Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gas prices just hit past the $3.00 mark in san diego, so..

do u guys have any suggestions of increasing MPG in the 6s?

I just switched to full sythetic and been shifting at around 3K when i drive, and been driving speed limit.. and I swear that this is helping..

the things i modded are listed below.. thanx for any suggestions..

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
you can remove your spare and jacks and stuff if you want, that'll lose a few lbs, you can go on a diet,

you can buy lightweight wheels and tires
you can buy a cf hood.....

it all helps lol

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I will be watching this thread. I get 20mpg city/highway if I am lucky.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Make sure air filter element is clean.
Drive as much as possible where engine warms up, combining trips is good
Avoid peak traffic periods if possible
Avoid stopping and starting as much as possible.
Run fuel system cleaner through (Techron is the easiest available)
Remove excess baggage from car.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Dont use fuel with ethanol.

Drive in the gear that will let the rpms stay below 2K if its an mtx.

I get 19/20 all city though. 27-28 highway on long all highway trips. V6 mtx.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Agreed, if you can avoid that E10 shit, you'll do better.

I'm all for E85 as an alternative fuel, but Congress should be diva slapped for legislating E10.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
yeah, I averaged 16 on that crap... When a 400HP corvette gets better gas milage then me, i get anoyed.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Not too sure about the acetone, but all the previous suggestions help tremendously. It's your driving style that has the highest impact on your fuel consumption. Accelerate less rapidly, avoid excessive speed, coast when able, and you'll notice a tremendous difference right away.

You'll also notice how impatient people get when you slow them down. So obviously use this strategy only to an extent. Some drivers are very eager to get to that next red light, and that makes them drive like clowns.

·
Registered
456 Posts
hmm....i htink im gonna try putting some acetone in the tank, i'll be the test rat, when gas is 3.30 in ny for regular i will try anything and evertying,

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
No need to try acetone in the tank, it's already been proven it doesn't do anything and sometimes hampers gas mileage.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultima...t=004446#000000

Do a search on it and you either find, less MPG or no change, didn't see a single one that noted any improvement.

Though alot of the guys on there swear by Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant and the FP stuff stretch and crossbow advertise about. I recently changed from Chevron with Techron to Lucas UCL, so far I seem to like the Lucas more.

I have heard lots of great stuff about Seafoam and seeing that the same fluid can be used in the oil and in the fuel AND injected into the intake manifold. I think I will try Seafoam next, knowing I do have a good bit of oil crap in the intake manifold.

·
Registered
742 Posts
The few people I know that tried the acetone on their beaters got a tad bit higher mileage. I personally wouldn't rule it out unless I tried it myself. Since the internet is full of shit most of the times you never know what to trust.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Also, try not to drive like 95% of other people out there that lunge towards red lights. . .take it easy while city driving, remember that you'll only be as fast as the next red light. All other points mentioned are good too, especially the tire pressures.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
gas prices just hit past the $3.00 mark in san diego, so..

do u guys have any suggestions of increasing MPG in the 6s?
I just switched to full sythetic and been shifting at around 3K when i drive, and been driving speed limit.. and I swear that this is helping..

the things i modded are listed below.. thanx for any suggestions..
[/b]
Get a motorcycle. :yesnod:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i appreciate it yall, and i will try to keep all these things in mind.. ^^^ A motorcycle would be the most ideal solution, but I'll give the Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant a shot as well as check for the ethanol in my gas. I usually get my gas at the cheapest gas station in town..

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
About this Discussion
102 Replies
43 Participants
jaysonday
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing