Mazda 6 Forums banner

Infotainment screen cracking

43K views 70 replies 38 participants last post by  jimmytown 
#1 ·
Hi everyone and thanks for a great forum.

See inserted picture, but the infotainment screen in my 2016 is cracking more and more from the lower left corner.
Does anyone else experience this phenomena?

If so, does anyone know what may cause this.
The screen is working as it should, at least for now.

Thanks again!

See less See more
#2 ·
Thats not cracking, thats delamination. I think ive seen someone complain about it before. Nothing you can do other than call Mazda or replace it.

#4 ·
Yes so this happens a good amount on the early models (14-16) with the infotainment screens. There’s a service alert for it which refers to that as “spider cracking”. Basically it is delamination between the touch screen and the backing. It may be covered under warranty so I would inspect your coverage and speak with a dealer about it. If not it is quite an expensive repair and the cracks don’t necessarily hinder the ability of the infotainment up to a certain point so it’s really a personal choice as to whether to have it fixed or not.

#7 ·
Youre not allowed to sell on this site without following the Rules.

#19 ·
My biggest issue with them doing this to me was that they could not guarantee that if I sunk the couple thousand into a new screen, that the issue has been resolved.

The thought of dropping another 6k+ over my anticipated ownership of the car into a delamination issue with the screen gives me the heebie jeebies.

#21 ·
Its easy to swap out, and they are all over eBay, they dont have to be from a 6 to work.

#27 ·
I also removed mine an removed al the silicone lamination an never bothered to put new lamination back… I can tell you that the touchscreen works even without it but the risk is getting condensation later on… in would be better to have this whole piece replaced. Also, you have to be very careful when disassembling because the two mayor disks is cutting the ribbon when pulling and/or breaking the digitizer when separating from the faceplate… also cleaning the silicone is a messy..
Sleeve Wood Gesture Finger Electric blue

Brown Rectangle Wood Tints and shades Font

#28 ·
I also removed mine an removed al the silicone lamination an never bothered to put new lamination back… I can tell you that the touchscreen works even without it but the risk is getting condensation later on… in would be better to have this whole piece replaced. Also, you have to be very careful when disassembling because the two mayor disks is cutting the ribbon when pulling and/or breaking the digitizer when separating from the faceplate… also cleaning the silicone is a messy..
Do you have a 2016? It seems information on the right digitizer for the GRT7-61-1J0C display is much harder than the Mazda3's. I just had mine start to delaminate a couple days ago and was hoping I could find a new front bezel with the digitizer already attached to replace rather than have to deal with removing the original, but it seems like most listed for the Mazda6 don't have the curved edges like mine does.

Glasses Mobile phone Communication Device Telephony Bumper

#31 ·
In the event it helps someone else out, I've confirmed my 2016 GT has a 36-pin digitizer exactly as shown in the photos in @MaDLoBO post. I didn't have much luck finding an aftermarket replacement with the digitizer already bonded to the lens, but I stumbled on a TSB (09-037/21) that lists part # GRY7-61-1JZ as a new lens replacement. I found an online parts dealer with that part listed for about $150 which I didn't think was too bad for a new OEM lens. I'll update once I receive it and confirm fitment, but it looks like it should be identical based on the photos in the TSB.

#33 ·
If you have a 36-pin digitizer part GRY7-61-1JZ will not work. The lens is correct, but the included digitizer is 50-pin, not 36. It seems like after the 2016 models they changed to a 50-pin configuration. Since I had no luck finding a ready made lens with a 36-pin digitizer attached I bit the bullet and picked up a damaged 2017 screen on ebay with a part number that aligns with the TSB and therefore hopefully has 50-pins. Merging the new lens repair kit and the damaged screen will hopefully get me back to fully functional.

#39 ·
Well, now I’m a little pissed, because I’ve gone through all of these steps to replace this thing and the circuit board connector wire on the new lens doesn’t fit into the connector on my existing board, even though the site says it should fit my car… at a loss of what to do.

I’m thinking of installing without it connected just to see what’ll happen. If it simply means I can’t use it as a touchscreen, fine, as I never use it that way anyway. I basically use the dial for everything.
Passive circuit component Circuit component Rectangle Hardware programmer Computer hardware

Train Toy Railway Rolling stock Track

Hood Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

#49 · (Edited)
I have a 2016 Mazda 6, recently purchased in June, has some delamination ("surface peeling" as described in SA-041/22) showing at the time I bought it. Looking to get it fixed for Thanksgiving road trip.

At first dealer said there was a kit for it that was relatively cheap, but just now they said "the model screen you have is incompatible with the screen kit available. Evidently there are 2 models for your vehicle and yours is the one without a kit option. The display will be substantially more expensive, coming in at about 1400 dollars." The part number they're quoting as necessary is GRT7-61-1J0C, which is about 1100 for the part and 140 for the labor.
(Edit: I think I found a place to get that part for 860 instead of 1100, but still, cheaper options would be nice.)

I asked about SA008/18 and they said it is not valid for my vehicle per the VIN. Also, bought the car used, no extended warranty on it, etc.

As for the other two bulletins/briefings attached in this thread, they list VINs higher/lower than JM1GL, my VIN starts with JM1GJ. The dealer confirms the part currently in the car is the GML8-61-1J0 which doesn't seem to have a screen kit available.

Any ideas/suggestions?

#58 ·
Hi all, I have a 2015 Mazda 6 that is starting to spider - I’m looking at replacing just the screen and have been told that I need part number GRT7-61-1J0C which is very expensive……does anyone know if I could also use the following parts for just replacing the screen and not the whole unit; GML8-61-1J0, GML8-61-1J0A, GML8-61-1J0B, GRT7-61-1J0, GRT7-61-1J0A, GRT7-61-1J0B GML8-61-1J0, GML8-61-1J0A, GML8-61-1J0B, GRT7-61-1J0, GRT7-61-1J0A, GRT7-61-1J0B thanks in advance.

#71 ·
I have the same issue. I've been researching the digitizer for hours and the only thing I have really found out is that the 2016 Mazda 6 uses a 36 pin and newer years use the 50. At the end of the day, I don't really care if the touch screen works, I need to be able to see the screen and will be adding the Apple Car Play units. I'm going to order a compatible part number for the screen. It seems to be K40005A29F. Amazon cost is $27. I'll update if it is compatible.