Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the bose system and after looking around here, I know the speakers are 2ohm. I looked around and found the Infinity Kappas come in 2 ohms, so I decided on them. For the front im getting the Infinity Kappa 652.7i and for the rear the Infinity Kappa 52.7i. Anyone have these speakers? If so can you give me some info on how the install went? like did they fit without any modifications and how do they sound over the stock? And those are the right size for the bose system right?

I dont plan on changing out anything else, just hoping the speakers will give better sound over the crap stock bose ones.

Thanks,

-Kris

·
Registered
12 Posts
As far as impedance goes, you'll be fine. You can't hurt a 2-ohm amp with 2-ohm speakers, obviously.

I replaced the front speakers with Polk DB6500's and the rears with DB525's (the 5-door has 6 1/2's in the front and 5 1/4's in the rear). They're 4-ohm speakers, but then again, you can't hurt a 2-ohm amp with 4-ohm speakers either (only the opposite would be true).

I haven't replaced the amp yet, hopefully this week. But here is what I can tell you: ANY decent set of speakers sounds better than that garbage that's in your door now. Just changing the door speakers made music sound like I wasn't listening to it underwater with tin foil stuffed in my ear canals. HOWEVER, because of the amp's built-in EQ curve, you're going to get some resonant distortion at certain frequency levels (especially lower midrange), even at only moderate volume levels. This will very quickly make you want to replace the Blose (sic) amp as well.

Do not despair! Replacing the amp may not be as expensive as many have made it out to be! Autosound shops will feed you with nightmares of having to gut all the audio wiring and start from scratch, and 4-figure parts and labor quotes, but it doesn't have to be that way. When I finish my install, if it all works well, I'll post what I did, and you'll find it to be a very inexpensive solution, and you won't even need to remove the dash. Cross yer fingers that it all works!

·
Registered
418 Posts
ya replacint a 2 ohm speaker with a 2 ohm speaker just means that its gonna recieve the same wattage as the old one... i dunno what the bose system outputs but im sure the infinty can take it... so do it with no worrie... like was said... if u go lower then u cause problems because say with a 1 ohm speaker youd be tryint o pull double what the amp normally outputs and that would lead to overheating and distortion

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
So what would be the best bet if you wanted to replace all 4 speakers in the 5dr, but didnt want to replace the bose amp. Anything would sound better than what I have now, but I dont want the distortion that kvnboom was talking about. Also are they any aftermarket tweeters that fit in the stock location?

·
Registered
12 Posts
So what would be the best bet if you wanted to replace all 4 speakers in the 5dr, but didnt want to replace the bose amp. Anything would sound better than what I have now, but I dont want the distortion that kvnboom was talking about. Also are they any aftermarket tweeters that fit in the stock location?
[/b]
Best thing to do is go to some shops and listen to different speakers and go with what you feel sounds best in your price range. You want component sets up front, to keep the tweeter ear-level. I had mine installed at Circuit City where I bought them, and you can't even tell from looking that there's an aftermarket tweeter there.

As far as the amp goes, sooner or later you're going to want to get rid of it. The amp is tuned specifically for the factory speakers (and vice versa), so it doesn't give the flat response like an aftermarket amp. Replacing the speakers WILL sound a lot better regardless, but you're going to want more, trust me. But definitely get rid of the speakers for now. That's a very, very good start. Personally, I'd recommend getting 4-ohm speakers put in now, so when you do replace the amp, it'll be less of a hassle if you forget to buy a 2-ohm stable amp.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yea thats definately some good advice.... buy 4ohm speakers because if down the line u want to replace the amp it will be a whole lot easier to find an amp that u want. Dont think 4 channel 2ohm amps are too popular.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Any amp that you would want to buy that is 4 ohm stable and bridgeable would also be 2 ohm stable. Only the very cheapest of garbage amplifiers can't run a 2 ohm load. Get the 2 ohm speakers, and then you will make the most out of the power available from any amplifier.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
My front passenger-side Bose speaker is now farting as the bass hits which means for sure that its a wrap for that speaker. The system is pretty muddy and i'm not one to listen to it with the bass turned up high. I am considering speakers, any suggestions? I think I may follow this same line of thought with 2ohm speakers. I listen to a decent amount of bassy music but I also like it to be clear, any ideas?

Thanks in advance guys.

I'm thinking Boston Acoustics so far.

·
Registered
449 Posts
OK so whats the best (and by best I mean cheapest) place to buy infinity stuff. I used to use a place called smilephotovideo out of NYC that had insanely cheap prices but I think they're out of business now. I know of carmedia1.com but they have last years models shown which makes me nervous. Anyone?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Any amp that you would want to buy that is 4 ohm stable and bridgeable would also be 2 ohm stable. Only the very cheapest of garbage amplifiers can't run a 2 ohm load. Get the 2 ohm speakers, and then you will make the most out of the power available from any amplifier.
[/b]
This is true but then u can only power 2 2 ohm speakers unless u find an 8 channel 4 ohm bridgeable amp (dont exist i dont think). And you wont be getting any more power..... 4 4ohm speaks will draw the same power as 2 2ohm speaks bridged (total power from the amp that is).

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
This is true but then u can only power 2 2 ohm speakers unless u find an 8 channel 4 ohm bridgeable amp (dont exist i dont think). And you wont be getting any more power..... 4 4ohm speaks will draw the same power as 2 2ohm speaks bridged (total power from the amp that is).
[/b]
Dude,

I don't mean to be harsh, but you've got no idea what you are talking about. 99.9% of class AB amplifiers are 2 ohm stable in stereo mode. If you buy a 4 channel amp, and run it unbridged with a two ohm load to each channel, there will be NO problems.

Bridging an amplifier reduces the impedance that it can handle, so if you run 2 ohm speakers on a pair of bridged channels, you're going to blow that amplifier, that or you're going to be in protection mode A LOT.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Dude,

I don't mean to be harsh, but you've got no idea what you are talking about. 99.9% of class AB amplifiers are 2 ohm stable in stereo mode. If you buy a 4 channel amp, and run it unbridged with a two ohm load to each channel, there will be NO problems.

Bridging an amplifier reduces the impedance that it can handle, so if you run 2 ohm speakers on a pair of bridged channels, you're going to blow that amplifier, that or you're going to be in protection mode A LOT.
[/b]
word... +1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
9 Participants
t_mo_t
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing