Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since i see that there are some people building turbo kits, i'd figure that since i have extensive knowledge in turbo kits, and i have friends that build kits for other cars, i'd jump in the flow of traffic and start my own kit. but yea, i posted a long ass post in COPPER6's thread about his remote mount, and decided to start my own thread. so neway, my friends used to own a shop out in florida called SS motorsports where they built custom turbo kits for all cars, and even exotics. they have then moved to chicago, and have not yet opened up a shop, but are hoping to find a prime location for it. and i asked them if we could build one for the 6, and they agreed. so we have been researching the 6 on the forums, taking ideas, examining the car, and are mapping stuff out. unlike the remote mount kits which i believe are problematic, i will be creating a traditional mounted system. we are still trying to find room to place the turbo but do have some great ideas of where its gonna go. we do know it will be a turbonetics t3/t4, or the new GTK series turbo, which will be released soon. Blow off valve will be from Tial, as well as the External wastegate. Those are for sure, everything else is being figured out. We willl get you updated when we have started building it, and if all goes well, the kit will be duplicated and produced in mass quantities. so look out for us in the future, because this IS a SERIOUS BUILD! not some bullcrap phony that's gonna go around, get peeps hyped up, and then blow over, like some have said. we are looking at the competition, such as Atom, and can't wait to see there kit. Can't wait to see copper6's kit as well, if it ever comes out, or is produced. please ask any questions, and i will answer any that i can with as much accuracy as possible to what we have on the drawing board, or email me at [email protected].

p.s. this is my third post, but don't think of me as a newbie to the boards or knowledge. i have been looking at these boards for 2 years for info and such when i started out with the 6, and my turbo kit fabricating knowledge is fairly extensive.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Let me be the first..... :bsflag: :liar: :deadhorse: .....not that i think any of this...but im sure there are some who will. I just wanted to take a little away from their fun...

In regards to the Turbo. The best of luck to you. Watch out for high production costs, cause this community is known for being...thrifty, at best. All show, no go....I hope it all works out. Looking forward to seeing progress.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i agree, the tuning seems like a pain in the ass for this car as i have read. how about the standalone offered by NSN motorsports. what do you guys think about that? if i purchase that, and use it for tuning, will it work? what i'm basically asking is, does anyone know if that standalone really works correctly with our car, and will it be good for forced induction tuning. if it can control all the things we need for tuning the car while a turbo kit is on, then tuning shouldn't be a problem, as in our group we do have a tuner that can correctly tune an ems. i'm just wondering if that ems is up to par with what we need to tune our vehicle. anyone go input?

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
yea i agree, the tuning seems like a pain in the ass for this car as i have read. how about the standalone offered by NSN motorsports. what do you guys think about that? if i purchase that, and use it for tuning, will it work? what i'm basically asking is, does anyone know if that standalone really works correctly with our car, and will it be good for forced induction tuning. if it can control all the things we need for tuning the car while a turbo kit is on, then tuning shouldn't be a problem, as in our group we do have a tuner that can correctly tune an ems. i'm just wondering if that ems is up to par with what we need to tune our vehicle. anyone go input?
[/b]
You cannot buy the NSN tuner yet because it doesn't exist yet. That is Adam's key to his project is getting the tuner working. When it is released, yes, it will work perfectly on the car

·
Registered
476 Posts
what about unichip?

·
Registered
476 Posts
+1 for unichip. The msprotege guys seem to like unichip.
[/b]
I priced them, like 700.00+ retail and 570.00 if you sell them/employee discount (used to work at an autoparts store before I went back to school.)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if unichip were to be tuned by a certified unichip dealer, do you think it would be a good solution for a turbo mazda 6, and have necessary options needed, such as timing and fuel adjustments? does anyone have experience with it?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I dont know much about it, but I just read up a few things... And it seems like alot of money for a chip that only lets you chose between 2 maps. I could be wrong, it might let you change more, but the site I saw only mentioend 2 maps.

I think most people rather have something that was dynamic. It would be great it someone just came out with the software, cuz face it computers are cheap...

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I dont know much about it, but I just read up a few things... And it seems like alot of money for a chip that only lets you chose between 2 maps. I could be wrong, it might let you change more, but the site I saw only mentioend 2 maps.

I think most people rather have something that was dynamic. It would be great it someone just came out with the software, cuz face it computers are cheap...
[/b]

Correct. The Unichip only allows between 2 maps for the basic chip. The Microtech wich is less than a month away is the key. This thing will run the car. Once I get mine in and hook it up, the car will then get the turbo on it. From there I am hoping only posotives.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
does anyone know where to get forged pistons and rods for the 3.0l as well as the clevite trimetal 77 bearings. i'm just curious

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
cosworth will make you anything, i promise, just open your wallet. you might be better off finding them through the contour forums.

I would highly recommend Unichip if you can get it. those that like to play with the tune should go with microtech, that's a given. but there are a good 12 turbo'd 3's i chat with, and 1 guy has even been confident enough for me to walk him through cold start settings in there, other than that, only 1 person plays with it.

how many owners will need to get in there and play with timing at 4750 rpm at 80% load.....? sure it's great if you know what you are doing, but if Unichip can put a tune in there for safe driving around town on 91octane (93, whatever) and a tune in there for aggressive driving on 100octane for the track....what else would you need? if you get other upgrades, unless you are a dyno tuner yourself, you'd need to go to a dyno to get the most out of it, tuning at home just isn't succicient.

all i'm saying is if Unichip can offer a rough out of the box tune for $700 to the public, and when you have a chance to find a local dealer to do a custom tune on your car for say $300 or so, you are still cheaper than a full standalone if you don't plan on tuning the thing yourself.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I am sick of everyone always crying about how they can't ever tune anything while never actually looking to solve the problem. I was going to wait to get a stand alone installed before presenting the idea to the forum, but now that i'll be short on cash until next summer, i've simply had enough.

If anyone lives in Florida, who is willing, I know a guy who is more than willing to install and tune a Megasquirt Stand-alone ECU.

www.powersquirt.com

He has installed MANY MANY of these ECUs and is a veteran of MX6.com. If you want proof of his quality, look at some of his posts. His SN is RADAR.

Examples of installations are everything from DD MX-3s and MX-6s to turboed race DeLoreans and dual ECU 3-Rotor RX-7s.

I personally spoke to him about installation on the 6s and he told ME that we was familiar with our engine and the 36-1 gear and it would be a simple installation.

This is from his profile:

94 MX6-ZEt, 92 MX3 ZE, 94 MX6 LS, 96 PGT ZE, 96 PGT w/ every bolton, 93 PGT, 93 PGTZE, 95 PGT ZE, Celica GTS 4agtze 20v, 95 PGT, 97 PGT ZE, 97 MX6 KLZE, 97 PGT w/ botlons, Mazguy's 94 Built MX-6 Turbo, 97 Mustang V6 EDIS, Delorean with a T70 Turbo, and a 87' Built 1.8t VW Golf (25psi)...the list goes on...
In the works: LS1/180SX, SRT4, FS Turbo, another turbo delorean, and a dual MS 20B TT rotary
[/b]

So if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea the website doesn't really help much. lol. but anyway, hopefully he can help us on our car, but its not if he's familiar with our engine, if he's familiar with our ecu, which not many companies are. i mean, our engine is in the contour as well, and they have tuning, yet we don't. get what i'm saying?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I'm glad to see that everyone has stopped complaining finally. I do have some good news, on October 7th i will be meeting with him to discuss things and for him to inspect and familiarize himself with my 6S. I will create a new post with the results at that time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
10 Participants
chitown666
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing