Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts
Right? They quoted me $1400 for a replacement. I see there’s are available online for about $300 and install/swap doesn’t look too bad
Its easy to swap out, and they are all over eBay, they dont have to be from a 6 to work.

incase anyone is wanting to attempt to fix theirs on there own I managed to pull mine apart clean off the old glue and apply new loca glue, unfortunately I left a bubble or 2 in the center of the screen so not super happy with it but its certainly possible to do.

I also removed mine an removed al the silicone lamination an never bothered to put new lamination back… I can tell you that the touchscreen works even without it but the risk is getting condensation later on… in would be better to have this whole piece replaced. Also, you have to be very careful when disassembling because the two mayor disks is cutting the ribbon when pulling and/or breaking the digitizer when separating from the faceplate… also cleaning the silicone is a messy..
Sleeve Wood Gesture Finger Electric blue

Brown Rectangle Wood Tints and shades Font

I also removed mine an removed al the silicone lamination an never bothered to put new lamination back… I can tell you that the touchscreen works even without it but the risk is getting condensation later on… in would be better to have this whole piece replaced. Also, you have to be very careful when disassembling because the two mayor disks is cutting the ribbon when pulling and/or breaking the digitizer when separating from the faceplate… also cleaning the silicone is a messy..
Do you have a 2016? It seems information on the right digitizer for the GRT7-61-1J0C display is much harder than the Mazda3's. I just had mine start to delaminate a couple days ago and was hoping I could find a new front bezel with the digitizer already attached to replace rather than have to deal with removing the original, but it seems like most listed for the Mazda6 don't have the curved edges like mine does.

Glasses Mobile phone Communication Device Telephony Bumper

Do you have a 2016? It seems information on the right digitizer for the GRT7-61-1J0C display is much harder than the Mazda3's. I just had mine start to delaminate a couple days ago and was hoping I could find a new front bezel with the digitizer already attached to replace rather than have to deal with removing the original, but it seems like most listed for the Mazda6 don't have the curved edges like mine does.

View attachment 246066
That is failing for a reason i call "dont ever use anything ArmorAll makes on your car".

That is failing for a reason i call "dont ever use anything ArmorAll makes on your car".
Not the case here, I only ever use D101 as an APC inside and most of the time the screen is just dry wiped with a microfiber anyway. Car was parked in direct sunlight when it happened and the display was very hot. Everything you see is on the inside.

I'm probably just going to take it apart this weekend to confirm what style parts are required. I've seen both 36-pin and 50-pin units listed for the 6 and I think the 2016-2017 models use a different style than the later ones.

In the event it helps someone else out, I've confirmed my 2016 GT has a 36-pin digitizer exactly as shown in the photos in @MaDLoBO post. I didn't have much luck finding an aftermarket replacement with the digitizer already bonded to the lens, but I stumbled on a TSB (09-037/21) that lists part # GRY7-61-1JZ as a new lens replacement. I found an online parts dealer with that part listed for about $150 which I didn't think was too bad for a new OEM lens. I'll update once I receive it and confirm fitment, but it looks like it should be identical based on the photos in the TSB.

I am super interested in what you guys are doing if anyone has step by step pics just so that im not ripping at stuff in the dark but I’ve had the problem for years now and always thought it was unfixable unless I replace the entire radio

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive design

In the event it helps someone else out, I've confirmed my 2016 GT has a 36-pin digitizer exactly as shown in the photos in @MaDLoBO post. I didn't have much luck finding an aftermarket replacement with the digitizer already bonded to the lens, but I stumbled on a TSB (09-037/21) that lists part # GRY7-61-1JZ as a new lens replacement. I found an online parts dealer with that part listed for about $150 which I didn't think was too bad for a new OEM lens. I'll update once I receive it and confirm fitment, but it looks like it should be identical based on the photos in the TSB.
If you have a 36-pin digitizer part GRY7-61-1JZ will not work. The lens is correct, but the included digitizer is 50-pin, not 36. It seems like after the 2016 models they changed to a 50-pin configuration. Since I had no luck finding a ready made lens with a 36-pin digitizer attached I bit the bullet and picked up a damaged 2017 screen on ebay with a part number that aligns with the TSB and therefore hopefully has 50-pins. Merging the new lens repair kit and the damaged screen will hopefully get me back to fully functional.

How much does it cost?

Thanks
#UPDATE#
🚨
After searching all over ebay and AliExpress for a screen replacement, I went to my Mazda Dealer and show them the offical recall for the screen spider web defect present on my Mazda 6 2016 GT Plus screen, at first they said it doesn't apply because the VIN was not listed on their recall Database, but as the recall does not require a specific VIN, they do all the process of asking Mazda for the status, they took pictures of the defect present on my screen and send the copy of the recall sheet to them, after 10 days, the dealer call me to let me know that the screen will be replaced at no cost to me, they didn't repair the screen, but replace the whole unit for a NEW ONE, that was AWESOME, with the money I saved from this, I bought the official carplay/android auto for my car, so I'm very happy with Mazda for this. My car had a much needed refresh for the infotainment system and with the new screen looks AWESOME! BTW this was at Mazda at Mexico City, GREAT SERVICE!!

I'm attaching the recall paper for the US and it should be valid on other countries as Mexico and Canada, with this one, the dealer can't refuse the screen replacement for the models/years listed, if they say no, I eager you to ask for direct contact to Mazda offices. Hope this can help you guys.

Attachments

Mazda recently made available repair kits to replace the screen on the 2016-2021 Mazda6, which should cost around ~$160 from any OEM Mazda parts seller.

Part numbers and detailed instructions how to replace the screen only, can be found in this SA:

Attachments

Well, now I’m a little pissed, because I’ve gone through all of these steps to replace this thing and the circuit board connector wire on the new lens doesn’t fit into the connector on my existing board, even though the site says it should fit my car… at a loss of what to do.

I’m thinking of installing without it connected just to see what’ll happen. If it simply means I can’t use it as a touchscreen, fine, as I never use it that way anyway. I basically use the dial for everything.
Passive circuit component Circuit component Rectangle Hardware programmer Computer hardware

Train Toy Railway Rolling stock Track

Hood Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Well, now I’m a little pissed, because I’ve gone through all of these steps to replace this thing and the circuit board connector wire on the new lens doesn’t fit into the connector on my existing board, even though the site says it should fit my car… at a loss of what to do.

I’m thinking of installing without it connected just to see what’ll happen. If it simply means I can’t use it as a touchscreen, fine, as I never use it that way anyway. I basically use the dial for everything.
View attachment 246713
View attachment 246712
View attachment 246711
Update: yeah it works just fine without connecting to the circuit board if you can live with no touchscreen capability. Again, no big loss since I rarely use it as a touchscreen and it locks out while the car is in motion anyway. I’ll take that hit if it means I can see my screen clearly again.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts