Mazda 6 Forums banner

Increasing Reliability of AutoTransmission

5K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  WoodinvilleDan 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
Don’t see anything on this topic so figured I’d start one. For any of you who drive a lot, drive hard or auto cross figured it would be good to collect a best practice of increasing reliability.

In my previous Acura TL switching trans fluid to a mixture of Redline Type F & type D made a big difference. Wondering if anyone has done a similar fluid change and/or added a transmission cooler.

#2 ·
In my previous Acura TL switching trans fluid to a mixture of Redline Type F & type D made a big difference. Wondering if anyone has done a similar fluid change and/or added a transmission cooler.

Kindly explain what is the "big difference". I've read somewhere about adding a transmission cooler but I didn't get any comparable data that says it made a lot of improvement.

#7 ·
Thought I'd chime in here, I've dropped pan/replaced filter, and refilled two different Skyactiv transmissions (with below fluids) and in both cases the shifts felt quicker & smoother, plus the temps do seem even better.

You can use Dexron VI full synthetic (low viscosity) + Lubegard Platinum (1 oz per qaurt of transmission fluid) - this meets/exceeds Mazda FZ specification

#8 ·
I totally agree with your philosophy of dropping the ATF / replacing filter. For me, though, because I don't know what makes the Mazda ATF "special" and would have no way of testing it to determine the answer - I personally would err on the side of using the Mazda-supplied ATF (albeit, with the attendant extra costs). I certainly can't argue with your results, though, of the Dexron VI full synthetic (low viscosity) + Lubegard Platinum (1 oz per quart of ATF).

I might add that it is moot, in my case, as I have a 6MT transmission.

#14 ·
Remember that also the supercharger will take labour, either your own labour, or Others'. Having said that, Woodinville Dan did a very nice job on his car with the supercharger... but from the perspective of putting $$ into a six year old car, i.e. your car, you need to be cognizant of that too.

#15 ·
The labor part I don't mind as I've put dozens of hours into it in the last 4-5 months already and love learning about this car. The transmission is the one thing I'm a bit nervous to touch, although I'm probably just overthinking it.

My plan was to finish up the work I've got parts for already, and then source a used engine or cylinder head and start to learn by stripping it down and attempting to build one. I know it's likely a stupid venture and waste of money, but I've always wanted to be able to comfortably and confidently pull a motor and work on it myself.

I'm not kidding myself though and know my efforts won't match those of Dan and some of the other people on here. But I can try!

#16 · (Edited)
The engine, unless it develops a cylinder head crack... and said cracks are pretty rare - could be a 200,000 - 300,000 mile life expectancy type unit. If I were in your shoes I'd not be so much be concerned with the engine as with the automatic transaxle. $4,000 to $5,000 to re&re? Now, my point is that despite the currently very buoyant used car prices, if someone does damage to your car- or if you do, it'd become a write-off pretty readily. I personally believe that Mazda collision repairs are very expensive (for Skyactiv series cars) because so many things crumple... (I don't have real data to back this up... it's just my belief, based on sheet metal gauge and the very safe collision protection ratings the cars get). Point is they easily become write-offs. My point, here, is that maybe if you want to modify a car a whole lot, do it on a relatively new car? Or do upgrade to a Turbo?

Others, your opinions?

#18 ·
I should have clarified on the engine rebuilding comments I made, my apologies. I have been thinking about it as something to do on the side, while my original engine is still in the car. A local parts picker has had cylinder heads or short blocks for $300 in the past so in my mind it'd be worth the $300 to be able to learn more about it without doing anything to my car.

For example, I had looked into a throttlebody spacer awhile back after reading about them but none are available. I decided I'd keep an eye out for a cheap used throttlebody but it was not of any importance. A few nights ago, one popped on ebay for $30. I figured it's only $30, and I've never touched the one on my car, so might as well buy it, take it apart, and get some hands on experience to help me learn more. So yesterday it shows up and tonight I spend some time cleaning it and will likely disassemble it at some point. Will it get put back together and end up on my car at some point? Doubtful. But I'll have gained a little bit more understanding about my car and cars in general.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.