall? I need to ask my dealership how picky they are, so I know if I can mod w/o having warranty issues IF I want to. This intake come with a splash shield?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Are you getting a "ticking sound" at higher rpms? Corksport claims their intake does that, because of the injectors. How does it sound overall? I need to ask my dealership how picky they are, so I know if I can mod w/o having warranty issues IF I want to. This intake come with a splash shield?
A dealer does not have the authority to void anyone's warranty. That call would have to be made by an area manager that is employed by Mazda. As for mods and your warranty read this.
Magnuson?Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, if a mod causes a failure then the manufacture (not dealer) has to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure. As for your question. Yes you ca hear a lot more sounds with the intake opened up. I will make a sound clip and post it up.

·
Registered
274 Posts
A dealer does not have the authority to void anyone's warranty. That call would have to be made by an area manager that is employed by Mazda. As for mods and your warranty read this.
Magnuson?Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, if a mod causes a failure then the manufacture (not dealer) has to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure. As for your question. Yes you ca hear a lot more sounds with the intake opened up. I will make a sound clip and post it up.
Yes this is what I understand as well. However if my engine were to blow up and I had an aftermarket intake on they could blame it right? Saying something like well it changed the A/F ratio of the car, the car leaned out detonation occurred and boom, your fault. Most new cars can learn and change A/F with little things like intakes and exhaust, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with the hassle. I've been there and done that and it can get risky. It seems like it's at there discretion. What I want to know is what lengths they will go to prove that it was/wasn't the part or will the manufacturer take this as an excuse not to try and warranty a product.

Looking forward to the sound clip thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
actually sounds decent... was prepared for it to sound semi-rice... but i like it.
It has a nice deep growl to it. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do on the exhaust side. I don't want that tangy rice sound at all. Thinking of going with a pair of magnaflow mufflers and a magnaflow resonator.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Sounds like an awesome sound man!

To the dude worried about blowing up his engine with an intake, relax. That would never happen never ever, and if by some miracle of a chamce you had engine problems take 5 mins to swap the original intake over. The dealership isn't known as a stealership for no reason so don't feel as that is f'n them over. It's just an intake dude not a turbo it will give you a little more power and some nice sound not blow up your engine. My car is 10 years old and my c
Ecu can still compensate for the extra air and just add a little more fuel to stay stoich (look it up if you don't know what it means).

An intake is about the smallest mod you can do to a car besides changing the stock filter with a k&n. Your engine will run just fine if not better with an intake, they didnt do months of r&d testing for nothing, they did their homework to make sure it is safe and will make the engine run properly.

It's not like throwing on a 5" intake on a Honda for "moar powawhz yo" and then wonder why your engine blows because its been running lean for a year.

You've got nothing to worry about I assure you, us first genners have even been running intakes for 10 years as well as headers, exhaust, larger throttle bodies, bigger intake manifolds and poerted spacers as well as much more all on the stock tune and the car runs amazingly, like the car should have came from the factory. Granted I'm in the process of hooking up a powermod tuner to gain more power and smooth out my curves and a/f ratios, but that's just because I want more power. My car will have run just fine on the stock tune for months or even years, I just want to optimize everything and richen my car up because more fuel=more power (basic math without explaining timing, ignition, etc). /RANT

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: Blackzilla

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

To the dude worried about blowing up his engine with an intake, relax. That would never happen never ever, and if by some miracle of a chamce you had engine problems take 5 mins to swap the original intake over. The dealership isn't known as a stealership for no reason so don't feel as that is f'n them over. It's just an intake dude not a turbo it will give you a little more power and some nice sound not blow up your engine. My car is 10 years old and my c
Ecu can still compensate for the extra air and just add a little more fuel to stay stoich (look it up if you don't know what it means).

An intake is about the smallest mod you can do to a car besides changing the stock filter with a k&n. Your engine will run just fine if not better with an intake, they didnt do months of r&d testing for nothing, they did their homework to make sure it is safe and will make the engine run properly.

It's not like throwing on a 5" intake on a Honda for "moar powawhz yo" and then wonder why your engine blows because its been running lean for a year.

You've got nothing to worry about I assure you, us first genners have even been running intakes for 10 years as well as headers, exhaust, larger throttle bodies, bigger intake manifolds and poerted spacers as well as much more all on the stock tune and the car runs amazingly, like the car should have came from the factory. Granted I'm in the process of hooking up a powermod tuner to gain more power and smooth out my curves and a/f ratios, but that's just because I want more power. My car will have run just fine on the stock tune for months or even years, I just want to optimize everything and richen my car up because more fuel=more power (basic math without explaining timing, ignition, etc). /RANT

You have MSDS headers? Nice, Marty is a great guy and a straight up honest business man. I had no idea Marty was making stuff for Mazda. It's been awhile since I talked to him though.

·
Registered
364 Posts
same here dude... after intake i'm feeling exhaust... but all i see is magnaflow... i come from s2000 forums and wrx forums where there's like tens of thousands of exhaust choices to choose from... or it may just be me as a first time mazda owner and a new gen owner

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
same here dude... after intake i'm feeling exhaust... but all i see is magnaflow... i come from s2000 forums and wrx forums where there's like tens of thousands of exhaust choices to choose from... or it may just be me as a first time mazda owner and a new gen owner
I have taken a quick look under the car and it looks like Mazda has done a good job with the exhaust minus the muffler.

·
Registered
274 Posts

I have done plenty of mods, so I know that an intake is a minor mod and not something that would need tuning like putting on a turbo. That is not my concern. My concern is having to take off my mod(s) to hide them from a dealership each time it would need servicing. I don't care if it's a "stealership" or not, I won't do that. I would rather just be fine with keeping them on knowing that a dealership won't care and try to blame a problem on it. Either way it sounds like a risk to an extent. The more you mod the more possible issues you might run into depending on the mods. Also while adding an intake won't kill your car it will still lean it out some. Since you have added more airflow but kept the fuel constant. In the end you pay to play. I might end up getting a few things, but it's a little difficult to justify 5-6hp for what $200+.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The car just came out and there are only a handful on the road. There will be more in due time.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have done plenty of mods, so I know that an intake is a minor mod and not something that would need tuning like putting on a turbo. That is not my concern. My concern is having to take off my mod(s) to hide them from a dealership each time it would need servicing. I don't care if it's a "stealership" or not, I won't do that. I would rather just be fine with keeping them on knowing that a dealership won't care and try to blame a problem on it. Either way it sounds like a risk to an extent. The more you mod the more possible issues you might run into depending on the mods. Also while adding an intake won't kill your car it will still lean it out some. Since you have added more airflow but kept the fuel constant. In the end you pay to play. I might end up getting a few things, but it's a little difficult to justify 5-6hp for what $200+.
I can't see Mazda voiding a warranty with a minor bolt on, which an intake is. Some dealerships even sell them.

About $20-30 per HP is a great deal on bolt on mods. You won't get that kind of ratio with a cat back.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can't see Mazda voiding a warranty with a minor bolt on, which an intake is. Some dealerships even sell them.

About $20-30 per HP is a great deal on bolt on mods. You won't get that kind of ratio with a cat back.
Also it's not like we are dealing with a dealership that has a mindset like a Lincoln dealership that has probably never seen a modded car come across their service bay. I think most of not all Mazda dealerships have seen a heavily modified Speed3 or Miata on the regular.

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
Yes this is what I understand as well. However if my engine were to blow up and I had an aftermarket intake on they could blame it right? Saying something like well it changed the A/F ratio of the car, the car leaned out detonation occurred and boom, your fault. Most new cars can learn and change A/F with little things like intakes and exhaust, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with the hassle. I've been there and done that and it can get risky. It seems like it's at there discretion. What I want to know is what lengths they will go to prove that it was/wasn't the part or will the manufacturer take this as an excuse not to try and warranty a product.

Looking forward to the sound clip thanks!
A/F is regulated at the MAFS. the MAFS has not changed and so long as the pipe is the Same ID as the factory MAFS housing, there is no net change in metered/unmetered air. the delievery of the air is a little quicker due to reduced obstructions, but this air is still metered and not something that will throw off the A/F.

Yes they can most certainly use this part as something void your warranty. Yes you can argue the magnason-Moss law and I have personally done it. It gets length and how much time can you afford to battle IF there is an issue? The best thing to do is get with locals and find out who if any dealers are "mod friendly".

The hardest part to battle is, if you added this mod to your car, why would you do that unless you are driving it "hard" and "outside the norm from a passenger vehicle that caused the actual engine failure". Hell I had vinyl on my car and they gave me all kinds of hell about my warranty being valid at one dealer.

Personally, Find the "mod friendly dealer" or be willing to swap the intake back to stock before service. I can do an intake in just about any car in less than 30 mins with nothing more than a screw driver set.... but it is all in what you are willing to handle.

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts

They do it ALLLLLLLL the time.

"why would you add this modification unless you are racing"

it goes to abuse. the dealers who sell these parts, are mod friendly dealers and the exception not the rule. They are also who the car community supports as they understand and respect what we do. Not chastise and try to avoid taking care of what they are expected to do.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts