Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Mazda 6 and believe I have the latest software version which is 70.00.335 EU N. I have a Sat Nav SD card and when it’s inserted the system constantly reboots and is unable to track where I am. Even without the SD card inserted the radio is very temperamental, I often can’t select a different favourite from the list of stations and switching on the rear window demister stops the DAB signal from working (yes, really!). Problems can’t be isolated to the SD card as I have them when it’s not inserted. Advice from infotainment.com is to change to Apple CarPlay as they said that basically the Mazda infotainment is ‘badly written’. The cheapest quote I’ve had for installation is £269 (most expensive was £350+VAT, so £420). As far as I’m concerned £269 is still a lot of money for a defect which I think Mazda should deal with, irrespective of the age of the car. Or alternatively, allow us end users to do the change ourselves. Why is this something that can only be done by a dealer?

·
Super Moderator
17,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about your issues. 2016 was a bit of a weird year, do you have the TomTom NB1 infotainment (integrated with dash) or the Mazda "popup" tablet-style one?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Two facts throw me off from a simple solution but I am going to post it anyway just in case.

When the contacts on the SD card get dirty over time the infotainment system reboots when it is very cold. But in this case, you indicate that it happens when the SD card is removed and it would be more likely to happen in the winter than the spring. The simple solution is to clean the contacts with alcohol.

Along those lines, I would disconnect all usb cords and take out the SD card and see if this helps. Next, I would consider the possibility of a short somewhere in the system but this would be a harder problem to diagnose.

By the way, did you make any changes to the system, have the dash apart or anything like that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two facts throw me off from a simple solution but I am going to post it anyway just in case.

When the contacts on the SD card get dirty over time the infotainment system reboots when it is very cold. But in this case, you indicate that it happens when the SD card is removed and it would be more likely to happen in the winter than the spring. The simple solution is to clean the contacts with alcohol.

Along those lines, I would disconnect all usb cords and take out the SD card and see if this helps. Next, I would consider the possibility of a short somewhere in the system but this would be a harder problem to diagnose.

By the way, did you make any changes to the system, have the dash apart or anything like that?
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about your issues. 2016 was a bit of a weird year, do you have the TomTom NB1 infotainment (integrated with dash) or the Mazda "popup" tablet-style one?
I think it’s a Mazda pop up tablet style but it’s still integrated with the dash

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it’s a Mazda pop up tablet style but it’s still integrated with the dash
I’ve made no changes. I’ve only had the car a couple of months so don’t know if it’s just a winter thing. Infotainment doesn’t work properly without the SD card which I’ve left permanently unattached.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I’ve made no changes. I’ve only had the car a couple of months so don’t know if it’s just a winter thing. Infotainment doesn’t work properly without the SD card which I’ve left permanently unattached.

·
Super Moderator
17,855 Posts
Hmmm. Does it look more like this:

Or this?

Regardless of how it's situated, the UIs are vastly different too, so one should look more familiar than the other :)

·
Super Moderator
17,855 Posts
First one so it’s a pop up :)
Unfortunately that means I'm of little help since I have the older (worse) model. @Radarwild knows a ton about your system so maybe they've got an idea.

·
Registered
2016 6
371 Posts
Ok so now that we know that, the newest software available is 70.00.367. This update has cleared out a ton of bugs that we've seen with the system. There is also a TSB out for certain SD cards that are 8gb and came out of china. There's another post I commented on with all the serial numbers.
Honestly the sd card issues were really random, we’ve still got cars out there with them and they don’t exhibit any issues at all. And then you get some that the second you put the cards in it starts messing with the system. When you go to the dealer have them check tsb 09-015/20. It’s the service bulletin that covers the sd card issues. Or you can double check your own sd card and you’ll know it’s the issue. If the small number on the backside of the sd ends in any of these 6 digits, it’s a corrupted SD card:
50424D
50428G
50631D
50632G
50635G
50877D
50881G
50913D
50955G
50995G

So like it says you could have a corrupted SD card. another thing you can do is perform a self test by holding the volume button down with the music and favorites button at the same time and this will bring you to a selection screen. scroll to the right until you find the cmu dtc retrieval/scan selection and select it. This will pop up any existing codes and can help us figure out what's wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts