Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having this car for two years, I began having an issue I believe with the touchscreen. Its like a ghost is touching my screen all the time It happens while driving and it starts clicking random things. I ran a diagnostic test by following the steps below:
So turn your car on.
On the commander (once the mazdaconnect loads) hold the music note, star, and mute/volume buttons down for a few seconds.
A test screen appears.
Turn the commander clockwise to put a 4 on the screen.
Press the commander knob down and release.
You should see a code list come up.
If your screen is failing you’ll have a code B108E:04 for center display internal failure, this indicates you need a new display screen.

I currently have the display failure notification. I am out of warranty. Due to it expiring in December 2019. The dealer told me they would charge me diagnostic fee to check it out. Theres a recall for this for Mazda3 2014-2016. What can I do?

·
Registered
8 Posts
After having this car for two years, I began having an issue I believe with the touchscreen. Its like a ghost is touching my screen all the time It happens while driving and it starts clicking random things. I ran a diagnostic test by following the steps below:
So turn your car on.
On the commander (once the mazdaconnect loads) hold the music note, star, and mute/volume buttons down for a few seconds.
A test screen appears.
If your screen is failing you’ll have a code B108E:04 for center display internal failure, this indicates you need a new display screen.

I currently have the display failure notification. I am out of warranty. Due to it expiring in December 2019. The dealer told me they would charge me diagnostic fee to check it out. Theres a recall for this for Mazda3 2014-2016. What can I do?
get this resolved? my daughters is doing the same thing haven't checked the diagnostic code yet

·
Registered
2016 6
515 Posts
So turn your car on.
A test screen appears.

The reason there is a recall for the Mazda3's and not the 6's is because the 3 had the new infotainment system first and the 6 used the older tomtom system up until 2016. The reason the dealer wants to diagnose it is to 100% confirm that it is that specific issue and not something else causing it to fail. If you already have updated the system to 70.00.367 and are still having these issues you're pretty much definitely gonna have to have the screen replaced or repaired. I'm not sure but i believe they started sending out actual repair kits for the screens but I may be wrong about that. If you don't want to pay for a diag you're best bet is just paying to have the screen replaced with a new one. The screen and the actual cmu are separate pieces so just make sure you just ask for the screen so you don't get jipped.

·
Registered
2016 6
515 Posts
even with hardware fault codes? the firmware updates are helping?
I can’t confirm but I have had multiple repair orders where the customer complaint is a touch screen jumping issue (ghost touch) and blank screen complaints or constant rebooting complaints and all those repairs need to start with the software update. Most of the time the software is multiple versions behind the newest and therefore I start with the update. It’s what mazda says to do on MGSS and it makes the most sense. I haven’t had any of those vehicles come back for the same issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
mine is confirmed as a hardware failure. dealership wants $1200 to replace, out of warranty since April despite me reporting problem in December. but they didn't have a hardware code at that point. they said my complaint then was phone disconnecting not ghost touching. We have appealed to mazda corporate. if this doesn't work, can i still disable the touchscreen by pulling the ribbon cable like was possible in the older mazdas?. currently in a 2017 cx-5 GT. if so, is it the same process?

·
Registered
2016 6
515 Posts
mine is confirmed as a hardware failure. dealership wants $1200 to replace, out of warranty since April despite me reporting problem in December. but they didn't have a hardware code at that point. they said my complaint then was phone disconnecting not ghost touching. We have appealed to mazda corporate. if this doesn't work, can i still disable the touchscreen by pulling the ribbon cable like was possible in the older mazdas?. currently in a 2017 cx-5 GT. if so, is it the same process?
I’m not quite sure as I believe the touchscreen and cmu are connected with the same connector so taking out one of the connectors may disable the entire system or make even more problems. Unfortunately the screen itself is ridiculously expensive at like $900 or something crazy but honestly a skilled tech can change one out in about half an hour. If you’re somewhat mechanically jnclined all you’d really need is a Phillips head screwdriver a 10mm socket on an extension and a ratchet. You can pop off a majority of the dashboard pieces quite easily.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm quite sure I can swap the screen. I took the whole unit out to install the carplay USB adapter and do that upgrade . it's not a big deal at all.

I know that in previous versions there was a digitizer ribbon cable and also a second cable for the lcd display. ~2014 Era you could simply remove the digitizer cable and disable the touch screen without all the random touch codes still being sent.

if have to take the unit out and see but was hoping someone had either done it this way or taken one out recently enough or had one on a workbench etc that could verify.

yes cheapest I can find the unit new is ~$750 from one of the online Mazda parts warehouses. average full retail is $1200.

·
Registered
2016 6
515 Posts
I'm quite sure I can swap the screen. I took the whole unit out to install the carplay USB adapter and do that upgrade . it's not a big deal at all.

I know that in previous versions there was a digitizer ribbon cable and also a second cable for the lcd display. ~2014 Era you could simply remove the digitizer cable and disable the touch screen without all the random touch codes still being sent.

if have to take the unit out and see but was hoping someone had either done it this way or taken one out recently enough or had one on a workbench etc that could verify.

yes cheapest I can find the unit new is ~$750 from one of the online Mazda parts warehouses. average full retail is $1200.

Yea you can definitely just change the screen without changing the cmu. i think it's only held on by 2 or 4 small screw/bolts. I just double checked with my foreman and the mazda sites wiring diagram and I was correct in saying you cannot just unplug the touch ability. They are all run through a common connector.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So turn your car on.
A test screen appears.

SSPB6 is the code for the extended warranty for the Mazda.
On certain 2014-2016 Mazda3 vehicles, the Mazda Connect touch screen in the center display may not accept touch commands properly or may operate by itself (ghost touch).
The ITO (Indium Tin Oxide) film of touch screen may be corroded due to moisture, which may adhere on the lens of touch screen during the cleaning process at the plant. The corrosion may allow the electrostatic capacity to vary without any input, causing the malfunction of touch screen. It is covered and you should not have to pay for this. Go to your dealer as I just did today and they are fixing the problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On certain 2014-2016 Mazda3 vehicles, the Mazda Connect touch screen in the center display may not accept touch commands properly or may operate by itself (ghost touch).
The ITO (Indium Tin Oxide) film of touch screen may be corroded due to moisture, which may adhere on the lens of touch screen during the cleaning process at the plant. The corrosion may allow the electrostatic capacity to vary without any input, causing the malfunction of touch screen. It is covered and you should not have to pay for this. Go to your dealer as I just did today and they are fixing the problem.
I will go to my dealership and see what they can do for me. Because they had told me how I am out of warrenty. thank you

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thank you for sharing

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can’t confirm but I have had multiple repair orders where the customer complaint is a touch screen jumping issue (ghost touch) and blank screen complaints or constant rebooting complaints and all those repairs need to start with the software update. Most of the time the software is multiple versions behind the newest and therefore I start with the update. It’s what mazda says to do on MGSS and it makes the most sense. I haven’t had any of those vehicles come back for the same issues.
My software update seemed to work for about a week then the stations started jumping again and right before i take it in today actually the ghost touches went crazy but when I took out my phone to record them they stopped for the entire time I was waiting to deposit a check at the bank.

·
Registered
2016 6
515 Posts
My software update seemed to work for about a week then the stations started jumping again and right before i take it in today actually the ghost touches went crazy but when I took out my phone to record them they stopped for the entire time I was waiting to deposit a check at the bank.
Do you have a nav sd card installed? There was a bad batch of sd cards at some pint that were causing issues.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts