Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to increase some HP?

Have you guys heard of FUELMAX or BROQUET or even CYCLONE II ?
Do they really work?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Increase HP.'

No, No, Yes, and No. The only increase you will get is in the lightness of you wallet.

The only way to increase HP is to get more fuel/air into the cylinder. Most of todays small engines are near their peak HP (NA) as they come from the factory. Opening up the intake/exhaust (header, cat-back free flow muffer(s) and custom intake) may free up a few HP but don't expect major gains.

I've seen Miata people spend $1,000 and only pick up 15HP.

Now a turbo or supercharger, that's a different story.

·
Registered
514 Posts

Agreed. Anything more than $200 for an NA car in my opinion is a waste of money. Spend the cash on handling and perhaps some racing school. That will make your car faster than any engine mods you could think of.

-Alt

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Turbo/super charger aside, I would say that your best bang for the buck would be getting a true col air intake, for say $250, you can usually add some decent HP. After the CAI, I would get better tires, then exhaust headers then the cat back exhaust. Changing out the intake exhaust system usually runs about ~$1,000 done right, and could add up to ~20 WHP. I've never heard of any real gains from fuel additives, spark plugs, or CPU add on's like the viper. There really is no magic bullet, you can also reduce weight on the car, such as light weight wheels, battery, brakes, etc.... but that isn't cheap either.

·
Registered
464 Posts

Also many times companies will release ECU's for cars that better time engine things and have better air/fuel ratios etc. I know for a fact that some cars can add quite a performance boost but this is usually felt when used in addition to other addons like catback + cai.

EDIT: also forgot headers

ECU is expensive on some cars, some cars its cheaper. Depends on make, model etc.

Biggest gains are def gonna be seen in turbo setup but then you have to check to make sure the engine can handle the PSI, make sure your exhaust isnt being restrictive, etc etc.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Aftermarket ECUs are quite expensive. I know on a NA (normally asperated) Miata they are only good for about 10Hp with out other engine work. $100/hp is very expensive ponies.

Aftermarket intakes will usually improve the throtle response and sound but unless the stock intake is a total piece of restrictive junk and sucking hot engine air, HP gains will be in the 3-7 HP range. With the throtle in the 6 being computer controled, even throtle responce may not improve.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thank you all for the response.

Will ECU damage the engine ( in the long run )? I know for sure that will void any warranty that comes with the M6.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Will a "properly tuned" aftermarket ECU damage the engine? No. But the phrase "properly tuned" is the catch.

Some ECUs come with base setting for certain cars that have been work out by the manufacturer of the unit. But even those setting need to be tweaked to the car. If your car is not supported then the user must do all tuning. Most require that you have a laptop computer to run the software to setup the ECU. Then there is the dyno time...

Unless you are going down the Forced Induction (turbo/supercharger) road, I don't think it would be worth the time and money.

If you are thinking of FI, just remember that they call it going over to the "Dark Side". Power corrupts. FI power corrupts absolutely.

·
Registered
657 Posts

My main area of performance knowledge is on the VW 1.8T (I'm moderator on a 1.8T forum) and there are a few ECU companies that will give you 45 WHP for $500. With the NA engines, like the VR6, you're looking at about 12 BHP for $250-300.

Now, from what I understand, an ECU upgrade WONT be available for the 6, at least in it's standard form. The computer is completely sealed off, so they'll have a flashable programmer available to the public to purchase, so we can program our own. Of course, this is good AND bad. Good, because we'll have the really smart people coming up with new & inventive ways to tweak that last pony out of the engines, as a custom flash will have infinite possibilities, but bad because a few blockheads will THINK they're really smart and blow their engines. Me? I'll wait till the company (I think Diablo?) comes out with the flasher, and a recommended way to change the settings. After that I'll wait till someone else finds out what works better, and then I'll wait a few months longer and see if those mods are reliable.

Oh yeah, another good thing: self-flashable ECUs = returned to stock before a visit to the dealer. No more voided warranties if done correctly.

·
Registered
464 Posts

Originally posted by Entropism

My main area of performance knowledge is on the VW 1.8T (I'm moderator on a 1.8T forum) and there are a few ECU companies that will give you 45 WHP for $500.  With the NA engines, like the VR6, you're looking at about 12 BHP for $250-300.

Now, from what I understand, an ECU upgrade WONT be available for the 6, at least in it's standard form.  The computer is completely sealed off, so they'll have a flashable programmer available to the public to purchase, so we can program our own.  Of course, this is good AND bad.  Good, because we'll have the really smart people coming up with new & inventive ways to tweak that last pony out of the engines, as a custom flash will have infinite possibilities, but bad because a few blockheads will THINK they're really smart and blow their engines.  Me?  I'll wait till the company (I think Diablo?) comes out with the flasher, and a recommended way to change the settings.  After that I'll wait till someone else finds out what works better, and then I'll wait a few months longer and see if those mods are reliable.

Oh yeah, another good thing:  self-flashable ECUs = returned to stock before a visit to the dealer.  No more voided warranties if done correctly.[/b]
since you know about VW, isnt it true that Audi sells upgraded ECU chips for their 1.8T A4's direct at the dealership that dont void the warranty and give 40+ HP?

·
Registered
657 Posts

SOME dealerships have a partnership with APR or GAIC, and do the work at the dealership, under warranty, but it's NOT Audi. The dealer puts their own warranty on it, and basically keeps it quiet. Some VW dealers do this too. In fact, in south florida, there's a Honda dealer that does EVERYTHINGto their cars, from ricey bodykits to full hydraulic systems, under warranty and for a hefty price. It all depends on where you go.

But no, it's not Audi themselves doing the changes.

·
Registered
286 Posts

Why doesn't Mazda follow the subaru model and warranty the approved aftermarket products? I know down at the Suby dealership in Gwinette, you can bring them your aftermarket mods and they'll install and warranty it for you. That's a great deal, if you ask me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts