Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a 2005 upgrade Mazda 6 2.3 hatch and when I'm driving, sometimes the steering is spot on, then all of a sudden (usually on some slightly rough roads) you can feel the steering pulling noticeably to the left and then return to normal later on down the road, sometimes quickly, others a little longer. If you let go of the steering when this happens it is very pronounced. Seems to happen more frequently when backing off the revs. I have tried braking while this is happening and it pulls up without dragging on the steering any further. For a wheel alignment problem I thought it would be a constant pull one way. Would it be something for stability control gone amiss?

Any ideas what could be causing this?

·
Registered
403 Posts
QUOTE (Shane-o @ Jan 9 2010, 04:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1628406
I have just bought a 2005 upgrade Mazda 6 2.3 hatch and when I'm driving, sometimes the steering is spot on, then all of a sudden (usually on some slightly rough roads) you can feel the steering pulling noticeably to the left and then return to normal later on down the road, sometimes quickly, others a little longer. If you let go of the steering when this happens it is very pronounced. Seems to happen more frequently when backing off the revs. I have tried braking while this is happening and it pulls up without dragging on the steering any further. For a wheel alignment problem I thought it would be a constant pull one way. Would it be something for stability control gone amiss?

Any ideas what could be causing this?[/b]
Check your tie rod ends.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Funny, I just bought the same car (ie: 2005 Mazda 6 Hatchback) with the same issue (except to the right). I found two things that helped where when I changed my tires and then did a wheel alignment. Now I still get a pull one way or the other, but I think that's the road surface and the wide tires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (mclarenf3 @ Jan 17 2010, 02:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1630312
Funny, I just bought the same car (ie: 2005 Mazda 6 Hatchback) with the same issue (except to the right). I found two things that helped where when I changed my tires and then did a wheel alignment. Now I still get a pull one way or the other, but I think that's the road surface and the wide tires.[/b]
Sounds like you nailed my problem.
At 30,000km's on the clock, I didn't think anything mechanical in the front end should have gone yet, and couldn't feel any slop in the tie-rod ends or any other joints. They were all very tight.

I just discovered the previous owner of my car got two new tyres, but put them on the back. Went to a front end shop and when they hoisted it up I noticed the older front tyres had worn a touch on the edges. Got the new back ones swapped to the front and old, slightly worn ones to the back and then got new balances and alignment and the steering is great - hold onto the road and doesn't drift. The roads here in Australia tend to be fairly poorly designed, but the 6 handles them well now. Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
85 Posts
QUOTE (Shane-o @ Jan 17 2010, 02:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1630349
Sounds like you nailed my problem.
At 30,000km's on the clock, I didn't think anything mechanical in the front end should have gone yet, and couldn't feel any slop in the tie-rod ends or any other joints. They were all very tight.

I just discovered the previous owner of my car got two new tyres, but put them on the back. Went to a front end shop and when they hoisted it up I noticed the older front tyres had worn a touch on the edges. Got the new back ones swapped to the front and old, slightly worn ones to the back and then got new balances and alignment and the steering is great - hold onto the road and doesn't drift. The roads here in Australia tend to be fairly poorly designed, but the 6 handles them well now. Thanks for the suggestions![/b]
Glad I could help! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts